Nostalgia for Prayut Grows as "We Miss Loong Tu" Goes Viral

Expats with few ties to Thailand probably benefit from policies that keep the economy in the dump - things continue to be cheap, and there (possibly) would be fewer calls to limit long stay foreigners.

Not sure Prayuth was that guy because long stay visas got more difficult and the price of stuff has really shot up.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

The majority wanted change and voted for Future forward what they got was a Government by Gerrymander and card shuffling. Thailand is still under the Old Guard. no change yet if ever. I wonder if in Thailand democracy means Demonstrating Autocracy?

I have removed a large number of posts that discuss execution and criticism of a member of the privy council.

These posts are not only against forum rules but very close to breaking Thai LM laws by association, and that could lead to serious legal problems and suspension or ban from this site.

Please, I have no wish to censor discussion, but control your emotions and stay within the law.

Any further post of this nature will lead to a posting time out or more.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Granted.

However the party that won the most seats could not form a coalition government and therefore the party that came second were given the opportunity (as is correct and legal). They could and did form a legal coalition and thus became the government in power.

The problem is that if part of the coalition decides to break away the rest of the coalition may become a minority minority government and be unable to pass legislation which should result in a new election.

As for the PM being appointed, AFAIR no PM is elected by the people but by the biggest party in the government.

Under Prayuth's rule the PM was nominated by the unelected senate, who in turn were selected by Prayuth.

You are giving moral bankruptcy, power mongering and corruption a sheen of legitimacy, which it does not have. 

The last election was stolen from the people, plain and simple, no rational explanation can deny this fact. 

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, SbuxPlease said:

Expats with few ties to Thailand probably benefit from policies that keep the economy in the dump - things continue to be cheap, and there (possibly) would be fewer calls to limit long stay foreigners.

Not sure Prayuth was that guy because long stay visas got more difficult and the price of stuff has really shot up.

Check how much prices have increased in the UK! I blame it partly on all the money that was spent paying people to stay at home during Covid (Furloughed) The money had to come from somewhere  - now it's payback time!

• Agree 2

Yeah - my wife mentioned that a couple of days ago.  It seems the voters are having buyer's remorse with Srettha.  They need to get moving on those 10,000 THB handouts.  Unfortunately shortly after, the inflation here in Thailand is going through the roof.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

If I have to give credit to Prayuth it is that he managed the Covid pandemic better, leaving the population freer instead of locking them up like in the West and like China and consequently a better economic strategy for Thailand.

Now the current government due to inexperience and inability has carried out a series of desperate economic actions to try to revive the economy with the result a general chaos which, combined with the general economic situation, turns into a disaster in the country.

No doubt that this government will be clearly defeated in the next elections despite the waste of government funds on the 10,000 B. which will still cause a chronic lack of government funds for essential services and certainly not an economic recovery and these billions spent will be totally inefficient because consumed for superfluous goods partly imported from China and others country.

Edited by BE88
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, sandrew33 said:

Orchestrated campaign by certain parties no doubt. 

Things aren’t great but if people think the future is Uncle Tuu and the Watch collector then they need urgent help 🙂 

Youcan call me lung but do not call me lung tuu

18 hours ago, John Drake said:

So all you people still criticizing Prayuth. Happy to be taxed on your remittances and global income now? Enjoying the skyrocketing rent and cost for housing. How about those sky high electric bills. You didn't know when you had it good. And you still don't realize it.

Ahem...."Happy to be taxed on your remittances and global income now?".......you might want to wake up......they are taxing everything they can now because the country is broke exactly because of that retards governance.

14 hours ago, sambum said:

Check how much prices have increased in the UK! I blame it partly on all the money that was spent paying people to stay at home during Covid (Furloughed) The money had to come from somewhere  - now it's payback time!

Absolutely......and this was caused by who????.....oh yes, the ones who tried to cover it all up.... AGAIN! (Asian Flu 1957, Bird flu 1997, Sars 2002)....china.

The world is in it's current economic crisis exactly because of these lying criminals....never forget that!

• Agree 1

Prayut, or any leader anywhere, will always have their supporters.  It doesn't mean that the entire country is still supporting him.

In Russia, there are still people who miss the Soviet Union.  It doesn't mean that everyone does -but it does explain why people support Putin.  Their economy, wages, and future is in the toilet, but Putin brought back feelings of a strong & powerful Russia.  (No. I do not feel this way.)

16 hours ago, John Drake said:

Prices did not shoot up under Prayuth, except during the beginning of the lockdown, when I saw people going into places like Foodland and panic buying all the chicken, beef, and pork. Fact is, Prayuth regulated and subsidized something like electricity that benefitted especially the poor and was even "sustainable" with the sub 300 kwh usage discount. Then there was the half and half program, about which there was a post today in an unfortunately neglected topic https://www.thaipbsworld.com/half-half-resurfaces-in-yet-another-month-when-no-one-can-blink/   It was superior to the digital wallet in just about every category, including but especially its use wherever participants lived and in the requirement that people contribute their own fair share of money before getting benefits. It's something Prayuth did well during covid. In fact, his record during covid continues to be unjustly smeared. Thailand was better off than most--far better off. Fewer people died, and people had more measurable freedom to move around than in places such as the US. I've already listed above additional areas in which he was not only better than the current government but in practical terms successful. Prayuth was a status quo politician. That was what was needed in Thailand and may still be needed, instead of radical chaos. 

Very precise and honest comment.   Prayut did a heck of a lot for Thailand and it's poor while he was PM.  The current situation does not even come close .....   

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, ChipButty said:

The army is watching, don't be surprised if they don't take over in September, 

They already run the country and always will, the man at the very top makes sure of that.....

• Agree 1

14 hours ago, MrJ2U said:

Who doesn't enjoy an inept dictator that bankrupted the nation and made getting a visa a pain in the ass.

Getting retirement extension is the same except for how long the money is in the bank.

Getting a marriage extension became more difficult not becoz of him but because there were a lot of Sham Marriages, like young guys marrying very old Women, they are the ones that forked that. Just saying.

Edited by brianthainess
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Suua said:

Ahem...."Happy to be taxed on your remittances and global income now?".......you might want to wake up......they are taxing everything they can now because the country is broke exactly because of that retards governance.

And what have you had to pay more tax on ? do tell.

17 hours ago, SbuxPlease said:

How did he make long stay 'Visas' I presume you mean extensions more difficult ?

Most were caused by abuse of the system.