All the Blood pressure medications

1 hour ago, Moonlover said:

I have a book called the Science of Breath. which outlines many different routines and there are many more on the web. But I think the real secret is to find the one that suits you the best. Following ones instinct think is the best way to go.

My instinct says IN, then OUT, repeat without stopping. 555

Slowly IN for 8 seconds, hold for 4, then OUT through my gob for 7 seconds seems to work for me, drops my first morning BP by up to 10 points.

Edited by KannikaP

Just now, KannikaP said:

My instinct says IN, then OUT, repeat without stopping. 555

5555 Same here...and my response to my kids who are into this breathing 'lark'.....BUT.....I did try deep breaths, holding, then slowly exhaling.....and did find it quite relaxing????

• Like 1

On 8/5/2024 at 3:30 AM, BigStar said:

Tina Turner didn't. Left her high BP untreated and so had a stroke, destroyed her kidneys, and hastened her demise.

same with peter sellers  when his died his BP  was 200/300 so i read somewhere or was it 300/200 

Posted (edited)
On 8/5/2024 at 2:55 AM, Sheryl said:

Why on earth do you assume you will "suffer side effects"? Most people do not.

I think you know very well the substantial risks of leaving your BP untreated.

Back to the Doctor (GP) yesterday.

My blood pressure was 162/165

He got angry with me ,for not taking the BP

He started to scare me ,your heart attack material he says .

He was rude to me.

"Of course you know more than me don't you !

He said to me .but said it with a smile on his face 

"In all probability you will probably  die of a heart attack" with blood pressure like that " he says 

I thought WTF?

I feel fine I said 

"Where did you get your medical degree? he asked with a smile like a smiling assassin 

"You seem to know more than me he says back smiling rudely 

I  rush home and take the Valsartin because this "nasty smiling" doctor has given me PTSD 

24 hours later my BP is 136 ( I test myself) and I don't feel tired or fatigued like I did on those Amlodipine they once gave me !!!!

But...it's early days , we will see if it has side effects 

Edited by georgegeorgia

Posted (edited)

If anyone is interested this is the medication here I took 

It's Valsartin but for some reason it has DILART on it 

My blood test was 165 at the Doctor office yesterday & today it's 136 ,never been that low in years !

I feel good after taking these so if you can't take Amlodipine try these 

This cost me $7 Aud in Australia about 180b

What's the price in Thailand?

I can buy over the counter in Thailand!

I only plan to take them for a month or so

Once my BP gets down to say 125

Its early days of course maybe there will be side effects😯

IMG_20240809_074254.jpg

Edited by georgegeorgia

On 8/4/2024 at 11:24 AM, Pumpuynarak said:

Thankyou to you both, most helpful. I've decided to seek advice from a recco'd doctor in St Mary's private hospital here in Korat (Dr Sumchai) in view of your post Sheryl as i'm a type 2 diabetic. 

On 8/4/2024 at 12:02 PM, Pumpuynarak said:

See below, i was just going to change to Losartan (Cazaar) for a period and see what happens to my ankle/feet swelling and continue to monitor my BP but considering Sheryl's post and advice i've decided to see a local doctor and discuss with him.

Saw the doc yesterday and he recco'd i try Zanidip 10mg (Lercanidipine) so thats what i am now taking. Hopefully i won't get the ankle/feet swelling. Only downside was the cost at 850bht for 30 tablets but that was from the private hospital, no doubt my usual supplier of medication Siam Pharmacy will be cheaper.

2 hours ago, Pumpuynarak said:

Saw the doc yesterday and he recco'd i try Zanidip 10mg (Lercanidipine) so thats what i am now taking. Hopefully i won't get the ankle/feet swelling. Only downside was the cost at 850bht for 30 tablets but that was from the private hospital, no doubt my usual supplier of medication Siam Pharmacy will be cheaper.

Do a google search....  Myself have been give over the years a few different BP meds  ALL ending in pine > gives me swollen feet & Ankles, just see what happens in a month or 2.

The most common side effects of lercanidipine are:
  • headache.
  • dizziness.
  • flushing.
  • a pounding heartbeat.
  • swollen anklIes.
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 8/7/2024 at 9:39 PM, swissie said:

Asking Dr. Google one (1) medical question will produce 10 answers. Take your pick, click on whatever you like best.

Much better to await "Sheryl's" advice. Like: What's the difference between "essential" and "pulmonary" bloodpressure.

Yes true, but most things one asks, being English I tend to go with what it say's on the English NHS websites

Over the years have noticed a large difference to what UK health say and what USA health websites say 

• Agree 1

Question for  Sheryl 

for over 20 years was on "Enalapril" do not understand why Drs keep changing the Med's must have had 7 or 8 different types in past 8 years..

I did ask a year or 2 ago why, Dr said then 'enalapril' is a very old drug there are a lot of better med's then 'enalapril' these days  ??  appears most don't work for me !

There are others in the Village that are Diabetic + high BP problems, asked 2 friends both in there 50's also take  losartan [Via Private Hospital] and appear the same, always feel tired and worn out

On 8/3/2024 at 3:23 PM, Presnock said:

I never recommend anyone take any kind of medication especially if a doctor prescribes it but...I did recommend to my mother who suffered from high blood pressure and had to regularly visit the doctor for a new perscription.  I told her about taking a garlic supplement for one month, then stop taking the prescribed medication but continue with the garlic supplement.  After doing this, onher next visit to the doctor's office, he remarked that the medicine was finally working.  He gave her a new prescription which she tossed into the trashcan - her blood pressure remained steady and within healthy limits for the next 20 years.  Just saying, I for sure don't know if it works but it seemed to do so for my mother

My mother suffered from high blood pressure for many years.

When I moved out she no longer needed medication.

I think it was a miracle  :whistling:

22 minutes ago, ignis said:

Question for  Sheryl 

for over 20 years was on "Enalapril" do not understand why Drs keep changing the Med's must have had 7 or 8 different types in past 8 years..

I did ask a year or 2 ago why, Dr said then 'enalapril' is a very old drug there are a lot of better med's then 'enalapril' these days  ??  appears most don't work for me !

There are others in the Village that are Diabetic + high BP problems, asked 2 friends both in there 50's also take  losartan [Via Private Hospital] and appear the same, always feel tired and worn out

Many people (including me) take losartsn with no problem, no fatigue.

But if it has that effect for you then certainly take something else.

Enalapril is still widely used. No reason to switch from it if it is working and no side effects.  It is also readily available at pharmacies at very, very low cost.

I think you need to be more assertive with these various doctors and not agree to change medication unless there is a reason. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

Yes !!!

I take 5mg to 10mg of Creatine a day

Okay. I always took creatine before a weights workout (3X / week) for about 5 years. Recently I spent a month in UK and didn't use any creatine whatsoever.

So when I returned here, I had to 'load' with creatine all over again. Within the first 2 weeks I gained some weight (muscle), but got headaches and high BP, and initially didn't know what was causing it. I stopped taking creatine and the headaches and BP went back to normal again. Creatine makes your kidneys work harder, and causes your body / muscles to retain water, I'm in my upper 50's now so I don't think I'll bother with it again, tbh.

Apparently, mixing creatine with caffeine and medication like NSAIDS (ibuprofen, aleve, etc) can be detrimental also.

Some further info here: https://www.livestrong.com/article/468682-can-i-take-creatine-with-high-blood-pressure/

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Enalapril is still widely used. No reason to switch from it if it is working and no side effects.  It is also readily available at pharmacies at very, very low cost.

I think you need to be more assertive with these various doctors and not agree to change medication unless there is a reason. 

Thanks

you need to be more assertive with these various doctors and not agree to change medication

Do not agree to anything, just when I get home find Med's have been changed... Local Hospital max time with Dr is 5 mins, there is no print out - just go to Payment window and pay for Hospital Services + Meds, only when getting home do I find some have been changed to something different or dosage changed.  ++ Plus   is Hospital is 15 mins by Taxi from home..

In 3 weeks going to Eye department at Red Cross, will see if I can manage the trip and if so go back to Red Cross, at least always see the same Dr + each Patient has 30 mins with Dr + get a printout of all Blood work + Prescribed Med's  > the minus point is 35 mins Taxi to Purple Line + 40 mins to underground another 40 mins to Red Cross Hospital + long walk + trip in reverse in the afternoon. - home......   

Reason changed  along came Covid = unsafe in crowded transport + Hospital also  change - must go the day before for blood work.

11 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

rush home and take the Valsartin because this "nasty smiling" doctor has given me PTSD 

You said that BP figures are BS and you were not going to pay attn to them and stop BP meds. Why not just stay the course?

• Sad 1

9 hours ago, Sheryl said:

I have never fully understood what criteria doctors use to prescribe different kinds of blood pressure medicine.

There are so many types of BP drugs working in different ways.Obviously doctors will consider overall health, possible side effects, any underlying conditions etc etc

But my question is whether if a drug/combination of drugs combined with healthy personal habits (little alcohol.no smoking, appropriate weight, lots of exercise etc) achieves acceptable BP readings, does it much matter which of the infinite drug possibilities is followed?

I ask because for various reasons I consulted two excellent doctors in a six month period and they came up with two totally different prescriptions.I had mildly elevated BP but now 120/80 or thereabouts.

• Agree 1

37 minutes ago, jayboy said:

I have never fully understood what criteria doctors use to prescribe different kinds of blood pressure medicine.

There are so many types of BP drugs working in different ways.Obviously doctors will consider overall health, possible side effects, any underlying conditions etc etc

But my question is whether if a drug/combination of drugs combined with healthy personal habits (little alcohol.no smoking, appropriate weight, lots of exercise etc) achieves acceptable BP readings, does it much matter which of the infinite drug possibilities is followed?

I ask because for various reasons I consulted two excellent doctors in a six month period and they came up with two totally different prescriptions.I had mildly elevated BP but now 120/80 or thereabouts.

Commission that's why 

Drug Companies pay commission 

On 8/8/2024 at 8:43 AM, Moonlover said:

I have a book called the Science of Breath. which outlines many different routines and there are many more on the web. But I think the real secret is to find the one that suits you the best. Following ones instinct think is the best way to go.

James Nestor wrote the book "Breath: The New Science of a Lost Art," which became an international best seller. It discusses the history of breathing techniques and the importance of correct breathing (especially breathing through the nose and not the mouth).

Coherent breathing is the basic technique for synchronizing the various organs of the body. The Wim Hof technique is popular for boosting the immune system and improving general health.

The 4-7-8 technique was developed by Andrew Weil, an old buddy of Timothy Leary's back in the day and now quite famous as the founder of integrative medicine, a hoistic approach to wellness.  He proposed as a method of relaxing and, in particular, a sleep aid.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, ignis said:

Thanks

Do not agree to anything, just when I get home find Med's have been changed... Local Hospital max time with Dr is 5 mins, there is no print out - just go to Payment window and pay for Hospital Services + Meds, only when getting home do I find some have been changed to something different or dosage changed.  ++ Plus   is Hospital is 15 mins by Taxi from home..

Before paying ask to see what the medications are. If you find a different BP med has been given despite old one working well (and no special reason gjven by doctor) just refuse it. Easiest wy of doing that without making waves is  to just say you already have it. 

The savings in getting most BP meds from govt hospital vs outside  pharmacy are negligible.

• Agree 1

On 8/3/2024 at 4:51 PM, swissie said:

So far I was on 3 different BP medications. (including Valsartin). All of them had one thing in common: They ALL made me tired, weak and listless.

Garlik was mentioned here, I will try it.

Needless to say, if I will meet people I don't really like, I will use raw garlik before. When meeting people I like, I will use a garlik substitute before.

Sorry to say, but Garlik doesen't work to lower BP in a meaningful way. But has other benefits. Among other things it may keep Count Dracula away from you.

11 hours ago, jaywalker2 said:

James Nestor wrote the book "Breath: The New Science of a Lost Art," which became an international best seller. It discusses the history of breathing techniques and the importance of correct breathing (especially breathing through the nose and not the mouth).

Coherent breathing is the basic technique for synchronizing the various organs of the body. The Wim Hof technique is popular for boosting the immune system and improving general health.

The 4-7-8 technique was developed by Andrew Weil, an old buddy of Timothy Leary's back in the day and now quite famous as the founder of integrative medicine, a hoistic approach to wellness.  He proposed as a method of relaxing and, in particular, a sleep aid.

My interest in the efficacy of good breathing goes way back to my 30s when I took up yoga. I was also an active SCUBA diver at the time so breath control came quite naturally to me. I now practice Qigong which is a branch of Traditional Chinese Medicine (most folks are more familiar with Tai Chi which is a form of Qigong)

The style I practice integrates  breath control, exercise and meditation all into one very enjoyable session, twice a day. My instructor is always extolling the health benefits of this art and it certainly seems to work for me. I haven't visited a hospital or a doctor's office for many years and my BP, whilst slightly elevated has never given me cause for concern. I'm 78 years old and still going strong.

10 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Before paying ask to see what the medications are. If you find a different BP med has been given despite old one working well (and no special reason gjven by doctor) just refuse it. Easiest wy of doing that without making waves is  to just say you already have it. 

The savings in getting most BP meds from govt hospital vs outside  pharmacy are negligible.

Government Hospital Pharmacy vs outside pharmacy

Yes agree, but 2 reasons > on my records in the Hospital shows all Med's I take,  [should I be taken to Hospital in a Emergincy] the other problem I have never found any Pharmacy in the area that sells Insulin...

Re Insulin at Red Cross Hospital always had a printout of all Med's so was easy to check the 2 cheap pharmacies oppisit on Rama 4, the same brand of Insulin was 156 baht per box more expensive outside of Hospital..  [MD Pharmacy + CHULA  BHESAJ  PHARMACY]  so used Red Cross pharmcy  why pay more for the same thing ?

If need anything from a Pharmacy use normally the same one pass most weeks going to Markro .....  eg: use 3" Gauze  per pack = 8 baht, nearist pharmacy to my house cost 16 baht same brand !!

4 hours ago, Moonlover said:

My interest in the efficacy of good breathing goes way back to my 30s when I took up yoga. I was also an active SCUBA diver at the time so breath control came quite naturally to me. I now practice Qigong which is a branch of Traditional Chinese Medicine (most folks are more familiar with Tai Chi which is a form of Qigong)

The style I practice integrates  breath control, exercise and meditation all into one very enjoyable session, twice a day. My instructor is always extolling the health benefits of this art and it certainly seems to work for me. I haven't visited a hospital or a doctor's office for many years and my BP, whilst slightly elevated has never given me cause for concern. I'm 78 years old and still going strong.

I also do all the things I'm supposed to be doing; I watch my diet, exercise religiously, I do breathing exercises daily, avoid stress as much as possible, I did Tai Chi for years...Even so, my blood presssure bounces between 140 and 150. I took Losartan, made my blood pressure go up, and now take a low dose of Amlodipine. It helps but not enough.

For some people, lifestyle changes aren't going to work. My father had high blood pressure, my mother, my grandmother. My mother and grandmother still lived to their ninties.

• Agree 1

Hospitals - Nurses - Drs appear all the same, you must have xyz BP reading..

The Hospital I use > arrive take a number sit and wait have waited for over 1 hour to get the paperwork > then all of 12 steps to the main waiting room at the door a nurse grabs you and MUST take BP + weight even if you have been there a day or so before..

If BP is over 168 then along come a bed and porter and you must lay there for 1 hour, if it has not gone down then another nurse comes with tablets you must take [more pills [refused to take as no idea what they were] this is before having blood work done and seeing a Dr.....  I cheated many times and took a BP pill before going to Hospital....  Silly.. > Dr told me to stop taking BP meds and go back the following week to see, I did not cheat so BP was over 200 = bed = 1 hr = still the same = wheeled into A&E at least spoke to a proper Dr and explained why

How can anyone get the correct Mrd's if the only way to see the Dr is to cheat  there BP machine ??

9 hours ago, jaywalker2 said:

I also do all the things I'm supposed to be doing; I watch my diet, exercise religiously, I do breathing exercises daily, avoid stress as much as possible, I did Tai Chi for years...Even so, my blood presssure bounces between 140 and 150. I took Losartan, made my blood pressure go up, and now take a low dose of Amlodipine. It helps but not enough.

For some people, lifestyle changes aren't going to work. My father had high blood pressure, my mother, my grandmother. My mother and grandmother still lived to their ninties.

Exactly.

Obesity, high sodium consumption, lack of exercise are all risk factors/ exacerbating factors for hypertension but not sole causes.

Some people no matter how thin and fit have hypertension. Such people should certainly avoid the above risks as they will make matters worse, but will also need medication.

My mother has always been thin and active, consumes little sodium, but has had hypertension since around age 45 -50. Thanks to medications she is now 94 & still going strong. Her mother, on the other hand (also slim and active) died of a hemorrhagic stroke brought on by hypertension at age 50.  

It is fine to urge people to control their weight, eat healthy and exercise but untrue to say or imply that this will always prevent need for BP meds. Sometimes will, sometimes won't. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

31 minutes ago, georgegeorgia said:

I have been taking this Valsartin now for roughly 4 days means 4 times times @ 1 @day

No side effects whatsover ...but...my BP is still around 152 today 😯

The maximum effect of valsartan develops slowly,  over a couple of weeks.

How much was your BP before?

Did you measure it after 5 minutes sitting still?

14 minutes ago, Lorry said:

The maximum effect of valsartan develops slowly,  over a couple of weeks.

How much was your BP before?

Did you measure it after 5 minutes sitting still?

It's always been between 150 to 165  the last few years without no side effects