Kim Jong Un Hopes for Trump's Return, Elite Defector Reveals

Social Media

image.png.da687d578cf365122da96d8c24655703.png

Donald Trump’s return to the White House would be a "once-in-a-thousand-year opportunity" for North Korea, according to Ri Il Kyu, the highest-ranking defector to escape the country since 2016. Ri, a former diplomat who fled North Korea with his family last November, shared his unique insights in an interview.

Having met Kim Jong Un on seven occasions, Ri described the leader as often smiling and in a good mood, praising people frequently. Despite this outward demeanor, Ri asserted that Kim would do anything to guarantee his survival, even if it meant the death of all 25 million North Koreans. "He could have been a wonderful person and father, but turning him into a god has made him a monstrous being," Ri explained.

image.png.ab18e33ba4f443e6fee443070123e12d.png

North Korea views Trump as a negotiable partner in discussions about its nuclear weapons program, despite the breakdown of talks in 2019. Trump has often highlighted his relationship with Kim as a key achievement, famously saying they "fell in love" through letter exchanges. Just last month, Trump told a rally that Kim would like to see him back in office, adding, "I think he misses me, if you want to know the truth."

Contradicting Pyongyang’s official stance that it "did not care" who became president, Ri suggested North Korea hopes to leverage Trump's personal relationship with Kim. According to Ri, North Korea would likely seek a deal to freeze its nuclear program in exchange for the lifting of US sanctions, though he warned that any such agreement would be deceptive and dangerous, merely strengthening North Korea.

Ri’s defection was driven by years of frustration with the corruption and lack of freedom in North Korea. His breaking point came when he was denied permission to travel to Mexico for a necessary medical operation. Despite living a life of relative privilege, he found his situation worse than that of a middle-class family in South Korea. His monthly salary as a diplomat in Cuba was just $500, which he supplemented by selling Cuban cigars illegally in China.

The decision to defect was a "life-or-death gamble," Ri said, noting that while regular North Koreans caught defecting are typically tortured and then released, elites face either life in a political prison camp or execution by firing squad. Ri's wife was initially so disturbed by his plan that she ended up in the hospital, and he only informed her and their child six hours before their plane departed.

Since arriving in South Korea, Ri has been under the protection of a police bodyguard and intelligence agents. Reflecting on North Korea’s current geopolitical maneuvers, he remarked that the Ukraine war has been beneficial for Pyongyang. The US and South Korea estimate that North Korea has sold millions of rounds of ammunition to Russia in exchange for food, fuel, and possibly military technology, allowing North Korea to continue developing its nuclear weapons despite international sanctions.

However, Ri noted that Kim Jong Un understands this relationship with Russia is temporary and expects it to end post-war. Thus, Kim has not abandoned the idea of normalizing relations with the US, which Ri believes North Korea sees as essential for its survival and economic development. The complete closure of North Korea’s borders during the pandemic severely devastated the country’s economy, and even now, families back home are asking diplomats to bring basic necessities.

Ri stressed that loyalty to Kim Jong Un is no longer genuine but forced, driven by fear rather than devotion. "There is no genuine loyalty to the regime or to Kim Jong Un anymore," he said, adding that the hardships have eroded any real allegiance, leaving people with no expectations from their "Supreme Leader."

Ri’s revelations paint a complex picture of North Korea’s internal and external strategies, highlighting the potential impact of a Trump presidency on the future of US-North Korea relations.

Credit: BBC  2024-08-05

news-logo-btm.jpg

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

Cigna offers a variety of health insurance plans designed to meet the minimum requirement for medical treatment coverage, with benefits reaching up to THB 3 million. These plans are tailored to provide comprehensive healthcare solutions for expatriates, ensuring peace of mind and access to quality medical services. To explore the full range of Cigna's expat health insurance options and find a plan that suits your needs, click here for more information.

• Haha 1

There must be some sympathy for the ordinary citizens of North Korea. Let's hope the west thinks of a solution that doesn't involve millions dying. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, Social Media said:

Ri asserted that Kim would do anything to guarantee his survival, even if it meant the death of all 25 million North Koreans. "He could have been a wonderful person and father, but turning him into a god has made him a monstrous being," Ri explained.

Power corrupts character .

Need to have a strong personality to resist that .

4 hours ago, Social Media said:

famously saying they "fell in love" through letter exchanges. Just last month, Trump told a rally that Kim would like to see him back in office, adding, "I think he misses me, if you want to know the truth."

Ouf ... I think Donald envies Kim ...

May be Trump thinks that he can learn something from Kim ... about becoming a totalitarian leader .

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, Social Media said:

Ri stressed that loyalty to Kim Jong Un is no longer genuine but forced, driven by fear rather than devotion. "There is no genuine loyalty to the regime or to Kim Jong Un anymore," he said, adding that the hardships have eroded any real allegiance, leaving people with no expectations from their "Supreme Leader."

lies. my superiors tell me that this officer is trying to poison the well. we in NK categorically deny all of this as propaganda. in fact we have made a sizeable donation to actblue to show our support.

long live our dear leader. 

Edited by stoner
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Booked a flight there yet?

Plenty of grass there.

no need they have me located at an old familiar....special training school no. 103. 

Edited by stoner

For once I am on the same sheet as Kim Jong un, mainly because the chances of triggering off an open war between Europe and Russia are considerably fewer than under Harris. It remains with the American voters to decide but if Harris makes it, then Europe is most likely lost as the US war gear industry by the chosen people will not stop at anything. 

Trump is the lesser evil, the one-eyed among the blinds but .... as said, the Yanks have to choose 

• Sad 4

I could have been sent to a pollical prison camp he said.

8 hours ago, Social Media said:

"He could have been a wonderful person and father, but turning him into a god has made him a monstrous being," Ri explained.

Mmm now I wonder what other country that reminds me of, closer to home.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1