Why is Thailand not full of so called Asylum Seekers?

On 8/5/2024 at 7:22 PM, bob smith said:

why is thailand not overflowing with asylum seekers?

why are thai hotels not full of migrants that came over on boats?

Really? you have to ask that question? 

or is this a thread to get the dogs howling? 

If you were an asylum seeker where would you chose to go and make a life? in a poor country or a rich country? 

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, sirineou said:

Really? you have to ask that question? 

or is this a thread to get the dogs howling? 

If you were an asylum seeker where would you chose to go and make a life? in a poor country or a rich country? 

If I were the leader of a 'rich' country, I would shut all the doors to illegals. I would have the army and reservists patrolling my shores at all times. Any of those that slipped through the net would be rounded up and sent to camps for hard labor. That should deter those thinking about coming here on a small boat..

In my country, if I were at the helm, you come over with credentials to work hard and pay lots of tax. If you don't find a job within 3 months then you are sent back to whence you came. Proof of funds to support oneself for those 3 months would be mandatory to apply for the job seekers visa, as would proof of degree/masters/phd.

No freeloaders welcome, only grafters.

bob.

Edited by bob smith
  • Thumbs Up 2

9 minutes ago, bob smith said:

If I were the leader of a 'rich' country, I would shut all the doors to illegals. I would have the army and reservists patrolling my shores at all times. Any of those that slipped through the net would be rounded up and sent to camps for hard labor. That should deter those thinking about coming here on a small boat..

In my country, if I were at the helm, you come over with credentials to work hard and pay lots of tax. If you don't find a job within 3 months then you are sent back to whence you came. Proof of funds to support oneself for those 3 months would be mandatory to apply for the job seekers visa, as would proof of degree/masters/phd.

No freeloaders welcome, only grafters.

bob.

:cheesy:

• Haha 1

1.) No handouts.

2.) Those eligible for deportation aren't allowed to roam the streets until they depart at their own leisure (or refuse to do so, as it were), but are locked up at a detention center instead.

Big difference. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

On 8/5/2024 at 8:29 AM, NorthernRyland said:

All those people need to be sent back including their native born children. It's mental what our governments are doing to their people.

I didn't even realize the UK had birthright citizenship.

So I looked it up.

Apart from the Americas which is pretty much universally without restrictions, a surprising number of countries do have it with restrictions

Look at the UK and Thailand, it's actually quite similar

https://worldpopulationreview.com/country-rankings/countries-with-birthright-citizenship

• Agree 1

The government here is highly intolerant of asylum seekers. Especially if they come from countries like Burma, where they are under a real threat, and where Thailand is an ally and friend to their heinous army. Plus, they offer no benefits. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

genuine question.

I mean, the weather is warmer here than in the UK isn't it? why would anyone want to claim asylum in a country that rains 300 days a year...

does anyone know why Thailand is not currently full of Asylum Seekers seeking to relocate permanently in Thailand without any money in the bank?

thanks.

bob.

Evidently you haven't seen the refugee camps by the Myanmar border and can't distinguish people from Myanmar from Thais. My maid is a refugee from Myanmar. So are the three manicurists at the end of the road, and their brother, and most of the people who sweep the streets in this mu baan. 

The difference is that Thailand lets them in with very little fuss and allows them to work. 

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, Drumbuie said:

The difference is that Thailand lets them in with very little fuss and allows them to work. 

so it doesn't give them free hotels, money, clothes etc like the UK does, they actually have to work for a living?

right, got ya.

bob.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, DonniePeverley said:

Genuine question, but have you studied history?

The UK ruled over what is now Pakistan for nearly 200 years, and only left after World War 2. It was known back then as India.

These are the types of ignorant people in Thailand, no clue on history, or not having read up on it.

First, where was the question in the text you quoted?

Second, are any of the people from the mentioned countries seeking asylum in Thailand?

4 hours ago, DonniePeverley said:

Genuine question, but have you studied history?

The UK ruled over what is now Pakistan for nearly 200 years, and only left after World War 2. It was known back then as India.

These are the types of ignorant people in Thailand, no clue on history, or not having read up on it.

We all know this professor, but since Pakistan was established we have not invaded the dump, they have invaded us along with Bangladeshis.

• Like 1

Thailand would turn all those boat seekers away. They could care less if they don’t got money they don’t want them. In England, they don’t do the same all Thailand cares about is one thing you know that BOB I think you post all these threads every day cause you must have a very boring life. I thought you were leaving on a cargo ship to go back to the UK away once before didn’t you leave and you said you were never coming back and three days later you said you came back, L O L get a life BOB  TIT

On 8/5/2024 at 8:08 PM, connda said:

Then if a Myanmar couple have a kid in Thailand - anchor baby

Doesn't work in Thailand. In order for a baby born on Thailand to get a Thai citizenship at least one of the parents must hold a Thai citizenship.

• Agree 2

On 8/5/2024 at 8:08 PM, connda said:

There is very legal avenues for migrant immigration from Myanmar to Thailand. I see them at immigration as well as at local provincial hospital where they register for free healthcare. Then if a Myanmar couple have a kid in Thailand - anchor baby.  I know, I have friends from Myanmar who will be living here the rest of their lives with their little Thai citizens.  Regarding illegal immigration from Myanmar?  I've got to guess there are migrant labor quotas so those coming in illegally probably couldn't get a spot on the labor quota. 

If a Myanmar couple has a baby in Thailand the baby is not a Thai citizen.  You don’t have friends here living the rest of their life with their Thai citizen because their baby is not a Thai citizen. 

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, TheFishman1 said:

Thailand would turn all those boat seekers away. They could care less if they don’t got money they don’t want them. In England, they don’t do the same all Thailand cares about is one thing you know that BOB I think you post all these threads every day cause you must have a very boring life. I thought you were leaving on a cargo ship to go back to the UK away once before didn’t you leave and you said you were never coming back and three days later you said you came back, L O L get a life BOB  TIT

ey, Fishman, listen up.

I post topics here that I think are relevant because that is what you are supposed to do on a forum!

If you don't like it, don't agree with it, think i'm a loser devoid of life etc (all of which are well within your rights) - then don't reply sir!

it's really quite simple, isn't it?

bob.

Edited by bob smith
  • Agree 1

On 8/6/2024 at 12:22 AM, bob smith said:

does anyone know why Thailand is not currently full of Asylum Seekers seeking to relocate permanently in Thailand without any money in the bank?

Because the Thai government is more sensible than western governments.

Who would want to enter a country that won't give you a free hotel and free food and medical if they can go to a place that will?

• Agree 1

I have just seen this thread and I have not read any of the replies.

The answer is obvious:

Thailand is not so weak and stupid like the UK to allow scum on boats to land on their shores and be given hotel rooms, free money, health care and food plus education and all sorts of other benefits to the detriment of those locals who have spent their lives paying into a system only to see these Aliens getting everything ahead of them.

And to make it worse this rabble hate the real UK people especially women and gays.

No wonder the UK is rioting.

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, sirineou said:

Plenty of money in Thailand, but as usual only in the hands of a few. Thailand has the infrastructure of a rich country though, which is why, I'm sure, that so many farangs choose to live there, rather than than a central African country.

It'd be a drag having loadsacash in a cheap cost of living country if one couldn't find a decent hospital.

• Agree 1

genuine question.

I mean, the weather is warmer here than in the UK isn't it? why would anyone want to claim asylum in a country that rains 300 days a year...

thanks.

bob.

https://help.unhcr.org/thailand/asylum/

As of December 31, 2023, 1,704 asylum seekers were registered with the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) in urban Thailand. 

After registering, UNHCR staff will contact the applicant to explain the process and gather more information. The applicant will then be scheduled for a Refugee Status Determination (RSD) interview, where UNHCR staff will assess whether they meet the criteria to be recognized as a refugee. Following the interview, the applicant will receive information about next steps. 

Asylum seekers in Thailand lack legal status and may face arrest and detention. They also do not have the right to work or access essential services on the same level as Thai citizens. For most urban refugees in Thailand, resettlement to a third country is the only long-term solution, but this process can take years. 

There are a lot of migrant workers (mostly from Myanmar), some of whom are legal, but many illegal ones.

1 minute ago, thaibeachlovers said:

infrastructure of a rich country though, which is why, I'm sure, that so many farangs choose to live there, rather than than a central African country.

Yes I agree. The first thing I noticed the first time I came was the infustracture, 

wink wink. :tongue:  

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, bob smith said:

I agree, and I fully support them.

Many people seem to be dismissing the rioters are far-right thugs without giving even the slightest acknowledgement of the severe underlying issues that have caused it. That is a grave mistake, imo.

What we are witnessing now has been brewing in communities for years and this is just the beginning.

bob.

Right, looting shops, burning down libraries and community centres, attacking the police isn't thuggish behaviour?   The silent majority will hopefully not be intimidated by the far-right. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/5/2024 at 8:21 PM, NorthernRyland said:

Because Thailand isn't stupid enough to take on dependents that provide no value? The so-called "migrant crisis" could be ended tomorrow by simply closing the borders and so this is what Thailand does.

:post-4641-1156694572:Simple mind:cheesy:

genuine question.

thanks.

bob.

OK,

I'll bite,

because Thailand won't put them up in hotels, give them money and houses.

• Agree 1