Thai food stall owner shocked by 50 million baht electricity bill

COVER-PIC-2024-08-06T161725.jpg

An electricity bill of 50 million baht shocked a Thai food stall owner in the central province of Chachoengsao. Locals in the area suspect an electricity scam.

The stall owner, Sombat, told Kom Chad Luek yesterday, August 5, that he found the electricity bill in the mailbox outside his home, which also serves as a food stall. This was despite having already paid this month’s bill of approximately 1,000 baht.

Sombat explained that he does not have a smartphone or mobile banking app, so he went to a grocery shop for help with the payment. The grocery shop owner was shocked upon seeing the amount of the bill.

The electricity fee shown on the app was 50,000,069.48 baht. Both Sombat and the shop owner checked the bill and noticed it looked slightly different from previous bills.

The bill was horizontal instead of vertical, but the other information seemed legitimate, including Sombat’s name, address, and electricity fee. It also stated that Sombat had missed a payment, which he denied.

payNktAkJZpA3rvOJlXe.jpg

Sombat told the media that the shop owner and other locals believed the bill was counterfeit, sent by a scam gang. They urged Sombat to ignore the bill and share the story as a warning.

As of now, the Provincial Electricity Authority (PEA), responsible for electricity distribution and service in the province, has not yet addressed the issue.

The same scam was reported in March this year, with many Thai victims taking to social media to warn others. One woman revealed she unwittingly paid the fake bill. Another victim disclosed that she paid the fake bill before all her savings were transferred to the scammers.

Each victim urged people to check the colour and pattern of electricity bills before making payments, noting that the fees on fake bills are usually higher than usual.

By Petch Petpailin

Photo via ThaiRath

Full story: The Thaiger 2024-08-06

-  Cigna offers a variety of health insurance plans designed to meet the minimum requirement for medical treatment coverage, with benefits reaching up to THB 3 million. These plans are tailored to provide comprehensive healthcare solutions for expatriates, ensuring peace of mind and access to quality medical services. To explore the full range of Cigna's expat health insurance options and find a plan that suits your needs, click here for more information.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Sad 2
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, snoop1130 said:

Sombat explained that he does not have a smartphone or mobile banking app, so he went to a grocery shop for help with the payment.

How can anyone run a business without a Smart phone these days. No Social Media advertising, no banking facilities, and unable to scan the QR code on his lekky bill.

Ah - "on the app".

It's a scam that's been going around for awhile now. The bills normally look like a normal bill, but if you scan the barcode or QR code it sends you to a different website where they try to scam you out of an outrageous sum by hoping you just "click" on "pay" without paying attention.

Edited by Kerryd
  • Like 1

Seems like to acquire a large sum they would want to target a large business but probably do not have access to the correct information.

Somebody could have taken a photo of the bill from the unlocked Mailbox and fabricated the counterfeit.  Good reminder that we need to be careful these days as it seems the scammers are everywhere

3 minutes ago, J Branche said:

Seems like to acquire a large sum they would want to target a large business but probably do not have access to the correct information.

Somebody could have taken a photo of the bill from the unlocked Mailbox and fabricated the counterfeit.  Good reminder that we need to be careful these days as it seems the scammers are everywhere

Scammer should prolly use the same bill layout as an original.

If the one picture landed in my mailbox it wuold be placed in the bin.

• Agree 1

26 minutes ago, J Branche said:

Anyone who could not see that this was a fake bill is as dumb as the scammers.

2 hours ago, thesetat2013 said:

We have the app and never look at the paper bill left at our door. It is too easy to fool someone with a fake bill using QR codes for payment. But the app will be what the PEA reads on the meter. 

I always check that the paper bill and the app show the same.

Luckily for me, I can read my meter every day as I walk past with the dog, and keep a record on my ECAS app.

I would have thought that the barcodes on the bill would lead directly to the scammers' bank account? Where is Clouseaux when you need him?

• Love It 1

5 hours ago, KannikaP said:

And the horizontal bill pictured, shows Bht 694 to be paid.

Indeed, i cant see where the 50 million comes into it!!, ah, i see it says 50 mill showed on the app, not on the actual bill.

Edited by LennyW

1 hour ago, LennyW said:

Indeed, i cant see where the 50 million comes into it!!, ah, i see it says 50 mill showed on the app, not on the actual bill.

Correct, the paper bill says Bht 694. But how did he know that the app said 50M if he didn't have a phone? And if he did try to pay it, his online bank, which he doesn't use, would have refused it. 

A few porkies going on somewhere.

Edited by KannikaP
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

This was despite having already paid this month’s bill of approximately 1,000 baht.

Look at his previous bills, never more than 200. And nothing showing for July, Watson?