Buying imported fruit is so hit and miss.

giddyup

I do love the fresh tropical fruit readily available like mangoes, pineapples, bananas etc, but also enjoy apples and oranges that are imported. It's pretty much a lucky dip whether these are going to be any good because there's no way of knowing how long they took to get here from country of origin, or even if they were fresh when they left.

Just threw away a whole kilo (299 baht) of oranges that looked fine on the outside but were all dried up inside. Same with apples, rosy red on outside, but taste like wet cardboard inside. Strangely, grapes always seem to be OK.

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1

On 8/6/2024 at 1:40 PM, scubascuba3 said:

The other mistake is buying fruit not ripe, i bought some plums, never really got ripe. In future I'll stick to ripe only

Some fruits, such as watermelons or strawberries, never ripen once they are picked. Others, such as melons or kiwis, ripen without any problems.

2 hours ago, Espanol said:

Some fruits, such as watermelons or strawberries, never ripen once they are picked. Others, such as melons or kiwis, ripen without any problems.

Yes but not always, as i found out with the plums, even persimmons are suspect, I once bought bananas in UK that went direct from green to black, not happened here though. These have a 100% success rate so far

IMG_20240707_122647.jpg

Edited by scubascuba3

14 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

These have a 100% success rate so far

But are usually rather sour..... I used to have the Mrs make Passion fruit juice for me for daily, breakfast, absolutely delicious, but it required substantial sugar or artificial sweeteners to make it palatable, such that I changed to tangerine juice. 

5 hours ago, jacko45k said:

But are usually rather sour..... I used to have the Mrs make Passion fruit juice for me for daily, breakfast, absolutely delicious, but it required substantial sugar or artificial sweeteners to make it palatable, such that I changed to tangerine juice. 

Not sour for me, have you tried with salt? maybe not ripe, not sure

11 minutes ago, phetphet said:

Me too.. Been sitting on the side for two weeks. Tried one yesterday. Still hard and sour.

i usually try to buy fruit that originates from pretty much anywhere except China or India. Preferably N.Z. or Aus.  But Tops has been getting a bit lax with their labelling lately. Difficult to tell what is from where.

The last batch of old oranges I bought were from Tops, had to bin the lot.

• Thumbs Up 1

17 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Not sour for me, have you tried with salt? maybe not ripe, not sure

No I have never taken to adding salt to fruits..... I was horrified during my very early trips in Thailand to come across salt in the OJ!

• Agree 1

It is not just "fresh" fruit and vegetables; the same applies to frozen foods.  I was a one of my local supermarkets earlier this year, in the frozen foods area, and there were about a dozen boxes of importable frozen vegetables, french fries, etc., on the floor, in front of the freezers, melting.  I pinched (as in touched, not stealing) a couple of packets; totally defrosted.  Went back the following day, the packs of frozen vegetables were in the freezer, rock solid.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1

On 8/8/2024 at 3:23 PM, Sticky Rice Balls said:

learn to like local produce???? when in rome......

Yes and No
Chinese produce is replacing local produce even at the markets
bigger cheaper and thanks to GMO or pesticides looks nicer

we now only buy direct from local organic farmers
i really think they need to start a "Buy Thai" campaign before it is too late

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, garygooner said:

Local fruit and apples pretty much for me. Not paying exorbitant prices for some imported fruit. Won't be trying the dozen large strawberries from Japan for around 1200 baht. 

Aren't apples imported?

My "BiC local" sells 4 smallish apples for B39, they are the best I have found, crispy and sweet.

You never see pomegranates for sale much in the fruit markets, or is it just me not spotting them?

8 minutes ago, GypsyT said:

The only imported fruit I'd like to buy is NZ "Envy" apples. Are they available in TH?

Available at Makro in packs of 4, and individually at Tops, though rather expensive.

A fortnight ago, 39 BHT each at Tops, this week 79 BHT each.

• Thanks 2

On 8/6/2024 at 6:20 PM, giddyup said:

I do love the fresh tropical fruit readily available like mangoes, pineapples, bananas etc, but also enjoy apples and oranges that are imported. It's pretty much a lucky dip whether these are going to be any good because there's no way of knowing how long they took to get here from country of origin, or even if they were fresh when they left.

Just threw away a whole kilo (299 baht) of oranges that looked fine on the outside but were all dried up inside. Same with apples, rosy red on outside, but taste like wet cardboard inside. Strangely, grapes always seem to be OK.

Buy when in season.

• Confused 1

For all  supermarket chains, I have had good luck when buying seasonal citrus from Australia (June to October). The Australian citrus around Christmas is ok too. US organic and Japanese apples are reliable.  Thai Pomelos win hands down for year round quality and reliability. They are also my favourite.  Mango is sometimes tasteless. Bananas and Grapes are another constant reliable fruit.  Of all imports, Australia, Japanese and US produce is my go to produce. They have pesticide standards. The Chinese imports, especially the  winter citrus  look sus.

Unfortunately, the local Lotus doesn't have the best quality produce. Villa is often a disappointment too. Tops is hit and miss, but offers consistent quality and a good selection. Hands down for quality is the market  at Bluport, but the prices are out of this world.  The cold and fresh food supply chain for retailers needs some investment.

My wish list for Thailand is Bell peppers. The green and multicoloured peppers are expensive and  in short supply. Mexico, Canada and USA are all able to grow affordable hot house as well as field peppers . Never underst0od why Thailand doesn't do similar.

On 8/20/2024 at 2:59 AM, Patong2021 said:

For all  supermarket chains, I have had good luck when buying seasonal citrus from Australia (June to October). The Australian citrus around Christmas is ok too. US organic and Japanese apples are reliable.  Thai Pomelos win hands down for year round quality and reliability. They are also my favourite.  Mango is sometimes tasteless. Bananas and Grapes are another constant reliable fruit.  Of all imports, Australia, Japanese and US produce is my go to produce. They have pesticide standards. The Chinese imports, especially the  winter citrus  look sus.

Unfortunately, the local Lotus doesn't have the best quality produce. Villa is often a disappointment too. Tops is hit and miss, but offers consistent quality and a good selection. Hands down for quality is the market  at Bluport, but the prices are out of this world.  The cold and fresh food supply chain for retailers needs some investment.

My wish list for Thailand is Bell peppers. The green and multicoloured peppers are expensive and  in short supply. Mexico, Canada and USA are all able to grow affordable hot house as well as field peppers . Never underst0od why Thailand doesn't do similar.

The Bell peppers in Big C looked old earlier in the week, the mandarin or small oranges turned out dry, today looking at the mandarins from Aussie, ummm, its August the season is from Nov/Dec to March/April...gave them a miss...pitied the Thai woman who decided to buy a bag.

• Thumbs Up 1