What Lifestyle Changes Have You Made to Improve Your Health After 40?

I still remember when I crossed my 40th birthday three years ago. I wasn’t looking after myself – smoking daily, drinking, and whatnot. Then I noticed my hands would start shaking if I moved them, and my knees would hurt a lot because I was just sitting all the time. It hit me that this lifestyle would end me soon. So, I started working out, going for a run every day, and making sure I ate proper food and protein.

Tell me, how can I take better care of myself and stay fit and healthy? Please share your experiences! Thank you 

• Thumbs Up 1

16 hours ago, Conan The Barbarian said:

I still remember when I crossed my 40th birthday three years ago. I wasn’t looking after myself – smoking daily, drinking, and whatnot. Then I noticed my hands would start shaking if I moved them, and my knees would hurt a lot because I was just sitting all the time. It hit me that this lifestyle would end me soon. So, I started working out, going for a run every day, and making sure I ate proper food and protein.

Tell me, how can I take better care of myself and stay fit and healthy? Please share your experiences! Thank you 

I have completely quit smoking and alcohol. 

I very rarely eat junk food, I've not had a Pizza in about 4 years, I only eat McDonalds/KFC/etc about once every 6 months (if that). I avoid processed food as much as possible.  

I don't drink soft drinks or juices.  Last time I drank coca-cola was more than 10 years ago.

I drink one cold, black, instant coffee in the morning and one protein drink.

I cook all my meals at home and eat around 400 g or more of poached chicken a day, with steamed vegetables (broccoli, edamame, mushrooms, red & yellow capsicum, carrots, garlic)

I also eat cheese, eggs, mackarel or sardines, plain yoghurt.  I eat a few squares of 85% or higher dark chocolate. Pumpkin seeds, chia seeds, flax seeds.

I don't have sore knees, back pain or any of the things that I hear guys my age (and younger) complaining about.

I'm 57 and 185 cm tall.  My current body composition is :- 

Top one is BMI.

I'm aiming to get my bodyfat lower, I'd like it to be sub 12% and I want my visceral fat sub 5% 

Just check my blood pressure and it was 101/65 

I usually go to bed around 9:30-10:30 pm and I aim for around 9 hours of sleep, although I do have some prostate issues so I get up 3-4 times a night to urinate, but I fall back asleep quickly.  I get up between 06:30 and 08:30 in the morning. 

image.thumb.jpeg.b97f832df762171fcd0727774aa62901.jpeg

• Thanks 1

Now in my upper sixties I stopped the running I used to do but now go for a 7 km walk every day. If it rains I have a treadmill.  I also since we have our own pool I swim 15-20 minutes every day.  This is all done before breakfast.  I found that 2 meals per day is enough for me to maintain my weight.  I also take some vitamin supplements as recommended by my doctor years ago. 

I used to eat a lot of junk food.  I’d have a bag of potato chips with me while watching tv.  I didn’t realize how much I ate.  I now either don’t buy them or if I do I only take a small amount with me so that I would be forced to get more if I wanted some. I found that this is a good way of controlling the amount I ate.

im lucky that I never smoked.  I do have a drink almost every day.  A glass of wine or beer and sometimes a little scotch which is less than I used to drink

Edited by statman78
  • Like 1

Early 50s here. I gave up alcohol, eat well (have some treats from time to time) and never snack. I prioritise breakfast with eggs and nuts, and try to eat reasonably high amounts of protein. All my research suggests that as we age, we need protein for repair.

I exercise daily which in my case is a very long walk. Any exercise is good - just do whatever you prefer.

I also take a bunch of supplements including fish oil, magnesium, B complex, K2 and D3.

I also think it's important to get yearly blood tests just to make sure everything is in good working order, and obviously if the blood tests show something is not optimal then you take action to rectify it.

• Like 1

My numbers have all been good since age 30 up to now at 75. Did a lot of running, whole foods, high fiber. Got into low carb about 15 years ago after reading Gary Taubes. I also read Doug McGuff's Body By Science about 5 years ago and changed my fitness regimen to a less-is-more approach, saving a lot of time and wear and tear on the joints, from Arthur Jones/Mike Mentzer/Ken Hutchens. P. D. Mangan is a current well-known trainer (not bodybuilder) following the approach. And reading the evidence in favor of intervals over traditional cardio, I just do a few interval sessions of 10 min each a few times a week. So I stay quite fit.

I suggest you read Steve Maxwell's Dear Over-45 Trainee…. Knows exactly what he's talking about. Has some good videos on youtube, some with training, others philosophical. I have his book on functional isometrics, using timed static contractions, and it's been quite useful at times.

• Like 2

Knowing how to optimize your health is one thing. Actually doing it is something else entirely, especially if you have no major health challenges.

I’m 73, but all my bloodwork is always within normal limits. Cardiac is fine, blood pressure fine, weight normal.  So for me, optimizing my health just means being at a point where I have more energy. Otherwise, there’s nothing I can pinpoint that anyone would say needed improvement.

Anyway, diet has to be the major component of any health improvement effort.  Proper diet, no or little alcohol, no smoking, and regular exercise. 

7 hours ago, Freddy42OZ said:

I have completely quit smoking and alcohol. 

I very rarely eat junk food, I've not had a Pizza in about 4 years, I only eat McDonalds/KFC/etc about once every 6 months (if that). I avoid processed food as much as possible.  

I don't drink soft drinks or juices.  Last time I drank coca-cola was more than 10 years ago.

I drink one cold, black, instant coffee in the morning and one protein drink.

I cook all my meals at home and eat around 400 g or more of poached chicken a day, with steamed vegetables (broccoli, edamame, mushrooms, red & yellow capsicum, carrots, garlic)

I also eat cheese, eggs, mackarel or sardines, plain yoghurt.  I eat a few squares of 85% or higher dark chocolate. Pumpkin seeds, chia seeds, flax seeds.

I don't have sore knees, back pain or any of the things that I hear guys my age (and younger) complaining about.

I'm 57 and 185 cm tall.  My current body composition is :- 

Top one is BMI.

I'm aiming to get my bodyfat lower, I'd like it to be sub 12% and I want my visceral fat sub 5% 

Just check my blood pressure and it was 101/65 

I usually go to bed around 9:30-10:30 pm and I aim for around 9 hours of sleep, although I do have some prostate issues so I get up 3-4 times a night to urinate, but I fall back asleep quickly.  I get up between 06:30 and 08:30 in the morning. 

image.thumb.jpeg.b97f832df762171fcd0727774aa62901.jpeg

If you want to get lower fat drop the cheese seeds and chocolate or have them monthly, high fat 

• Thumbs Up 1

Realizing the lion's share of your health results originate from the intangible world and filter down to the physical world is a big one.

Your dreams, goals, and intellect are nonphysical wavelengths of energy.  The law of attraction resonates bringing you whatever corresponding energy you are generating.  

My health strategy is to say a prayer with intention thanking God for health and vitality.  By default it occurs effortlessly.

• Haha 2

I gave up smoking just before age 40. My lung capacity went progressively from 3.5 litres to 5.5 litres a year later.

I have always exercised, but I have made it systematic over the last 4-5 years.

Peak weight was 100 kg. Got it down to 78 kg, now back to 84 kg. The 78 kg was with zero sugar, and low carb vegetables. Very boring.

Stopped drinking alcohol 18 months ago. Don't miss it. Never was a big drinker anyway.

Blood pressure normal, resting pulse rate 60 bpm.

I have had 4 forms of cancer. IMO I survived them all because I try to stay healthy, with diet and exercise.

There's a massive tome put out by the World Health Organization called "Food, Nutrition, and Cancer".

It's astonishing how often alcohol and obesity get mentioned, as statistically correlated with the various forms of cancer.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

If you want to get lower fat drop the cheese seeds and chocolate or have them monthly, high fat 

The chocolate is only 8 g per day

I eat maybe 8 cheese slices a week (one of the few processed things I eat)

What I need to do is some exercise.  I walk from Udomsuk to On Nut twice a week to buy my chicken fillets.  And I walk a lot generally as I don't use motobikes.

But I find working out on my own to be boring. I have a gym and pool that are less than 20 feet from my condo unit, but I never use them.

17 minutes ago, Freddy42OZ said:

The chocolate is only 8 g per day

I eat maybe 8 cheese slices a week (one of the few processed things I eat)

What I need to do is some exercise.  I walk from Udomsuk to On Nut twice a week to buy my chicken fillets.  And I walk a lot generally as I don't use motobikes.

But I find working out on my own to be boring. I have a gym and pool that are less than 20 feet from my condo unit, but I never use them.

Exercise is a great idea, cycling is excellent for cardio, Bangkok is tricky, i have friends who come to Pattaya to cycle, much more variety

• Like 1

19 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Exercise is a great idea, cycling is excellent for cardio, Bangkok is tricky, i have friends who come to Pattaya to cycle, much more variety

I did think about getting a bicycle in Bangkok.  I used to cycle a lot when I was younger, everything from road bikes to BMX (I was *very* good on a BMX)

But aside from the cost of a nice bike, I don't really see cycling as being that much better than walking. 

If you are walking you have to keep walking (or you stop!) but on a bicycle, unless you are actually cycling uphill, on flat ground most of the time you'd be coasting.  A few revolutions of the crank is enough to get you moving, then there is no reason to pedal, at least not until you slow down too much.

On a road you wouldn't be constantly pedaling as it's not a race and you have to keep to the speed limit.  

I'd rather walk 8 km a day (if I had time)

19 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Fat is not harmful. Sugar and high carbs are.

Your body burns sugar, carbohydrate and fat for energy. Sugar is first in line. Carbohydrates second, fat last. Carbohydrates are hydrolyzed to sugars in the stomach.

If you deprive your body of sugar, it burns fat instead to provide energy.

I have a healthy BMI. I eat cheese every day. I exercise every day too.

Yes, I know this.  Fat is important for a lot of bodily functions. 

I do intermittent fasting, not always but periodically.  To kickstart my weightloss I did one meal a day, for a few months, which mean't I didn't eat anything for 23 hours and 30 mins, then ate one meal that took about 30 mins to eat.   I weighed everything and used chatgpt to find out what my macros were (how much protein, carbs, fat, as well as the minerals in what I was eating).   

I no longer need to weigh things although if I add a new food to my menu I'll weigh it to check.  

I cut out almost all sugary foods and drinks from my diet several years ago, most of my carbs come from fresh, steamed veggies.  I eat a small amount of very dark choc for the antioxidants.

I'm trying to increase my fiber intake at the moment.  I have started mixing a tablespoon of Psyllium Husk into a small serving of plain yoghurt but I need to find more natural ways to get fiber into my diet without adding calories.

My waistline has gone from a high of 34" down to 31" 

3 minutes ago, Freddy42OZ said:

Yes, I know this.  Fat is important for a lot of bodily functions. 

I do intermittent fasting, not always but periodically.  To kickstart my weightloss I did one meal a day, for a few months, which mean't I didn't eat anything for 23 hours and 30 mins, then ate one meal that took about 30 mins to eat.   I weighed everything and used chatgpt to find out what my macros were (how much protein, carbs, fat, as well as the minerals in what I was eating).   

I no longer need to weigh things although if I add a new food to my menu I'll weigh it to check.  

I cut out almost all sugary foods and drinks from my diet several years ago, most of my carbs come from fresh, steamed veggies.  I eat a small amount of very dark choc for the antioxidants.

I'm trying to increase my fiber intake at the moment.  I have started mixing a tablespoon of Psyllium Husk into a small serving of plain yoghurt but I need to find more natural ways to get fiber into my diet without adding calories.

My waistline has gone from a high of 34" down to 31" 

I buy Kellogg's All-Bran or Bran Flakes on Lazada, and eat bamboo.

Bamboo has zero calories, rich in minerals, packed with fibre.

I am pretty sure Thais eat it to offset the effects of sticky rice, which is a champion at clogging the digestive system.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Freddy42OZ said:

I did think about getting a bicycle in Bangkok.  I used to cycle a lot when I was younger, everything from road bikes to BMX (I was *very* good on a BMX)

But aside from the cost of a nice bike, I don't really see cycling as being that much better than walking. 

If you are walking you have to keep walking (or you stop!) but on a bicycle, unless you are actually cycling uphill, on flat ground most of the time you'd be coasting.  A few revolutions of the crank is enough to get you moving, then there is no reason to pedal, at least not until you slow down too much.

On a road you wouldn't be constantly pedaling as it's not a race and you have to keep to the speed limit.  

I'd rather walk 8 km a day (if I had time)

Better to compare running with cycling, good cardio as the heart gets up easily, with walking even the 8km i do the heart stays low unless you walk up steps. Around 300 calories burnt vs 3 hours hard cycling 2000 calories

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

I buy Kellogg's All-Bran or Bran Flakes on Lazada, and eat bamboo.

Bamboo has zero calories, rich in minerals, packed with fibre.

I am pretty sure Thais eat it to offset the effects of sticky rice, which is a champion at clogging the digestive system.

"Bamboo," can you elaborate on that? Bamboo shoots you mean? or is it a brand of cereal...

2 hours ago, Freddy42OZ said:

on a bicycle, unless you are actually cycling uphill, on flat ground most of the time you'd be coasting.  A few revolutions of the crank is enough to get you moving, then there is no reason to pedal, at least not until you slow down too much.

An exercise bike makes that problem go away. You can do it indoors in the aircon while watching a video or listening to music w/o worry about distractions. You can do a session of intervals in as little as ten minutes. Call it hill climbing. Nothing like intervals to teach a man humility.

33 minutes ago, watthong said:

"Bamboo," can you elaborate on that? Bamboo shoots you mean? or is it a brand of cereal...

In every day market, usually with a small sachet of chili. Also on some roadside stalls.

Has to be cooked, in its raw state it contains cyanide compounds.

Bamboo.jpg

Edited by Lacessit