Foreign Volunteers Join Meeting with Pattaya Tourist Police to Improve Tourist Safety

snoop1130

1 hour ago, edwardflory said:

Read the RTP regulations to increase your NOT so vast knowledge of Royal Thai Police Regulation's. 

Use Google to translate if you can't find the English version.

Under limited circumstances a FTPA """civilian""" as well as a Thai police volunteer """civilian""" can make a legal arrest

And what pray are these 'limited circumstances' ? Anyone wanabee Walter Mitty who tried that on me would find themselves in Court. Not that they would ever have any cause to try it. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

So they are useless, that's obvious. But why [for X-sake] adult man would join this circus?

inferiority complex?

Nah! 

as we've heard many times: "When in doubt - follow the money"

I don't know about all of that "filthy 40" there were few cases of extortion committed by those "volunteers".

Translation services? from Hungarian to broken tinglish to policeman who barely can say "what you gonna do when they come for you"? Please!

Again: follow the money, not vanity, pride or [ROFL] public order.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Cream de la cream of expat communities in Thailand:

5884576.jpg

In case you didn't get it: this is how thais feed beggars and bums. Not even a table "you can eat on the floor"

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, NativeBob said:

Cream de la cream of expat communities in Thailand:

5884576.jpg

In case you didn't get it: this is how thais feed beggars and bums. Not even a table "you can eat on the floor"

Referring to the photo, I can see 2 benches for seating and one table with food on it so your comment "Not even a table" is incorrect.

2 hours ago, NativeBob said:

So they are useless, that's obvious. But why [for X-sake] adult man would join this circus?

Lots of clowns come to Thailand. 

It's a freak show these days. 

Go for a walk down soi Buakhou, second road etc. freaks, freaks and more freaks. 

Most of them have a deformaty and I reckon a mental illness. 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, jacko45k said:

I had a pal did volunteering.. yes he was a pretentious prxck, but it kept him from doing other silly things.  

thank you. very clear and informative. it adds-up to previous comments and makes a better picture.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

On 8/9/2024 at 6:29 AM, jacko45k said:

No not at all. 

Firstly it takes all types to want to do this type of voluntary work.... I can't explain that but ex police and military take to it. Then there are likely benefits to doing it, making other problems (perhaps say with immigration) go away. I hear they have their uses, usually getting round the language and culture barriers. Simply explaining to some drunken oaf, to pay his bar-tab, the alternative being to get locked up in a cell with 29 other drunks over the weekend, or to give the girl 200 baht and she will forget the affront of you goosing her.

I had a pal did volunteering.. yes he was a pretentious prxck, but it kept him from doing other silly things.  

Jacko I think the uniform might have something to do with it !

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Jim Blue said:

Jacko I think the uniform might have something to do with it !

Oh yes, it certainly appeals to those who like to dress up. I believe they pay for their own uniforms and one can see personal embellishments. They must be disappointed they cannot wear a gun. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Oh yes, it certainly appeals to those who like to dress up. I believe they pay for their own uniforms and one can see personal embellishments. They must be disappointed they cannot wear a gun. 

To clarify the situation when I was a TP Volunteer. 

When I joined the Chiang Rai TP in 2011, I was issued with 2 uniform shirts free of charge.  I had to pay for my TP baseball type cap. We were not allowed personal embellishments or firearms. However, on one occasion we had to attend firearms training in Chiang Rai but I did not participate in firing weapons. The instructor asked about UK police officers carrying firearms and I replied they do not, only in special circumstances (terrorism, royalty and diplomatic protection, nuclear establishments and armed response for example).  So, I have never been disappointed with not wearing a gun.

When I moved across to Khon Kaen, I did have to purchase 2 extra shirts. No baseball cap was supplied in Khon Kaen, but I was allowed to wear my Chiang Rai one. No such firearms training here. The only embellishment that was allowed were adhesive TP stickers for our vehicles to assist passage through massed crowds and vehicle jams at festivals, also police check points (very useful).

When I resigned in 2020, Khon Kaen TP allowed me to keep my shirts and baseball cap as I had paid for them. Now they are with me in Siem Reap, Cambodia.

• Agree 1

On 8/8/2024 at 10:49 AM, Doctor Tom said:

I live here, in part, to keep away from people like you.  I didn't  come 6,000 miles to a new country to be greeted by interfering wannabees 'trying to help'.  I don't need your help. just to be very clear,  I resent you all.  Google Translate does the job if need be. You look and act ridiculous and no wonder you get the response you get from the vast majority of normal expats.   By the way, there is no citizens arrest in Thailand and you are a civilian. 

You are absolutely spouting your arrogant mouth off in this thread...you obviously don't know anything about the Volunteer program (which by the way have been helping the Police/Tourist Police all over Thailand for over 20 years now), so maybe just better to leave your bitter useless remarks unsaid. 

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, couchpotato said:

You are absolutely spouting your arrogant mouth off in this thread...you obviously don't know anything about the Volunteer program (which by the way have been helping the Police/Tourist Police all over Thailand for over 20 years now), so maybe just better to leave your bitter useless remarks unsaid. 

No way mate.  They need to be called out for their ridiculous presence.  Where do you find them?  among the girlie bars and massage shops.  What do they look like?  Usually old retired folk, pale, over weight, bald, failures,  strutting about in some pantomime Police clobber.  Its pathetic.  Leave the RTP to do their job, or the tourist Police. Bitter. hardly, never bitter, just disgusted and sneering.   

• Sad 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Doctor Tom said:

No way mate.  They need to be called out for their ridiculous presence.  Where do you find them?  among the girlie bars and massage shops.  What do they look like?  Usually old retired folk, pale, over weight, bald, failures,  strutting about in some pantomime Police clobber.  Its pathetic.  Leave the RTP to do their job, or the tourist Police. Bitter. hardly, never bitter, just disgusted and sneering.   

If there is anything pathetic, it is you with your sour and outrageos comments. I know you will not accept this, but up north where I was a TP Volunteer for 9 years, our presence in uniform and whatever our age and build, we were always accepted and appreciated by everyone, including the Thai communities. Fortunately, Pattaya was "a million miles away" for us so we did not have to contend with "nasties" like yourself. May I suggest you go to your favourite bar stool, have a good moan about the TP and get "hissed"! No further comment from me.

Edited by Burma Bill
additional information
  • Thumbs Up 1

I'm sorry to interfere, but isn't this thread about Pattaya? Not Chiang Rai, Buriram and Kong Keng, but silly city of Pattaya?

I personally never witnessed anything worthy about "farangs in polo shirts". Except pretty nasty stories about extortion and "brown envelopes" for "assistance". 

As many things in Thailand are just a bad copies so I guess this "fatso-cooperation" is pure misunderstanding of the whole (and probably noble) concept.

PS: Who knows, maybe in Kong Ken they can be a marvels for local communities - Thailand is a big very diverse country after all.

Edited by NativeBob
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, NativeBob said:

PS: Who knows, maybe in Kong Ken they can be a marvels for local communities - Thailand is a big very diverse country after all.

I think you are being short sighted and have some dislike for policing figures more generally. One volunteer I knew of Indian origin was very helpful as he spoke, English, Thai and Hindi and maybe another one. He could very readily help some Indians who may have got into some situation with the locals and their behaviour, due to alcohol, was taking things in a bad direction. Not all of the volunteers are bullies strutting about like peacocks......in fact they do try to weed out the bad types. They have never needed to help me, but nor have I seen them create any issues..... although an issue I did hear of was when they tried to arrest a Thai ladyboy thief and he didn't like it too much.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Volunteers do it for free ?  Or do they get to share the brown envelopes?  There must be a carrot somewhere. 

• Sad 1

8 hours ago, balo said:

Volunteers do it for free ?  Or do they get to share the brown envelopes?  There must be a carrot somewhere. 

I don't believe so........ likely they avoid getting involved with that..... they certainly see it going on. 

6 hours ago, jacko45k said:

I don't believe so........ likely they avoid getting involved with that..... they certainly see it going on. 

I appreciate this post is about the Pattaya TP Volunteers however us Volunteers up north with Chiang Rai and Khon Kaen TP offered our services for free. In 2018 Khon Kaen TP started paying us 100 baht per call out/rostered duty pre-covid. In all my time with the TP I never witnessed any "brown envelope" scams - and that is true whatever you may think! No further comment.

2 hours ago, Burma Bill said:

I appreciate this post is about the Pattaya TP Volunteers however us Volunteers up north with Chiang Rai and Khon Kaen TP offered our services for free. In 2018 Khon Kaen TP started paying us 100 baht per call out/rostered duty pre-covid. In all my time with the TP I never witnessed any "brown envelope" scams - and that is true whatever you may think! No further comment.

Well Burma thank you for spelling K.K correctly .!

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Jim Blue said:

Proton    -  I bet your a bundle of fun on a Saturday night !

Usually at a concert with a flask of Sangsom, it's 10 baht cheaper in Big C than 7/11. :thumbsup:

• Haha 1