US Embassy Statement on the Dissolution of Move Forward Party in Thailand

10 hours ago, webfact said:

we urge Thailand to take actions to ensure fully inclusive political participation, and to protect democracy and the freedoms of association and expression.

they are asking for the impossible... whatever the US says it's not important, what big brother Xi says that's what counts, the rest it's just blablabla

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

AFAIK, no major or minor political party in the U.S. has been dissolved and banned, nor have its slate of candidates been removed and banned -- unlike what's occurred in Thailand.

Heck, in the U.S. system, even a convicted criminal can get to run for president and serve if elected.

The UK even had the Communist Party in attendance at the General election...😂

Probably handing out pamphlets on how not to grow to many cabbages..........🤣

• Haha 1

This was the British response - predictably anemic and cowardly compared with that of the US

In response to the Thai Constitutional Court’s decision to dissolve the Move Forward Party, an FCDO spokesperson said:

Pluralism and freedom of speech are central principles of democracy. The dissolution of another major political party in Thailand is therefore a setback for these principles. We encourage all parties to uphold democratic rights and representation.

• Sad 2
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, jayboy said:

This was the British response - predictably anemic and cowardly compared with that of the US

In response to the Thai Constitutional Court’s decision to dissolve the Move Forward Party, an FCDO spokesperson said:

Pluralism and freedom of speech are central principles of democracy. The dissolution of another major political party in Thailand is therefore a setback for these principles. We encourage all parties to uphold democratic rights and representation.

No its not, it's written in English..........😉

1 hour ago, Joe Farang said:

The US would be better off focusing their concern on their own electoral Clown show rather than sticking their pointy nose into the business of a country at the other side of the world.

Well once Don is relected, we wont be poking our pointy nose anywhere, it will B1s and F35s and go home. Big Beautiful bombs too. 

As to our silly government, its silly to criticize other countries when you persecute your own political enemies.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 2

The country with a two-party duopoly where third-party candidates find it difficult or impossible to get on the ballot, and where the government refuses to supply a presidential candidate with Secret Service protection even after his father and uncle were assassinated, and where the former president is afforded token Secret Service protection leading to an assassination attempt that literally missed by an inch - this country is lecturing Thailand about how democracy works and how all political parties should be respected - even though only two of its own parties are considered to be "official parties and viable to be on the ballots in the US."  Thailand is just doing what the US itself does - limiting the potential competition for vote and maintaining the status-quo.

Kind of hypocritical, 'eh?  Just saying...  :thumbsup:

• Confused 3
  • Agree 2

49 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

AFAIK, no major or minor political party in the U.S. has been dissolved and banned, nor have its slate of candidates been removed and banned -- unlike what's occurred in Thailand.

Heck, in the U.S. system, even a convicted criminal can get to run for president and serve if elected.

Well, in Thailand a convicted criminal can be a sitting MP....

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, jayboy said:

This sh*te after Rishie (Rich) Sunak got up for an official speech in front of 10 Downing Street to tell the British public that the election of George Galloway was "a danger to British democracy." Then more of the same from the UK government about Nigel Farage and Reform UK and all their candidates were insinuated to equally be "a danger to British democracy."

Then they have the gall to issue this pablum:
"Pluralism and freedom of speech are central principles of democracy. The dissolution of another major political party in Thailand is therefore a setback for these principles. We encourage all parties to uphold democratic rights and representation."  Blah blah blah blah yada yada yada...

In the meanwhile in the UK freedom of speech department, Britons are being told they'll face prison time for exercising their right to free speech for sharing videos of the UK riots.  Oh - and don't pray on the street.

Hell - you can't make this up.  It reads better than fiction.  So more hypocrisy from the bastions of "Western Liberal Democracy." 
Remember brown people: "Do as we say - not as we do.  Sincerely - your betters in the West."

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

12 minutes ago, connda said:

The country with a two-party duopoly where third-party candidates find it difficult or impossible to get on the ballot, and where the government refuses to supply a presidential candidate with Secret Service protection even after his father and uncle were assassinated, and where the former president is afforded token Secret Service protection leading to an assassination attempt that literally missed by an inch - this country is lecturing Thailand about how democracy works and how all political parties should be respected - even though only two of its own parties are considered to be "official parties and viable to be on the ballots in the US."  Thailand is just doing what the US itself does - limiting the potential competition for vote and maintaining the status-quo.

Kind of hypocritical, 'eh?  Just saying...  :thumbsup:

By the way - I'm not condoning the practice of dissolving parties or limiting any parties or their candidates access to be on the ballot.  Quite the opposite.  I'm offended by the undemocratic behavior.  I just find the hypocrisy to be quite over-the-top by the US and UK.  Now wait for the EU to chime in as well to lecture the brown people in developing nations about "Democracy."  You know - it is the "white man's burden" right?  Freaking hypocrites. :glare:

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

9 hours ago, Ned said:

Developments will follow the money. Whoops! The US is broke. People from the north are taking over down here boys.

That party touched the 3rd Rail in Thai politics, and got what would be expected.  Qui Bono attacking on that front?    Speaking of which ... the USA always prints more money to fund their "color revolution" activities and forever-wars. 

I hope Thailand can be independent from meddling from China AND the USA.  I listen to podcasters who take one side or the other - accusing one or the other of meddling, but few who are even-handed on this.

Regardless, I wish the USA would ST(hell)Up, and not screw things up for Americans living in Thailand by meddling in Thailand's affairs. 

I don't think the damage from James Baker III's involvement with the temple on the Cambodian border can ever be fully un-done.  And, they lost sway in Cambodia to the Chinese, regardless - to spite all the "US Aid" (CIA) funds they poured into Cambodia and souring relations with Thailand with their failed strategy.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

48 minutes ago, transam said:

Are you a Commie.....?  🤔

Well based on the plethora of posts I have generated on the subject of politics, I would submit that that question is idiotic.

10 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I wonder how the US would react if many countries all over the world would constantly criticize their misfunctioning democracy, outdated voting system, etc. 

they do

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Rob Browder said:

That party touched the 3rd Rail in Thai politics, and got what would be expected.  Qui Bono attacking on that front?    Speaking of which ... the USA always prints more money to fund their "color revolution" activities and forever-wars. 

I hope Thailand can be independent from meddling from China AND the USA.  I listen to podcasters who take one side or the other - accusing one or the other of meddling, but few who are even-handed on this.

Regardless, I wish the USA would ST(hell)Up, and not screw things up for Americans living in Thailand by meddling in Thailand's affairs. 

I don't think the damage from James Baker III's involvement with the temple on the Cambodian border can ever be fully un-done.  And, they lost sway in Cambodia to the Chinese, regardless - to spite all the "US Aid" (CIA) funds they poured into Cambodia and souring relations with Thailand with their failed strategy.

Please tell me about this temple boarder issue you're talking about. As I recall Baker was working on getting elections in Cambodia started and which did happen, but the prince lost and Hun Sen won. 

Don't recall anything about a temple issue at that time when baker was involved. (late 80's- early 90's). 

1 hour ago, couchpotato said:

Why?? ..foreigners are not affected by Thai internal politics.

You are dealing with basically a communist country (Thailand) which is Chinas number on supporter? You guys have 10 years max. If that long.. 

• Sad 1