9 hours ago, chiang mai said:

Despite the thousands of posts on tax over the past eleven months, the numerous authoritative links from the TRD and other professional sources, the embassy meetings and the numerous videos involving law firms, the basics of Thai taxation and the operation of DTA's is still not understood by so many people. I don't know what it will take to force that learning in many people, it's remarkable really, the problems so many are having, understanding tax outside of their home environment where everyone is spoon fed.

Many people were lulled in security by the very first government statement that disingeniously included " you won't have to pay tax if your country has a DTA with Thailand."

• Agree 1

21 hours ago, Sevenomma said:

Okay: You obviously dont want to listen to other people or read what they are writing. I said I am a Norwegian citizen and Thai law say I have to pay tax to Thailand when I live here more than 180 days per year. What is your problem? Are you poor or are you stupid or both?!

Thailand has people from many different nationalities living here full time.  Most are retired expats.  The majority, including myself, derive an income, and that also could be a pension, from their home country.  The majority have never paid 1 baht in tax here, other than VAT, and some property taxes.  

Like I said, all you have done is make a "donation" to Thailand.  Do you want a medal? 

I'm not poor, but not stupid enough to pay tax when I don't have to.  :cheesy:

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Sevenomma said:

Do you pay tax to your homecountry? 

Yes.

20 hours ago, Sevenomma said:

Why dont you pay tax to Thailand?

Two reasons.

1)  I didn't have to.

2)  I have no rights here, so why would I volunteer to pay tax as if I was a Thai citizen? 

• Thumbs Up 2

On 8/15/2024 at 12:40 PM, mokwit said:

No TM30 or TM47 either, you can stay under the radar.

Yeah one could get the gossip mongers where you live or someone stating to the local tax office!!!