New sofa which will last ?

kwak250

I have gone through a few sofa's here 
Last one was a L-shaped sofa that was 29k and started to flake like a reptile shedding its skin after 1 year

Bought at a well known furniture store.

Going to go for cloth this time mainly because we now how a cat and that it ripping the only parts of the fake leather sofa that are not cracked

Is it worth getting something like this as bought another that all the foam flattened in a few months and you might as well sit on the floor.

Starting to look at la-Z-boy sofas but much prefer the larger type and would need two 3 seaters

Screenshot 2024-08-11 174141.jpg

Screenshot 2024-08-11 174627.jpg

How many people will be sitting on the sofa at any one time?

A few years back I bought a Lazy Boy office chair, which started 'peeling' after a year. Went back to where I bought it, but they refused any replacement, emailed EZ boy in States, who fairly quickly refunded my money, and told the Thai shop to replace it. So cost me nowt. I got a different make instead which has been good for years. 

Edited by KannikaP
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

As far as I know IKEA has different quality grades for sofas, kitchen, and probably more. Some have 10 years warranty, some less. 

Yeah check relevant items, i know from experience the furniture can last for decades if take care. I have the same wardrobes in UK and Thailand

• Like 1

I'm getting ready to buy the 2 seat version of this electric recline cloth sofa. Price for this 3-seater is 33,900 baht. I've sat in these several times and they seem pretty durable. I prefer leather but it's hard to find good leather over here. 

110037788_c_Ledger_GY.webp

110032874_c_Ledger_3s_BN.webp

110032874_op7_Ledger_3s_BN.webp

110032873_c_Ledger_2s_BN.webp

Edited by Furioso
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

8 minutes ago, Furioso said:

I'm getting ready to buy the 2 seat version of this electric recline cloth sofa. Price for this 3-seater is 33,900 baht. 

110037788_c_Ledger_GY.webp

110032874_c_Ledger_3s_BN.webp

110032874_op7_Ledger_3s_BN.webp

110032873_c_Ledger_2s_BN.webp

Now the 3 seater looks good is that at Ikea?

1 minute ago, kwak250 said:

Now the 3 seater looks good is that at Ikea?

Sorry I forgot to mention it's at index living mall. Available in 2 colors I can send you the link if you like..unless it's okay to post here. 

Get one with removable cushions and removable covers so that you can wash them from time to time. Had ours ( from INDEX for 17,000 baht )  13 years and it still looks presentable and got a few years left in it.

sofa.jpg

• Like 1

My advice is to have made bespoke.

I use a lady in Chiang Rai who makes my sofa's, she also does curtains but she outsources those and I go direct to her sub-contractors.

Enclosed are 2 photos, the red one is 5 years old and used almost daily, the blue ones are 3 years old and used occasionally. Just keep turning the cushions over when the fabric moves.

What I like about her furniture, is it lasts, it's very heavy and about 60,000 THB for a 3 piece sofa set, but you can choose the style and the fabric.  These sofa's are my design and I have put 12 of this design in new houses I've build over the last 10 years or so.  The older ones still look like new.  The frames are VERY heavy, when completely worn out, she will utilise them again.

She also refurbishes the 5* hotel in Chiang Rai, if you want her details, PM me.

Temp1.png

Temp2.png

1 hour ago, kwak250 said:

This would be perfect.
10 year warranty as well

many thanks everyone never though of Ikea

Screenshot 2024-08-11 123902.jpg

I would say go and sit on it first. I was recently in the market for a new sofa so went to Ikea. Every single one I tried felt like sitting on a plank of wood. They were cheap but they were not comfortable at all. I ended up getting one in Index, around 40k for an L shape but really high quality and very comfortable. Plus they were doing ten months interest free payments. 

I also went to some bespoke places but very expensive. SB was all a bit naff. Index had the best selection and best quality in my view, at least go and have a look.

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, JeffersLos said:

Get the heavy wooden Thai ones, then put a good bed mattress on it. Get good pillows and good bedsheet covers.

Do you use the Pillows/cushions to achieve the sofa angled backrest as most of the Thai wooden long benches I have seen normally the backrest is not angled

I assume natural latex mattress or high density foam cushion grade 50D would be suitable for cushion

Here is video of a girl making her own sofa from plywood have to say end result looks good not sure about just using handsaw

• Sad 2

7 hours ago, proton said:

If cloth cover they tend to go mouldy, just replaced one after three years. Get removable covers

The problem is not in the cover, which can be washed, but in the foam rubber, which becomes flat.

10 hours ago, bob smith said:

my sofas never last long with the amount of bonking i do on them.

bob.

Seriously Bob I don't think you'd even get a dry throb.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Get rid of the cat. 

I had a beautiful sofa which was  expensive and it was totally wrecked by my wifes grandson using it as a trampoline.

12 hours ago, Furioso said:

I prefer leather but it's hard to find good leather over here. 

While it is not as prolific as it is in the west, good leather can be found in Thailand... but be prepared to shell out the baht... I just paid 70,000 baht for a single recliner and 80,000 baht for a double recliner... both imported leather and assembled in Bangkok... Lazyboy leather is middle of the road... just be sure it is genuine Lazyboy.