Is a different adhesive other than cement required for larger floor and wall tiles

Longwood50

My contractor indicates that a cement mixture is used to cement floor and wall tiles.  I had one person at a store say that tiles starting at 60 x 60 or larger have to use some form of stronger adhesive that has a glue in it.  Does anyone know for absolute certain what type of adhesive is required. 

You need something like this:

TILE ADHESIVE JORAKAY GREEN 20KG (homepro.co.th)

And, especially for larger tiles, it is highly recommended that you use a tile leveling system.

And, last but not least, make sure the gaps between the tiles are according to what is written on the tile box.

Summary: You can do a lot wrong with laying tiles. And it is a lot of headache, work and money to fix it.

IMG_7489.jpg

• Love It 1

Thai method of laying floor tiles are mostly using sand and cement on a concrete surface that is often not completly level .

The method is suspect as often the tiles begin to lift up after a number of years . 

They often do not leave any gap between the tiles and that hastens the lifting up .

It is best to make the floor completly level with self leveling cement and then lay the tiles using tile adhesive .

I have had difficulty in finding Thai tradesman that have knowledge on how to use that method and it is far more expensive for materials.

9 minutes ago, itsari said:

It is best to make the floor completly level with self leveling cement and then lay the tiles using tile adhesive .

Yes, but ...

Self-leveling cement is a good idea, and it is wonderful if it is done correctly. Unfortunately, it might be done incorrectly and then it makes even more problems.

I wouldn't ask anybody who is not familiar with that procedure to do it, because there is a good chance they will make the situation worse. 

A word of warning....watch them lay every tile, then after a day or two, tap every single one of them.

Check the batch numbers all match.

Don't let them try to hide chipped tiles.

Our tiles were a disaster........it took something like 10 man (person) days to correct for loose/broken tiles.

(Sorry if this is teaching you to suck eggs).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Yes, but ...

Self-leveling cement is a good idea, and it is wonderful if it is done correctly. Unfortunately, it might be done incorrectly and then it makes even more problems.

I wouldn't ask anybody who is not familiar with that procedure to do it, because there is a good chance they will make the situation worse. 

Preperation is the important part of using self leveling cement and working out the depth needed as some types are for 3 mm and others are for up to 10mm .

Biggest problem in Thailand is the cost for a large area and finding tradesman that are used to using self leveling cement.

webber tile adhesive, there is a clue in the name!

there are 3 different types, for tiling a pool(orange) tiling on cement(red), tiling on tiles(brown)

using a notched trowel, straight lines, works via vacuum

8 minutes ago, itsari said:

Preperation is the important part of using self leveling cement and working out the depth needed as some types are for 3 mm and others are for up to 10mm .

Biggest problem in Thailand is the cost for a large area and finding tradesman that are used to using self leveling cement.

My condominium floor was bare concrete, previously there was parquet.

They didn't do any self-leveling and they did a great job with the installation of my tiles.

image.thumb.jpeg.a2c89111665a6a7fe541d767c420cc6a.jpeg

5 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

My condominium floor was bare concrete, previously there was parquet.

They didn't do any self-leveling and they did a great job with the installation of my tiles.

image.thumb.jpeg.a2c89111665a6a7fe541d767c420cc6a.jpeg

To lay parquet on concrete the concrete needs to be level for a good result . One reason why your tilers made a good job.

On 8/13/2024 at 9:39 AM, itsari said:

Thai method of laying floor tiles are mostly using sand and cement on a concrete surface that is often not completly level .

The method is suspect as often the tiles begin to lift up after a number of years . 

They often do not leave any gap between the tiles and that hastens the lifting up .

I have had difficulty in finding Thai tradesman that have knowledge on how to use that method and it is far more expensive for materials.

I have always had trouble finding any Thai 'Tradesman' who knows anything much about anything useful !

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, trainman34014 said:

I have always had trouble finding any Thai 'Tradesman' who knows anything much about anything useful !

I sadly have to agree when my home area is concerned.

• Like 1

On 8/13/2024 at 9:17 AM, OneMoreFarang said:

You need something like this:

TILE ADHESIVE JORAKAY GREEN 20KG (homepro.co.th)

And, especially for larger tiles, it is highly recommended that you use a tile leveling system.

And, last but not least, make sure the gaps between the tiles are according to what is written on the tile box.

Summary: You can do a lot wrong with laying tiles. And it is a lot of headache, work and money to fix it.

IMG_7489.jpg

Water off a ducks back, tried to get our tiler to use these and proper adhesive, he thought a bit of string, cement and an ordinary trowel was the way to go.

• Agree 1