Air Fryer vs Halogen cooker

KannikaP

7 minutes ago, bigt3116 said:

The 7/11 ones are on Lazada for 4,500 baht

2 minutes ago, cracker1 said:

You can get new Side Handles from Lazada.

Thanks 🙂

• Thumbs Up 1

On 8/14/2024 at 10:01 AM, JBChiangRai said:

I have done a one-man Pizza with a thick slice of bread in the air fryer, it turned out ok.

You could cook a small joint in the air fryer, wrap it in foil and let it rest for 20 minutes whilst you do the fries.

I got my crockpot in BigC about 15 years ago, the side handles have long since degraded.  I got the largest and I batch cook then freeze. It’s so easy to cook, load it and come back 5 hours later.

You can get new Side Handles from Lazada.

35 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

We already have a good microwave oven and slow cooker units at home. So I think she's looking at wanting to cook things like salmon steaks and fresh veggies without frying in oil or heating up the whole house via stovetop steaming.

Get a cast iron skillet, a non-stick wok, and fit an extractor fan over the cooker hob.

On 8/14/2024 at 11:03 AM, NowNow said:

Obviously nothing to do with Xiaomi. It's not even a copy. I'd be wary.

I don't know what's going on with Xiaomi branded items being sold by 3rd parties on Lazada and elsewhere, but I ran into the same "dubious product" issue with them lately...

I saw models of a home indoor PM2.5 monitor branded Xiaomi being advertised/sold on Lazada, AliExpress and elsewhere at very low prices... and I was interested.

So one day when I was in the local mall, I stopped in when I saw the official Xiaomi company store there, and inquired about their PM2.5 monitor units...

And was told by the Xiaomi store staff that they don't make or sell PM2.5 monitors, at least not in the Thailand market.... And a subsequent search I did of Xiaomi's global and various country-based websites surfaced no such product of theirs.

So it seems something squirrely is going on.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, RayWright said:

Bought an Air Fryer over a year ago. Great for single portion of frozen fish & Chips, and other frozen stuff, as well as snags.

However, have found 1 year on the alleged non-stick coating on the removeable cooking plate has worn to the point of rusting. Most likely was just a coating of matt black paint!

So now need to wrap the plate in aluminium foil for a rust-free experience and punch a couple of drainage holes. 

Aggressive wear most likely due to heavy cleaning.

Just saying.

Sounds like yours is one of the fake ones around, a friend had one, my Tefal one has a great non stick surface 1+ years later

Edited by scubascuba3

36 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Get a cast iron skillet, a non-stick wok, and fit an extractor fan over the cooker hob.

Got all those already, but not really fitting what we and she needs.

When she fries fish on the stove, it stinks up the whole house (we have an open kitchen and living room area combined).

When she steams veggies on a big steamer pot on the stove, it heats up and humidifies the whole kitchen and beyond.

I think ideally I'd be looking for something cleaner in all the various respects when it comes to cooking -- not making our living area hot, humid or stinky.

9 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I don't know what's going on with Xiaomi branded items being sold by 3rd parties on Lazada and elsewhere, but I ran into the same "dubious product" issue with them lately...

I saw models of a home indoor PM2.5 monitor branded Xiaomi being advertised/sold on Lazada, AliExpress and elsewhere at very low prices... and I was interested.

So one day when I was in the local mall, I stopped in when I saw the official Xiaomi company store there, and inquired about their PM2.5 monitor units...

And was told by the Xiaomi store staff that they don't make or sell PM2.5 monitors, at least not in the Thailand market.... And a subsequent search I did of Xiaomi's global and various country-based websites surfaced no such product of theirs.

So it seems something squirrely is going on.

The product in question isn't Xiaomi branded. They've simply put the name of the product in the headline to fool people who are searching, into thinking they are getting a bargain. What they actually send won't be related to the Xiaomi product in any way. That's why I posted the two pictures. It's not a copy, it doesn't have the Xiaomi/Mi product name written on it. It's completely unrelated. 

They obviously succeeded, in the case of the OP. Though the OP's gratitude for me saving him from wasting his time with it was somewhat short-lived 😊

• Confused 1

10 hours ago, shdmn said:

I use my air fryer for everything.  No need for a frying pan anymore.   I don't recommend the small ones.  You need lots of space around the food even if just cooking for yourself, so small ones just won't cut it unless you eat like a mouse.  It's important to get one that is easy to clean.  That is the biggest hassle with them and you pretty much need to clean after every use.

So what would you recommend as a minimum optimal size to get in terms of Liters capacity?

1 hour ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Can you offer an elaboration on how the cooked food emerges from the air fryer vs the halogen oven? And whether one or the other is better for cooking certain types of foods?

There is actually little difference in how foods turn out using either appliance, once one has learned the various tricks and limitations of using them.  For instance, a nice pork-chop or steak, crispy on the outside, juicy inside requires a learning curve. Distance from the heat source is critical as is timing.  I use small trivets picked up at 20 baht stores to raise the level of metal cooking dishes, also sourced at said 20 baht stores,  to a higher level.  I usually cook on the highest temperature setting and check in 5 minute increments.  An instant read meat thermometer is really helpful. The top line air fryers often come with built-in thermometers that will shut it off at a pre-set point.

Temperature of the thing being cooked is also a critical factor. If an item is just out of the fridge then the center will cook slower than if room temp.  One of the things I really like about both is one can take an item like a frozen chicken leg or thigh out of the freezer directly into either of the two and be eating it within 30 minutes.  One trick to learn is that if slightly elevated on some king of rack, food tends to cook on both sides so side 2 usually needs less time to cook through.  I hate the smell of fish cooking, especially salmon so I simply put the air-fryer on the balcony for the duration of cooking. Fish is really easy to over-cook so 3 or 4 minute increments at first. Air fryer clean-up is very quick and easy.   If cooking for two people, I'd suggest a larger, 8+ litre unit. You can even do a small 2kg whole chicken in one.  Lots of YT videos showing the best techniques.  The only real advantage of the halogen oven is it's capacity and ability to do a round, 10" pizza.  I also sometimes like to do braised meats in a small Dutch oven which fits inside the halogen oven for very slow cooking. The major inconvenience of the halogen oven besides it's overall size is dealing with the lid which incorporates the heating unit...always a challenge where to put it when opening to check the food.  BTW, while most halogen ovens on the local market have big glass bowls, there are a few available with stainless steel bowls. My first halogen had the steel bowl and though one couldn't see the food being cooked, it was much lighter and easier to handle and less prone to breakage.  It was also nice to be able to transfer it to a stove top after cooking a roast and make gravy directly from the drippings.  I liked that one more than my current glass bowled unit.  Also, as one other poster mentioned, one isn't bothered by the light going on and off.

Both are a learning curve and YouTube can be a big help.  I think whichever you choose, you will find it a very useful device.

Edited by dddave
  • Thanks 2

People need to realize an AF (air fryer) is nothing more than a compact CO (convection oven), usually, possibly, with a more powerful fan.

Convenient for what they are, most being 6L or under (glass ones average around 12L), if wanting a small foot print on you counter, conserve energy, not heat up the whole kitchen/room, and usually quite inexpensive, and easily found for 1000 baht or less.

Personally, I need our 56L CO, also labeled as AF, but does have 3 powerful fans.  Takes up more space, uses more energy, and heats up the kitchen.   But there isn't much that can't be cooked in it, an quite a bit at one time.   Mandatory for baking my bread & cheesecake, as simply wouldn't fit in AF, or get good results.

Smaller than 56L won't work for our needs, and our 70L that crapped out, was overkill and didn't need, hence the small one when replaced.  They do make 40-30-25L CO, though anything smaller probably fall under toaster over, unless having strong fans, such as one, 15L, pictured earlier by myself

I use ours/AF as previously stated, but it really is a redundant appliance for us.  Could easily do without it.   But, couldn't do with our 56L CO.

Happy Cooking 

Thanks for your post, since I was hoping someone would actually come along and address the gist of the OP's question... being the differences between and how to choose between buying/using an air fryer vs. a halogen oven.

Can you offer an elaboration on how the cooked food emerges from the air fryer vs the halogen oven? And whether one or the other is better for cooking certain types of foods?

My wife wants to get one (something) for our home to assist with her latest home cooking efforts. But I think it's going to be up to me to decide just what that something ought to be...

We already have a good microwave oven and slow cooker units at home. So I think she's looking at wanting to cook things like salmon steaks and fresh veggies without frying in oil or heating up the whole house via stovetop steaming.

PS - I had no idea the manufacture of halogen bulbs is being phased out,  so that for me also becomes a consideration as well!

There's a misunderstanding here. The misunderstanding being the description of these convection ovens as a whole as either 'air fryers' or halogen ovens.  In fact they are all Air Fryers. In fact, many of the products sold as 'air fryers' are unable to reach the higher temperatures of their bigger brothers, convection ovens.

In reality, they are much the same thing; fan ovens of differing designs. Some use heated rings and some use halogen lamps. Air Fryers in general use heated rings. Their big brothers utilise either heated rings or halogen lamps. If I recommend a model, it will utilise heated rings and a fan, just like the smaller 'air fryers'.

I use air fryer/convection ovens, slow cookers and a conventional hob.

Salmon steaks and such can be done in air fryers/convection ovens. There will always be some kind of odour. I have two kitchens. One inside and one outside, so possibly not the best person to advise on your particular situation.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, dddave said:

There is actually little difference in how foods turn out using either appliance, once one has learned the various tricks and limitations of using them.  For instance, a nice pork-chop or steak, crispy on the outside, juicy inside requires a learning curve. Distance from the heat source is critical as is timing.  I use small trivets picked up at 20 baht stores to raise the level of metal cooking dishes, also sourced at said 20 baht stores,  to a higher level.  I usually cook on the highest temperature setting and check in 5 minute increments.  An instant read meat thermometer is really helpful. The top line air fryers often come with built-in thermometers that will shut it off at a pre-set point.

Temperature of the thing being cooked is also a critical factor. If an item is just out of the fridge then the center will cook slower than if room temp.  One of the things I really like about both is one can take an item like a frozen chicken leg or thigh out of the freezer directly into either of the two and be eating it within 30 minutes.  One trick to learn is that if slightly elevated on some king of rack, food tends to cook on both sides so side 2 usually needs less time to cook through.  I hate the smell of fish cooking, especially salmon so I simply put the air-fryer on the balcony for the duration of cooking. Fish is really easy to over-cook so 3 or 4 minute increments at first. Air fryer clean-up is very quick and easy.   If cooking for two people, I'd suggest a larger, 8+ litre unit. You can even do a small 2kg whole chicken in one.  Lots of YT videos showing the best techniques.  The only real advantage of the halogen oven is it's capacity and ability to do a round, 10" pizza.  I also sometimes like to do braised meats in a small Dutch oven which fits inside the halogen oven for very slow cooking. The major inconvenience of the halogen oven besides it's overall size is dealing with the lid which incorporates the heating unit...always a challenge where to put it when opening to check the food.  BTW, while most halogen ovens on the local market have big glass bowls, there are a few available with stainless steel bowls. My first halogen had the steel bowl and though one couldn't see the food being cooked, it was much lighter and easier to handle and less prone to breakage.  It was also nice to be able to transfer it to a stove top after cooking a roast and make gravy directly from the drippings.  I liked that one more than my current glass bowled unit.  Also, as one other poster mentioned, one isn't bothered by the light going on and off.

Both are a learning curve and YouTube can be a big help.  I think whichever you choose, you will find it a very useful device.

I put the lid on the high rack, supplied with the convection oven. The halogen bulb going on and off is an annoyance. I solve that by not using a halogen oven but one using a heated metal ring. Indeed the inexpensive OTTO oven that I recommended comes with the option of a metal bowl; CO-709. CO-708 for the glass bowl. Both should be available at Makro.

So what would you recommend as a minimum optimal size to get in terms of Liters capacity?

My Tefal 4.5L is good for a couple big potatoes or big portion chips or loads ribs, or loads chicken drumsticks, the problem is cooking things simultaneously hence why two or a bigger oven may be better

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

Sounds like yours is one of the fake ones around, a friend had one, my Tefal one has a great non stick surface 1+ years later

Thanks for update. Yep, will be buying a Tefal, should have done that first.

Afterall, the 'Tef' in their name is an abbreviation of Teflon. The 'al' for aluminium, so it shouldn't rust.

2 minutes ago, RayWright said:

Thanks for update. Yep, will be buying a Tefal, should have done that first.

Afterall, the 'Tef' in their name is an abbreviation of Teflon. The 'al' for aluminium, so it shouldn't rust.

Make sure you check the seller, ratings, products etc

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

the problem is cooking things simultaneously hence why two or a bigger oven may be better

Thanks for the advice!

What exactly do you mean above re cooking things simultaneously? 

Do you mean the ability to handle larger, multi item portions that wouldn't fit in the unit?

Or, that you can't cook things like fish fillets and vegetables in the same cooking cycle together, even if the air fryer size can handle them?

5 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

My Tefal 4.5L is good for a couple big potatoes or big portion chips or loads ribs, or loads chicken drumsticks, the problem is cooking things simultaneously hence why two or a bigger oven may be better

Or two bigger ovens/air fryers that cost the same as your one, much smaller, air fryer.

One Tefal 4.5 litre air fryer costs 1600 baht. OTTO 12 litre Air Fryer/Convection oven <800 baht. Two for the price of one. Discuss.

5 minutes ago, NowNow said:

Or two bigger ovens/air fryers that cost the same as your one, much smaller, air fryer.

One Tefal 4.5 litre air fryer costs 1600 baht. OTTO 12 litre Air Fryer/Convection oven <800 baht. Two for the price of one. Discuss.

Is this the one you're referring to... a unit with a glass body? I can't tell if it's a halogen model or not...

https://www.makro.pro/en/p/2xrtgq6-7352839438531?

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

Just now, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Thanks for the advice!

Do you mean the ability to handle larger, multi item portions that wouldn't fit in the unit?

Or, that you can't cook things like fish fillets and vegetables in the same cooking cycle together, even if the air fryer size can handle them?

You hope to prepare the different items in the same basket? What if they need differing temperatures?

I roast chicken at a lower temperature than I do potatoes.

If you put the chicken on top of the chips, think of the lovely salmonella running all over your chips. If you put the chicken under the chips will the chicken cook properly?

5 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Thanks for the advice!

I'm talking more about the size, putting meat and chips in the same time isn't easy if the air fryer is too small. I only use it for basic stuff, like chicken drumsticks for 12 mins,  then add chips for 12 mins, then take out drumsticks and cook chips for another 10 mins, works fine, for example 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, NowNow said:

You hope to prepare the different items in the same basket? What if they need differing temperatures?

I roast chicken at a lower temperature than I do potatoes.

If you put the chicken on top of the chips, think of the lovely salmonella running all over your chips. If you put the chicken under the chips will the chicken cook properly?

Entirely new and no experience with air fryers... Never had or used one...

All I know is, my wife wants to cook salmon steaks and fresh veggies like broccoli.... I have no idea what kind of temp you'd use in an air fryer for something like fresh broccoli florets.

But healthwise, afaik, there's no reason you couldn't or shouldn't cook those two items at the same time in the same device...

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

4 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Entirely new and no experience with air fryers... Never had or used one...

All I know is, my wife wants to cook salmon steaks and fresh veggies like broccoli.... I have no idea what kind of temp you'd use in an air fryer for something like fresh broccoli florets.

But healthwise, afaik, there's no reason you couldn't or shouldn't cook those two items at the same time in the same device...

It's a small and efficient oven. Don't get hung up nor confused by a made up name.

2 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

One of the reasons air fryers are so popular is because people didn't use their massive ovens, so a smaller oven is more usable plus a lot cheaper

And  in my experience, 90+% of condos in Bangkok where Thais live seem to come with no oven whatsoever when built, except for small microwaves.....

2 hours ago, dddave said:

Agree with most of that - I've had a halogen oven since before air fryers became fashionable and haven't used my "big old traditional" oven for a long time. My HO came with a couple of cookbooks and use of Google and YT helped to teach me cooking techniques 

One thing that amused me was your question of where to put the hot lid - you actually answered your own question - get another trivet . 😂

I bought https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00537Q59A/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 when i got the HO

As for microwave ovens - I use mine to defrost or reheat food rather than cook it. That is EXCEPT for rice and vegetables - I have a microwave steamer which I use very successfully for those items.

Edited by VBF

21 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

And  in my experience, 90+% of condos in Bangkok where Thais live seem to come with no oven whatsoever when built, except for small microwaves.....

Need to get out more, as my daughter's condo, had good size kitchen/prep area.  Hobs, microwave, and counter space for more appliances (oven/air fryer).

All building/condo dependent.  30m² or less, yea, you're limited.  A bit larger and not impossible though, if designed correctly.

You always get what you pay for.  If busy, working couple, then dining out, take away & microwave may be all you need or want.

39 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

I'm talking more about the size, putting meat and chips in the same time isn't easy if the air fryer is too small. I only use it for basic stuff, like chicken drumsticks for 12 mins,  then add chips for 12 mins, then take out drumsticks and cook chips for another 10 mins, works fine, for example 

So 22 minutes for chips?

39 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Steaming those two would be much better. 

• Agree 1