What's One Thing You Wish You Knew Before Moving to Thailand?

59 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

And now we have social media. forums and the like.

Hows the proliferation of moaning, complaining, nasty, miserable foreigners on those.

Amusing though many do not live here and come for a touristy holiday for a week or two every now and then and yet think they areThailand oracles !

Exactly.

I wish I knew bob smith would convince me the country sucks. 

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, MalcolmB said:

That you really feel the extra 1.5 degrees caused by climate change. 

I like the warmth but sometimes it is a bit too much.

Back in Blighty I enjoyed the extra 1.5.

Last two years in Phuket was a very shortened or no cool season at all.  

I wish I understood how Thais behave and do business.  How to address and solve issues.

Knowing stay calm, respectful and willing to work through the problem the best you can.  Thais sometimes do not provide enough info or details for you to complete a task all at once.  There is a general process for administration which has flexibility for business, more paperwork than back home, and more steps to complete.

Thai style, learn it, live it, and you will thrive.

On 8/14/2024 at 6:05 AM, brianthainess said:

I would have liked to have known what a lying, cheating, thieving, gamboling bunch, the women were, it was a long time ago about 20yrs, before that kind of information was on the internet, or general knowledge, had to find out for ourselves then, the hard way, but I learnt very quickly never to trust any of them, the sad thing the good ones also suffer with my mistrust, and still do 20 yrs later.

If had no or little experience with women before arriving Thailand, I understand some would be taken for a ride and think they where gods gifts to women, and easily fall for their magic. 

There is some few universal rules that also includes thai women. 

6 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

It was not an issue when I moved here twenty odd years ago but now it's all the moaning, complaining, nasty, miserable foreigners arriving. 

It's even getting worse now the poor Russians are coming. 

Thailand is DOOMED. 

I was in Tops Tukcom earlier, I was stood at the bakery section, I smelt this strong urine stench, looked behind me, it was and elderly foreigner. 

Over the last couple of decades I can honestly say that I've never come across a Thai emitting this fragrance. 🤣

Edited by SAFETY FIRST

Just now, Hummin said:

If had no or little experience with women before arriving Thailand, I understand some would be taken for a ride and think they where gods gifts to women, and easily fall for their magic. 

There is some few universal rules that also includes thai women. 

I had plenty of experience with women before coming here but I never met any before that were so....deceitful/devious if at all, as the Thai women, they plan things years in advance .

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, brianthainess said:

I had plenty of experience with women before coming here but I never met any before that were so....deceitful/devious if at all, as the Thai women, they plan things years in advance .

Professionals often mistaken as gullible innocent women.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

I was in Tops Tukcom earlier, I was stood at the bakery section, I smelt this strong urine stench, looked behind me, it was and elderly foreigner. 

Over the last couple of decades I can honestly say that I've never come across a Thai emitting this fragrance. 🤣

Over the last couple of decades I can honestly say that I've never come across a Thai emitting this fragrance. 🤣 Because THEY Pee in the Trees / Bushes OUTSIDE Before they enter the building....

19 minutes ago, Blueman1 said:

Over the last couple of decades I can honestly say that I've never come across a Thai emitting this fragrance. 🤣 Because THEY Pee in the Trees / Bushes OUTSIDE Before they enter the building....

No problem peeing in the trees, better than peeing in your pants. 

Which do you prefer? 

• Sad 2

On 8/14/2024 at 11:31 AM, Will B Good said:

I wish I had known that Isaan isn't the most exciting place in the world to live.......

What was your first clue?
Can you eat Isaan food? 

On 8/14/2024 at 1:19 PM, cracker1 said:

I wish I had known how much corruption there was in the country.

it reminds me of the several Thai street parades with all the entrants representing various corrupt Departments or Companies passing by waving and smiling to you.

On 8/14/2024 at 2:41 PM, Bert got kinky said:

In the BP.

You were seriously here 20 years ago and don't know about the legendary Trink?

He is sadly missed. The Bangkok Post has changed beyond recognition over the years. Used to be vibrant and challenging. Now safe-playing and dull. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Thingamabob said:

He is sadly missed. The Bangkok Post has changed beyond recognition over the years. Used to be vibrant and challenging. Now safe-playing and dull. 

Yes, unfortunately Bernard no longer gives a hoot.

I used to look forward to his column every week.

His archived stuff can be read at https://www.oocities.org/doxyblue/alltrink.html

3 hours ago, Shmo said:

What was your first clue?
Can you eat Isaan food? 

Day one was my first clue.

Isaan food?....no way Giuseppe......can manage cowpat, panang gai, gai pad met muang, sweet and sour....etc 

otherwise it's salad and chips for me.

• Agree 1

On 8/14/2024 at 12:41 PM, Gottfrid said:

That such a beautiful country can have so many moaning, unhappy and unsatisfied foreigners, and that they still continue stay, moan and apparently enjoying self-inflicted mental pain.

you left out "stubborn"  and  "entitled" .

But i do blame myself for telling one or two people how nice it was here ,   because 

after that the foreigners just seemed to pour in .

• Haha 1

I wish I had known how much better Thailand is than any other country in the world, in the areas that count, 20 years ago, so I could have moved here then.

The 20 years outside Thailand were good, but I feel in Thailand they would have been better.

3 hours ago, rumak said:

you left out "stubborn"  and  "entitled" .

But i do blame myself for telling one or two people how nice it was here ,   because 

after that the foreigners just seemed to pour in .

Darn man! Was it you that started the trend. 😉 

19 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

Darn man! Was it you that started the trend. 😉 

Legend has it ................ might have been me !  🙄

• Thumbs Up 1

17 hours ago, maesariang said:

Did a woman break yours?

Just the last 20 or so , after Covid Scams abound , everyone trying to get that Buffalo back on its feet , and the Banks are Hungry for Loan Payments 

On 8/14/2024 at 2:07 PM, BritManToo said:

OK, so your wife is different, but my wife isn't different.

Ha Ha .    Gotta admit,  sometimes honesty can be refreshing ( and funny ) 

the following is not specific to BM2  situation :

I won't say how many "live-ins"   i've had ,  but more than a few .   More and more I started to "just say no"  when i did not like the situation .  Meanwhile,  others i know still stay with their (once) loved ones,  obviously not happy.

moral of story:   not happy,  get out .   try again ( or not ) .   sometimes we get lucky and

find someone who , when you wake up,  does not make you unhappy with the world.

(i am aware of all the  "Buts.........." )   But, up to you  !