New Computer

roger101

11 hours ago, KannikaP said:

You can do all those processes without 365. The main advantages are 1TB of One Drive cloud storage and 60 minutes of Skype calls, for up to 6 people.

I used Excel, Word and Outlook in my working days and so I'm happy to pay a cheap annual subscription to continue.

Also, as you say, it comes with 1TB of cloud storage which works seamlessly as a back-up.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 8/15/2024 at 8:16 PM, richard_smith237 said:

Same here...

I've had a 'strange' soft to the touch 'buzz' feel on many occasions when I'm using my MacBook in Thailand (before with and older one and a new one)... I put it down to poor earthing - I don't get the same issue using the same laptop in the UK.

It's called Thai electricity, no earthing required.  haha

On 8/14/2024 at 6:27 PM, KannikaP said:

User name does not show in my System Information.

Quite easy to understand that he means the device name, that are used for network connections.

1 hour ago, Gottfrid said:

Quite easy to understand that he means the device name, that are used for network connections.

May be easy for you to understand what NowNow meant when he said delete User Name. But for the person he was talking to, they would possibly have spent time looking for User Name, which does not show in System Information.

7 hours ago, KannikaP said:

May be easy for you to understand what NowNow meant when he said delete User Name. But for the person he was talking to, they would possibly have spent time looking for User Name, which does not show in System Information.

The device name, is the computers user name when you use it to connect remotely or in networks.

• Thumbs Up 1

I wonder what happened to the OP (roger101). Looks like the thread was totally hijacked from the second response. Eeee, it's hard to keep track sometimes :wacko:. I blame ADHD and its variants!

34 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

The device name, is the computers user name when you use it to connect remotely or in networks.

But not everyone knows that. 

26 minutes ago, AddyA said:

I wonder what happened to the OP (roger101). Looks like the thread was totally hijacked from the second response. Eeee, it's hard to keep track sometimes :wacko:. I blame ADHD and its variants!

The idea was to find out what he is running now, in order to understand if he actually needed a new PC and if he did, what would constitute a meaningful upgrade. But he just disappeared.

3 hours ago, KannikaP said:

But not everyone knows that. 

Nice to hear you admit it was right. Must mean that the poster you quoted wasn´t wrong then.

• Confused 1

12 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

Nice to hear you admit it was right. Must mean that the poster you quoted wasn´t wrong then.

No. What NowNow said.....

Type System Information into the Windows search box and then click on the System Information option.

Copy and Paste the info shown and post it here. (Remove System Name and Username lines before posting)

is wrong. The USERNAME does not appear in System Information. Which would make it so difficult for the OP to understand.

The DEVICE name does show.

• Thanks 1

On 8/15/2024 at 9:00 PM, still kicking said:

Hijacking this thread Just bought a new laptop since I am not a computer geek how do I transfer my pictures to the new laptop since the new one has no disk drive? 

You could use a flash drive, a portable SSD drive or hard drive, you could upload them to Google Photos if you have a Google account, you can use a  file tansfer service such as WeTransfer, set up a file transfer over your wireless network (enable file sharing on both computers, connect them both to the network, select the files you want to share), or you can use a transfer service like PCMover to transfer everything. This costs money though

3 minutes ago, jaywalker2 said:

You could use a flash drive, a portable SSD drive or hard drive, you could upload them to Google Photos if you have a Google account, you can use a  file tansfer service such as WeTransfer, set up a file transfer over your wireless network (enable file sharing on both computers, connect them both to the network, select the files you want to share), or you can use a transfer service like PCMover to transfer everything. This costs money though

Microsoft ONE DRIVE.

I turned OneDrive off on my computer. It kept trying to synch everything to the cloud and badgering ne with ads to buy more storage. I don't trust Microsoft a bit. Plus, with OneDrive you only get 2GB of free storage. With Google Drive you get 15 -- and you can open multiple accounts.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, jaywalker2 said:

I turned OneDrive off on my computer. It kept trying to synch everything to the cloud and badgering ne with ads to buy more storage. I don't trust Microsoft a bit. Plus, with OneDrive you only get 2GB of free storage. With Google Drive you get 15 -- and you can open multiple accounts.

Google Drive is great for the portability it gives to Word/Docs and Excel/Sheets alone. I use Mega (free) for my photos. When I signed up I got 50GB for free which continues to apply. I understand it's only 20GB now. However, well worth having for nothing. I see they have just launched their own VPN for 0.99 Euros per month or included if you have a paid for Mega subscription.

55 minutes ago, jaywalker2 said:

The whole idea of One Drive is that it syncs everything WHICH YOU TELL IT to the Cloud.

What OS do you use?

1 hour ago, KannikaP said:

The whole idea of One Drive is that it syncs everything WHICH YOU TELL IT to the Cloud.

What OS do you use?

No, it will synch everything unless you tell it not to . On my girlfriend's computer, it backed up all her photos and documents without asking and when it exceeded the storage limit began nagging her to buy more storage or risk having her files deleted. If the files are deleted in the cloud, they'll be deleted on your computer too.

Google "complaints about OneDrive" to see the various problems people are having. (Don't use Bing because none of those complaints will show up)

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, jaywalker2 said:

No, it will synch everything unless you tell it not to . On my girlfriend's computer, it backed up all her photos and documents without asking and when it exceeded the storage limit began nagging her to buy more storage or risk having her files deleted. If the files are deleted in the cloud, they'll be deleted on your computer too.

Google "complaints about OneDrive" to see the various problems people are having. (Don't use Bing because none of those complaints will show up)

OK, I worded it wrongly. One Drive will sync everything unless you tell it not to, same same. Just takes a bit of thought.

You can say which files are stored locally, in the Cloud or both. I personally have no problems at all with One Drive as with many many other users, on three PCs and my Android all syncing and allowing files to be accessed on any of them, from anywhere.

I do subscribe to Microsoft 365 so that 5 other members of my 'family' can also get the same 1 TB service, only $99 per year.

Edited by KannikaP

On 8/14/2024 at 10:37 PM, dddave said:

If you have a decent, late model LED flat screen TV, you might consider a "Mini-PC" that plugs into your TV via an HDMI cable.  A wireless keyboard and mouse completes the set-up.  Nice to be able to watch YouTube and read mail on the much larger display.  A huge amount of content available.

similar to this, for example.  I'd suggest minimum 8gb Ram, 256 SSD.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/genmachine-new-mini-pc-amd-ryzen-r5-4600h-windows11-6-cores-12-threads-wifi5-bt52-ddr4-max-64gb-ram-4tb-ssd-support-three-screen-output-mini-office-gaming-computer-i5086903143-s21461313991.html?

Does it come with any warranties, because it ships from overseas, I presume China?

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/17/2024 at 4:46 PM, NowNow said:

The idea was to find out what he is running now, in order to understand if he actually needed a new PC and if he did, what would constitute a meaningful upgrade. But he just disappeared.

Not disappeared just got distracted by more important things. I will be seeing my brother in law next month (after many years) who understands computers (builds his own) and will get him to explain (simply) what I need and what I should do.

I would like to thank everybody who replied to my post, it's what Asean Now is for.