Pickup Truck Tyre Blowout Causes Multiple Rolls: 1 Dead, 1 Injured

Georgealbert

7 hours ago, steven100 said:

normally a back type blowing out would not cause a vehicle to spin uncontrollably.

I speculate the vehicle was travelling at high speed and the driver lost control due to erratical steering lose.

Having no seat belt on which caused him to bounce all over the place immediately, thereby losing his grip on the steering wheel.

If he wore a the seatbelt this accident could have been prevented. 

It's not wearing the seat belt that contributed to the roll-over.     imo  

Agreed....  only one anecdotal personal experience - I had a blowout (rear left) in a 4x4 (loaded)... at about 100 kmh....    easy to control and just slowed to a gentle stop...    certainly no massive loss of control... 

Thus: I suspect 'blow-out' is being used in the same manner as 'brake-failure'... 

• Thumbs Up 2

10 hours ago, transam said:

I will in the morning, must find the handbook first, just for you, anything to help....:clap2:

Usually a little label telling what the tyre pressures recommended by vehicle maker are inside the drivers door.  That said, when I bought new tyres they definitely looked too soft at that number, and I upped it a few psi. The rear varies depending on load. 

10 hours ago, Jorgendk said:

Good job they did not have 5 kids in the back as well.

Jorgen,   are you a racehorse fan ...  I'm thinking about starting a new topic ... 

'  horses for courses '      

2 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Usually a little label telling what the tyre pressures recommended by vehicle maker are inside the drivers door.  That said, when I bought new tyres they definitely looked too soft at that number, and I upped it a few psi. The rear varies depending on load. 

Actually, the UK Law says that you must have your tyres at the manufacturer's recommended pressure. So if you go to pick up your in-laws to drive them to the railway station, must you increase the pressure when they get in, and deflate when they get out, as the handbook says 30 in the rear when empty and 35 when loaded.

Edited by KannikaP
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Actually, the UK Law says that you must have your tyres at the manufacturer's recommended pressure. So if you go to pick up your in-laws to drive them to the railway station, must you increase the pressure when they get in, and deflate when they get out, as the handbook says 30 in the rear when empty and 35 when loaded.

hahahaha, whack in an extra 5 psi when you got granny in the back seat !

2 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

hahahaha, whack in an extra 5 psi when you got granny in the back seat !

That's what the Law says. If you then had a tyre-related accident after dropping Granny and all her luggage in the boot, and I was proved your tyres were over-inflated.......

Edited by KannikaP

Tyres shown look okay....but we have quite a few people making deliveries in cars/trucks like this......generally the tyres are all, glancing at them, illegal.....or would be in the UK.

17 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

Do you have a link to this "law" ?

From the UK Highway Code.

Laws RTA 1988 sect 42 & CUR reg 32
Tyres. Tyres MUST be correctly inflated to the vehicle manufacturer’s specification for the load being carried. Always refer to the vehicle’s handbook or data. Tyres should also be free from certain cuts and other defects.

• Agree 1

Just now, KannikaP said:

From the UK Highway Code.

Laws RTA 1988 sect 42 & CUR reg 32
Tyres. Tyres MUST be correctly inflated to the vehicle manufacturer’s specification for the load being carried. Always refer to the vehicle’s handbook or data. Tyres should also be free from certain cuts and other defects.

The tire placard calls out the weight of the load ?

but according to that law,  If I was in the UK.

Drive to the grocery store at normal psi acording to tire placard.

Purchase a few weeks worth of groceries (that would be a load).

Add more psi to my tires according to the loaded rating on the tire placard.... luckily I carry an air pump.

Drive home unload groceries.

Deflate tires back to unloaded psi according to the tire placard.

Weird lot them british people !

3 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

The tire placard calls out the weight of the load ?

but according to that law,  If I was in the UK.

Drive to the grocery store at normal psi acording to tire placard.

Purchase a few weeks worth of groceries (that would be a load).

Add more psi to my tires according to the loaded rating on the tire placard.... luckily I carry an air pump.

Drive home unload groceries.

Deflate tires back to unloaded psi according to the tire placard.

Weird lot them british people !

Isn't that what I said earlier about taking Granny to the station? It is however rather stupid of the manufacturers to simply state loaded or un-loaded.

What's the tYre law where you come from?

Edited by KannikaP

5 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Isn't that what I said earlier about taking Granny to the station? It is however rather stupid of the manufacturers to simply state loaded or un-loaded.

What's the tYre law where you come from?

No daft law like that in my home country.

1 minute ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Do you drive like a **** or are you happy just looking like one? 🤣

I drive like a ****, love it.

Have pencil beam spotties to flash at slow cars on the motorway to get the <deleted> outta my way.... if they do not yeild I lay on to horn.... that be a train airhorn mounted under my left fender fed by a tray mounted air tank.

and before you ask. the badge on the front is Toyota and the vehicle is sporting a 4" susnpension lift.

• Sad 1

21 hours ago, KannikaP said:

Actually, the UK Law says that you must have your tyres

I am not in the UK so that is irrelevant. 

Not sure my gauge or those in the stations are all that accurate. 

Edited by jacko45k

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

I am not in the UK so that is irrelevant. 

Not sure my gauge or those in the stations are all that accurate. 

OK, but that requirement would make sense everywhere.

The air pumps at most petrol stations are so inaccurate. Get yourself a good one off Lazada to check.

Or, as I do, go to the place where you bought the tyres, in my case Maxxiss and they (should) have 'professional' equipment

Edited by KannikaP

On 8/16/2024 at 9:39 AM, Korat Kiwi said:

Now the tyres wouldn't have been over-inflated by any chance? 

More common than not in Thailand 

"Over-inflated"? I see exponentially more under-inflated tires in Thailand.

22 hours ago, KannikaP said:

OK, but that requirement would make sense everywhere.

The air pumps at most petrol stations are so inaccurate. Get yourself a good one off Lazada to check.

Or, as I do, go to the place where you bought the tyres, in my case Maxxiss and they (should) have 'professional' equipment

Well yes I think they are the ones I got the tyres from, but my experience in Thailand is they way over inflate them. My starting point was the label on the truck itself and I surely can't do better than that... my gauge, one that I had bought from either Homepro or Big C. I check them once a week and use a stand pump to top them off.  My Motorcycle tyres seem to lose a psi or so a week. The front tyres on the truck looked rather soft at the recommended 33 psi, and under the weight of a 3,0L diesel..so they got a bit more. Still plenty tread on the ground. 

Why i would never buy a pick up truck. They are very unstable. High centre of gravity and poor weight distribution. Whenever they get out of a straight line at speed they just flip over.

Edited by Henryford
  • Confused 1

On 8/16/2024 at 5:32 AM, Georgealbert said:

A husband and wife were ejected from the vehicle, with the wife injured and the husband losing his life.

Seat belts? 

No need to ask I suppose.

Most newer vehicles have airbags which only make you safer if you are wearing a seat belt.  Unrestrained people will often be pushed out a window by the expanding airbags!

12 minutes ago, Henryford said:

Why i would never buy a pick up truck. They are very unstable. High centre of gravity and poor weight distribution. Whenever they get out of a straight line at speed they just flip over.

Pick-ups were not designed to go round a bend at speed!

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Henryford said:

Surely more about how they are being driven,  had mine for 18 years and never flipped it yet.  Yes I am aware that there is usually very little weight over the drive wheels and accelerating hard on a wet road bend should be done with a lighter foot. I feel safe in the cab as it is pretty solid. 

Modern ICE cars also have their limits, very light, tiny wheels and can also be easily flipped. 

On 8/16/2024 at 4:33 PM, Ralf001 said:

hahahahaha <deleted> me you lot sure go to lengths to dream random bullsh!t.

hows it up there on you high horse  ?

What a bizarre comment. I bought a high end AMG with different tyre profiles once, not at all obvious. The differential was only driving one rear wheel. That’s how diffs work, maybe you should read up on it.

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, Katatonica said:

What a bizarre comment. I bought a high end AMG with different tyre profiles once, not at all obvious. The differential was only driving one rear wheel. That’s how diffs work, maybe you should read up on it.

hahahaha, doubling down.

Comparing an AMG with staggered wheels to a work horse pickup !