50,000 baht request from Thai long time friend.

1 minute ago, Yellowtail said:

Not sure what your "friend's" financial situation is, but if I had a longtime friend that was left penniless when her a-hole husband died, and she wanted to borrow B50K, I would just gift her the money. 

That said, if I were living hand to mouth, I would just give her what I could. 

Never loan friends money. 

He had/has more money than my 'Friend' and has family overseas, my friend is also self funded for health, he might need his money sooner. How long does an insurance take to pay out on death ? In my opinion she shouldn't have spent so much on the ceremony, plus the fact his car is registered in her Daughters name, but she doesn't want to sell it.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, tomazbodner said:

However if guy was relatively popular, she would get that back from donations of people who come for funeral.

Well they didn't donate hence her request. He was popular with his customers as an agent but that is it.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, The Fugitive said:

My Thai Mrs 'loaned' 150,000 baht to a Thai female friend who wasn't able to pay for her falang husbands funeral. He had drunk his savings and was living (or rather drinking) from day to day on his pension. His stomach and liver were destroyed. I don't know if the lady repaid her or not but the reason was genuine so I have sympathy.

Much the same as this bloke, although he gave that up once he had heart problems, plus he was very overweight, as for a pension I do not know but his income was as a visa agent.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, simon43 said:

I would give what you can, but as a gift, not a loan. When my Thai niece died a few years ago, her p*ss-poor family had no funds for the funeral.  I gave what I could (about 30,000 baht) and they were able to have a simple Buddhist funeral. 

I would normally never give my little hard-earned cash, but sometimes you need to have sympathy...

I do have sympathy but, he and her brought it upon themselves, if it was my own/wife's family member then maybe I would . Had he married her legally at an Amphur then she would be entitled to his money.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, brianthainess said:

I do have sympathy but, he and her brought it upon themselves, if it was my own/wife's family member then maybe I would . Had he married her legally at an Amphur then she would be entitled to his money.

Again, she's either a friend or she is not. If she was smart, she likely would not have married an a-hole. 

• Agree 1

Thai long time friend.

Funny how Bar English becomes normal in Thailand.

i would have used the term “old friend” or perhaps even “long term friend”. 

Where did they meet?

• Sad 3
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, Yellowtail said:

If I died tomorrow, I know that every Thai friend that I have would be at my funeral and help my surviving family any way they could. 

Funerals are not for the dead, they are for the living. 

My wife pays into a village fund for not only her cremation but mine also, also has 2 cars in my name which she would be able to sell, and substantial money in my bank, once Probate has gone through, any money I give away now, would be less for her, on my demise and less for my hospital bills. She deservers my money more than some Agents wife IMO.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, MalcolmB said:

Thai long time friend.

Funny how Bar English becomes normal in Thailand.

i would have used the term “old friend” or perhaps even “long term friend”. 

Where did they meet?

I would say longtime friend about someone that is someone I am still in contact with. 

I would say old friend about someone in my past. 

Maybe it's a US/UK thing. 

What difference does it make? Did you want to talk smack about a death man's wife? 

• Agree 2

51 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

I have told my 'Friend' absolutely no way buddy, friend or not do not lend her any money.

Do you agree with me ?

Yes, with friends like that who needs enemies as they say. When this persons friend of 18 years asks for money out of the blue, they have just lost that friendship. Your buddy needs to find a new friend who is more respectful.

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

My wife pays into a village fund for not only her cremation but mine also, also has 2 cars in my name which she would be able to sell, and substantial money in my bank, once Probate has gone through, any money I give away now, would be less for her, on my demise and less for my hospital bills. She deservers my money more than some Agents wife IMO.

If you already knew, why ask? I would not leave my wife wanting to help a friend. 

• Confused 1

I have lent money to friends in the past and borrowed money from friends also.

If you want to be sure that a Thai will pay you back get them to put your name on the back of a Land Title, registered at the land Office. It is known as a Guy Fark.

If they don’t pay you are entitled to sell the land without going to court.

If you use the weaker Jumnong way you will have to go to court to sell the land.

Guy Fark is more secure.

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, connda said:

Assume the 50K to be a gift and not a loan.  Do you homework and determine the veracity of the situation.  If you're a generous type, give what you can and don't expect anything in return.  Otherwise - respectfully decline. 

Not only that but once all this is done and dusted, she is moving far away back to her home town (where the cremation was) . It's a Red Buzzer from me.

200w(1).gif.73beba78d5da0567a3a6d6f05f79c4d7.gif

Just now, brianthainess said:

Not only that but once all this is done and dusted, she is moving far away back to her home town (where the cremation was) . It's a Red Buzzer from me.

200w(1).gif.73beba78d5da0567a3a6d6f05f79c4d7.gif

Yeah, ef her, I would not give her a satang 

5 minutes ago, MalcolmB said:

I have lent money to friends in the past and borrowed money from friends also.

If you want to be sure that a Thai will pay you back get them to put your name on the back of a Land Title, registered at the land Office. It is known as a Guy Fark.

If they don’t pay you are entitled to sell the land without going to court.

If you use the weaker Jumnong way you will have to go to court to sell the land.

Guy Fark is more secure.

Oh yeh I forgot to mention she has 2 land titles and 2 houses, the last on has just been finished, paid for by this Agent. So he was getting a good income.