US Ambassador Town Information in September 2024?

This was posted on the embassy FB page and to me it sounds confusing:

"Join us for a virtual town hall with Ambassador Godec on September 9 to learn more about the U.S. Embassy's and Consulate General's priorities in Thailand

Please note that we have reached capacity for in-person attendance, but registration to attend online is open until September 2, 2024: https://forms.office.com/g/a6Gr9amuhg.

#USConsularThailandTips American citizens in Thailand are invited to a meeting with His Excellency the United States Ambassador on September 9, 2017 to learn about the important duties of the United States Embassy in Thailand.

Please note that the seats for participation at the Ambassador's House จํานวน are fully booked but you can still register to attend online at https://forms.office.com/g/a6Gr9amuhg from today to 2 September 2567

Join us for a virtual town hall with Ambassador Godec on September 9 to learn more about the U.S. Embassy's and Consulate General's priorities"

Is it virtual or in person? If it is in person when did registration begin? This is the first I have heard of this town hall.  Also, the year is 2024 and not 2017? 

is this another example of the excellence of the US Embassy in Thailand?  Besides renewing or replacing a passport really don't have much need for the Embassy. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, PaulDee said:

First I've learned of it as well. How can I arrange to attend in person? 🤪

Message for U.S. Citizens: Register to Attend a U.S. Citizen Town Hall with Ambassador Godec on September 9, 2024

Please register here (as below)y September 2, 2024.  You will receive an email with more details from acsbkk(at)state.gov a week before the event. 

https://forms.office.com/g/a6Gr9amuhg

20 hours ago, sqwakvfr said:

Is it virtual or in person? If it is in person when did registration begin? This is the first I have heard of this town hall.  

You answered your own question when you quoted twice in OP that "in-person" is fully booked but you can still apply to attend online (virtual).

15 minutes ago, Pattaya57 said:

You answered your own question when you quoted twice in OP that "in-person" is fully booked but you can still apply to attend online (virtual).

When I first read it was confusing.  This is the US Embassy sending this message out so it sounded like at first it was an in peson town hall at the Ambassadors House but capacity had been reached.  Therefore, Americans can attend online.  But I am not sure becaue the messaeg did not say this. I would expect little better messaging from the US Embassy to it's citizens in Thailand. 

23 hours ago, sqwakvfr said:

His Excellency the United States Ambassador

This just magnifies the elites and their self promotion.  I wasn't aware that the US Ambassadors get to carry a title of "Excellency".  I was sure that only referred to 'kingdoms'.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, sqwakvfr said:

When I first read it was confusing.  This is the US Embassy sending this message out so it sounded like at first it was an in peson town hall at the Ambassadors House but capacity had been reached.  Therefore, Americans can attend online.  But I am not sure becaue the messaeg did not say this. I would expect little better messaging from the US Embassy to it's citizens in Thailand. 

The message clearly says that it is a virtual town hall in the beginning of the message then at the beginning of the last paragraph. 

In addition, it mentions that the in-person attendance is fully booked and then that participation at the ambassador's house is fully booked. 

It also mentions that you can register to attend the meeting online twice. 

I'm not sure how clearer can the message get.

• Agree 1

16 minutes ago, AgMech Cowboy said:

This just magnifies the elites and their self promotion.  I wasn't aware that the US Ambassadors get to carry a title of "Excellency".  I was sure that only referred to 'kingdoms'.

US Ambassadors are not addressed as Excellency by American citizens though foreigners often do because Excellency is a standard address for Ambassadors of every country.Being a Kingdom has nothing to do with it.But you are right the use of Excellency in this instance does seem a bit odd since it's contained in a communication from the American Embassy to American citizens.By the way I don't think the use of the Excellency address is anything to do with self promotion - it's just standard diplomatic etiquette.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 1tent42 said:

The message clearly says that it is a virtual town hall in the beginning of the message then at the beginning of the last paragraph. 

In addition, it mentions that the in-person attendance is fully booked and then that participation at the ambassador's house is fully booked. 

It also mentions that you can register to attend the meeting online twice. 

I'm not sure how clearer can the message get.

First it says this:

"Join us for a virtual town hall with Ambassador Godec on September 9 to learn more about the U.S. Embassy's and Consulate General's priorities in Thailand"

Then it says

"Please note that the seats for participation at the Ambassador's House จํานวน are fully booked but you can still register to attend online at https://forms.office.com/g/a6Gr9amuhg from today to 2 September 2567"

So what is it?  Virtual Town or an event at the Ambassadors House?  

This does not sound clear to me? 

11 hours ago, AgMech Cowboy said:

Never too late to learn.

In my lifetime, the ambassadors of all countries, not only of Kingdoms, have always had the title "Excellency"

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

They must be short of folks as I was invited to attend. My usual attire is a nice t-shirt, slacks and tennis shoes so hopefully I won't get turned away at the door. I wonder if phones are allowed or is it like going into the embassy itself with empty pockets? Do I say 'Excellency or hey dude'?

Hopefully a cold Dr. Pepper will be offered. 

invite.png