After 62 Years of Operation, Tang Hua Seng Department Store Struggles In Customer Numbers

snoop1130

14086338_1142395012470886_2064160685453141332_o.jpg

For more than six decades, the Tang Hua Seng Department Store has been a favorite shopping spot in Thonburi. However, this well-known store is currently experiencing a troubling drop in customer numbers. It's become increasingly deserted, leading to concerns that it might close down soon.

Tang Hua Seng has two branches in Thonburi and Bang Lamphu and has been a regular stop for most locals. A Twitter user, @Ma_Mon, recently highlighted the challenging situation at the Thonburi branch using pictures and personal stories, indicating a noticeable drop in shoppers and activities.

The store looked empty and gloomy, it seems like just a few floors were running. The craft sections based on the third floor were a bit busy, while the first floor that sold clothes and cosmetics carried only a few brands. Additionally, the store's grocery section was now limited to the basement.

A multitude of sentimental comments recalling old memories flooded in from social media users when they learnt about Tang Hua Seng's struggling state. A large number of them confessed they hadn't visited the store in several years, while some were upset about the possible shut down.

Some comments spoke of special experiences and a longing to keep the store open. Others looked back on their earlier interactions while expressing sadness at the store's current state. Many acknowledged the store's efforts in trying to stay afloat amid increased competition from larger retail chains.

The plight of Tang Hua Seng showcases an overarching shift in customer behavior and the growing dominance of more contemporary, larger retail formats. There were also nostalgic mentions of various services offered in earlier times and the hope that such unique offerings could help its revival.

File photo for reference only

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-08-20

Cigna offers a variety of health insurance plans designed to meet the minimum requirement for medical treatment coverage, with benefits reaching up to THB 3 million. These plans are tailored to provide comprehensive healthcare solutions for expatriates, ensuring peace of mind and access to quality medical services. To explore the full range of Cigna's expat health insurance options and find a plan that suits your needs, click here for more information.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

3 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

A multitude of sentimental comments recalling old memories flooded in from social media users when they learnt about Tang Hua Seng's struggling state. A large number of them confessed they hadn't visited the store in several years, while some were upset about the possible shut down.

So get your butts down there and buy their stuff.

You are the problem and the solution.

6 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

So get your butts down there and buy their stuff.

You are the problem and the solution.

I got that impression too... if they don't want it to close then go there and buy something.

• Agree 2

People are just too lazy now and it’s just very easy and cheap to order online. Times are changing and unfortunately these places will be closed down sooner or later. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

I can't count the number of huge retailers that swirled down the same drain back home.

The two that come to mind are K-Mart and Woolworths, because I spent so much time in my youth looking through the toys and then the sporting goods at each of them.  Eventually, shopping there became akin to shopping at a warehouse for damaged and obsolete goods.  Then, they were gone.

Contrast that with Academy Sports, which started as a peddler of factory seconds and is now everywhere.  Though, today they are more of a clothing store that has some sports stuff.  I liked them better when they were junk shops.  I always pulled in whenever I passed one.  Nowadays, I only shop there when I'm on a mission, and get in and out as quick as I can.  I'm the same way with the new and zoomy Bass Pro's and Cabela's.  Clothing stores with some sporting stuff...

• Like 1