Palang Pracharath Splits Over Thammanat Cabinet Snub

Dtbezn3nNUxytg04avc6d19SGFYDd5zg3zLWxjs5ig7cqN.webp

Thailand's Palang Pracharath Party is facing internal turmoil once again after its secretary-general, Thammanat Prompao, was excluded from the new Cabinet lineup. This development threatens to further divide the party, heightening tensions between different factions.

Today, Prawit Wongsuwan, the party leader, submitted a list of four ministerial nominees to the Pheu Thai Party, which leads the current coalition government. However, notably absent from this list was the polarising figure of Thammanat. The move is seen as a strategic exclusion that has generated discontent within the ranks.

The exclusion from Prime Minister Paetongtarn Shinawatra's Cabinet has left Thammanat and his followers aggrieved. Thammanat, who also holds the post of acting Minister of Agriculture and Cooperatives, has significant backing within the party. About 18 of the 38 Palang Pracharath MPs are loyal to him, while the others remain aligned with Prawit, according to a party source.

To fill the gap, it is believed that Deputy Palang Pracharath leader Chaiwut Thanakhamanusorn will take Thammanat's place in the Cabinet. However, his specific role remains unconfirmed. This change was partly driven by concerns over potential legal repercussions.

image.jpeg

Thammanat Prompao. Picture courtesy: Thai Rath

Thammanat's past conviction on drug-related charges in Australia could open the door to lawsuits. His appointment could jeopardise Paetongtarn’s premiership, much like when Srettha Thavisin was ousted by the Constitutional Court due to a controversial ministerial appointment.

The divide within Palang Pracharath may lead Thammanat to push for a significant move. He might urge Prawit to let the executive board expel him and his loyal MPs from the party, allowing them to align with another group within a 30-day period, as permitted by law, reported Thai Newsroom. 

This situation isn't new for Thammanat; he previously spearheaded a departure of 16 MPs to the Thai Economics Party, only to return to Palang Pracharath last year. As the dust settles, the internal conflict could lead to significant shifts within the Thai political landscape, further fracturing an already divided party.

TOP Picture courtesy: Thai Rath

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-08-21

Cigna offers a variety of health insurance plans designed to meet the minimum requirement for medical treatment coverage, with benefits reaching up to THB 3 million. These plans are tailored to provide comprehensive healthcare solutions for expatriates, ensuring peace of mind and access to quality medical services. To explore the full range of Cigna's expat health insurance options and find a plan that suits your needs, click here for more information.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, kcpattaya said:

It was flour - not heroin.
So, Thammanat only spent 4 years in prison.
Why would you not appoint him in your cabinet?! 
🤣

And the other one Chada the gangster,

Why place a police officer in charge of the Ministry of Education, an inexperienced person in charge of environmental issues, or someone with ties to organized crime in positions meant to combat such activities. Individuals with a history of criminal activity should also be excluded from government roles to maintain public trust.

• Agree 2

5 hours ago, nakhonandy said:

So she doesn't want a convicted flour dealer in the cabinet.

It makes sense.

I guess he could open a  family bakery with his 18 loyal followers.

• Haha 1

Interesting, though confusing. The last PM was thrown out of office for the fact, that he appointed a former convict who did six months in jail for corruption. The same government flatly ignored the agricultural minister's little history background on some four kilogrammes of heroin smuggled into Australia. He left Bangkok with baking flour and, Lourdes or Fatima or any other Holy Spirit, converted the flour into heroin. The poor fellow insisted on Australia having thrown him into the slammer by mistake and the Thai court stated, that convictions OUTside Thailand had no relevance within Thailand. 

Hence now the poor flour-to-heroin victim bolts like a young foul over the fact, that his advice seems to be uncalled for by the 31st PM of the Land. All the while he could be so helpful indeed 😉

• Like 1

6 hours ago, fondue zoo said:

I swear, our local larb seller (delicious by the way) has that same material for their table cloths.

I thought it was the new inmates attire issued by the Department for Corrections.

9 minutes ago, Sydebolle said:

He left Bangkok with baking flour and, Lourdes or Fatima or any other Holy Spirit, converted the flour into heroin.

I've heard about this phenomena, it was part of the Narco-Nativity story, Passion of the Dough, and I think the Catholics refer to it as transubstantiation.

8 hours ago, Suua said:

2 of the worst human failures to leave a stain on humanity,  who are responsible for the deaths of innocent people.

Their DNA should never be passed into the global gene pool....removed permanently in the ideal world.

Who Netanyahu and Hitler? Surely you can't mean Prawit.....what 'stain on humanity' has he left?

9 hours ago, fondue zoo said:

I swear, our local larb seller (delicious by the way) has that same material for their table cloths.

I was wondering where I'd seen that material before. My missus has a tea towel the same.

14 hours ago, retarius said:

Who Netanyahu and Hitler? Surely you can't mean Prawit.....what 'stain on humanity' has he left?

14 hours ago, retarius said:

I guess you haven't followed the news over the past few years.......having political activists murdered ring any bells?