Man scammed out of 16,000 baht in Facebook amulet auction

snoop1130

amulet-scam.jpg

A man reported being scammed out of 16,000 baht after attempting to bid on a valuable amulet on Facebook, only to be blocked by the page and left empty-handed. The police are now investigating the incident.

Yesterday, August 20, a 38 year old man identified as “A” went to the Mueang Udon Thani Police Station to file a report. He explained that he had participated in an online auction for a Luang Pu Thuat amulet, a highly revered item, through a Facebook page called เนท ลำปาง LIVE, which boasted around 50,000 followers. Given the page’s substantial following, it appeared reputable, prompting him to join the auction.

“I saw the page advertising an auction for a Luang Pu Thuat amulet from Wat Pradu Chimphli, dating back to 1978 to 1980. This particular amulet is known for its high value, often reaching millions of baht due to its historical and religious significance.”

The auction began with a starting bid of 13,000 baht (US$380), with increments of 500 baht (US$15). The auction was set to close at 3pm. As the bidding progressed, A noticed several participants, potentially shill bidders, driving up the price to 15,000 baht (US$440).

Determined to secure the amulet, he placed a final bid of 16,000 baht (US$470). Shortly after the auction closed, he received a message at 3.03pm confirming his winning bid and providing bank account details for the payment.

To ensure the transaction’s legitimacy, he requested to see the seller’s ID card to verify that the name matched the bank account details. The page complied and sent a matching ID. Although the page offered additional amulets for purchase, A declined and asked them to ship the item he had won. He also requested the tracking number for the shipment for his verification.

Amulet scam

However, when he checked his messages the next morning, he found that he had been blocked by the auction page, and the page itself was no longer visible. Realising he had been deceived, he also received warnings from others who had fallen victim to the same scam, prompting him to file a police report, reported KhaoSod.

“I felt uneasy when I couldn’t see the page anymore. Then, I received messages from others who had been scammed by the same page, which confirmed my fears. That’s when I decided to go to the police.”

The Mueang Udon Thani Police are now investigating the case, aiming to track down the individuals behind the fraudulent Facebook page. They are urging others who may have been scammed by the same page to come forward and provide information to assist in their investigation.

By Bright Choomanee

Picture courtesy of Siamrath

Source: The Thaiger 2024-08-21

-  Cigna offers a variety of health insurance plans designed to meet the minimum requirement for medical treatment coverage, with benefits reaching up to THB 3 million. These plans are tailored to provide comprehensive healthcare solutions for expatriates, ensuring peace of mind and access to quality medical services. To explore the full range of Cigna's expat health insurance options and find a plan that suits your needs, click here for more information.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

49 minutes ago, ikke1959 said:

It is all scam as amulets are worthless.. It is what value  people give to it, but in fact it is all worthless

Everything is worthless, but relies on what the person who buys wants to pay.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

“I saw the page advertising an auction for a Luang Pu Thuat amulet from Wat Pradu Chimphli, dating back to 1978 to 1980. This particular amulet is known for its high value, often reaching millions of baht due to its historical and religious significance.”

For sale on Facebook... Red flag right there.

I am not saying my wife is being scammed , but she has in the past week or so announced we have a baby ghost living in the house. She has said she has seen it and felt it and it is in her dreams. Convinced eldest daughter on it now too . She has even started buying toys for the baby ghost to play with. I think a bell arrived yesterday that she says will ring when the baby comes out at night !! 

I get the feeling if some scammer out there offers her a visual ghost detector, then my bank balance is going down