How on earth do you Diet in Thailand ?

3 hours ago, maesariang said:

I think the whole weight loss thing is a scam. Warren Buffet is fat and 93. Just eat enough vitamins and minerals.

So for you not only non stop posting but non stop eating. How much do you weigh?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, DonniePeverley said:

.... as in trying to lose weight, not maintaining. 

Calories aren't a major weapon used here - unless you look to buy heavily processed ready  made meals. 

I was eating a single Pad Kaprao a day for a week, and some fruit on the evening. Didn't lose anything. 

Went behind the scenes to see how this Pad Kaprao was being made (under the guise of being a good customer). My goodness this isn't some healthy meal, little bit of chicken mixed into some spicy veg and some rice. Hell no. Instead the volume of oil used was enough to burn a building. She then proceeds to add 20 large spoons (i literally lie to you not) of sugar, followed by endless volume of a salt called MGM. So you think that's it ... no there were more. Once finished she began to put some butter into it, a proper massive lump !!!!!

The sheer volume of salt and MSG put into the rice was astonishing.

I came away thinking this isn't just some minor small meal. This is a one hell of a calorie laden meal. 

My question is to you all ... how on earth do you count calories here and lose weight ?

1) don’t eat junk.

2) extercise

• Like 1

3 hours ago, gamb00ler said:

A simpleton's analysis that leaves out dozens of important factors.

as do most of Dolf/, susanlea's and now maesariang's posts. 

• Sad 1
  • Agree 2

13 hours ago, hotandsticky said:

Pad Krappow is my favourite Thai dish...........but I only have one or two a month.

How many calories are in pad kra pow?

Energy: 547 calories   (well over 600 calories if you stick on an egg or two,)

Protein37g

Carbs67g

Fat15g

Carbs67g   that kills all fat burning right there

go 1 week ..  no rice, no noodles, no bread, no pasta   no soda/beer or any other sugar laden drink 

eat beef,,  butter, eggs    ..  drink water  ( no chicken or pork )

eat until you are satiated ..    don't waste your time trying to count calories..    useless effort

• Sad 3
  • Agree 1

27 minutes ago, AddyA said:

Losing weight and keeping off the fat is the easiest thing in the world.

See, there are only three macronutrients, Fat, Protein, and Carbohydrates. Only two of those are essential to life, and it ain't the last one. You wanna lose weight and never gain an ounce? Just eat an animal-based diet and say no to all plants, including fruits, veggies, nuts, seeds, grains, and oils.

PLANTS?

Yes, plants. Anyone who's struggling to lose weight should look at the plants on their plate. The body converts ALL carbs into blood sugar (glucose). Your body's cells only have so much room for glucose storage. And anything over a teaspoon of glucose in the blood is toxic and MUST be removed quickly. The excess glucose in the bloodstream simply gets converted into fat and stored in the adipose. And that's what makes you chubby!

POPULAR PLANT FOODS (CARBS) CONVERTED TO TEASPOONS OF SUGAR PER SERVING

• 1 cup of BOILED Rice: 45g carbs = 11.25 teaspoons of sugar
  • 1 medium BOILED potato: 37g carbs = 9.25 teaspoons of sugar
  • 1 cup of COOKED oatmeal: 27g carbs = 6.75 teaspoons of sugar
  • 1 medium Banana: 27g carbs = 6.75 teaspoons of sugar
  • 1 cup of COOKED pasta: 25g carbs = 6.25 teaspoons of sugar
  • 1 medium apple: 25g carbs = 6.25 teaspoons of sugar
  • 1 single slice of white bread: 15g carbs = 3.75 teaspoons of sugar

POPULAR ANIMAL FOODS CONVERTED TO TEASPOONS OF SUGAR PER SERVING

• Beef: 0 grams carbs = 0 teaspoons of sugar
  • Lamb: 0 grams carbs = 0 teaspoons of sugar
  • Pork: 0 grams carbs = 0 teaspoons of sugar
  • Chicken: 0 grams carbs = 0 teaspoons of sugar
  • Eggs: ~0.6 grams carbs per large egg = 0.15 teaspoons of sugar
  • Fish: 0 grams = 0 teaspoons of sugar

HEART-HEALTHY ANIMAL FATS CONVERTED TO TEASPOONS OF SUGAR

• Tallow: 0 grams = 0 teaspoons of sugar
  • Lard: 0 grams = 0 teaspoons of sugar
  • Butter: 0.1 grams per 100 grams 0.025 teaspoons of sugar
  • Ghee: 0 grams = 0 teaspoons of sugar

So, there you go. No need to complicate weight gain, weight loss, and weight maintenance ever again 😉. And anyone who still thinks saturated fat, cholesterol, and red meat are dangerous, well.... 

"W-w-w-w... Here Shep, c'mon, boy!"

Bravo !

• Sad 1

13 hours ago, gargamon said:

Cut out the rice and noodles and you'll do fine. Larb, ribs, even the curries without rice works well for me.

Same here, cut out/down on the carbs. It works for me.

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

I prefer actual degrees in health science to YouTube degrees.

https://www.health.harvard.edu/staying-healthy/should-you-try-the-keto-diet

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/dangers-of-keto-diet

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7480775/

Please shower my post with those beautiful bright yellow emojis.  From  certain sources I consider them on par with a hearty round of applause. 

Edited by gamb00ler
  • Sad 1

41 minutes ago, gamb00ler said:

I prefer actual degrees in health science to YouTube degrees. 

ABOUT REVIEW ARTICLES

Not even scientists take review articles literally. They are written by individuals who often have their own biases and perspectives (usually influenced by their backer's demands). Think Big Food and Big Pharma.  Now, let's take a look at the casually dropped links from a previous post.

#1 https://www.health.harvard.edu/staying-healthy/should-you-try-the-keto-diet 

This is a review article or summary piece about the ketogenic diet, but it proves nothing. It's based on existing bits of research and opinions, but the results are all over the place. Whenever you read a so-called scientific study like this, there are three words to look out for, linked, associated, and may. Stop reading the moment you see any of those words because it's scaremongering junk science funded by bad actors (see above). Those who unequivocally disagree are most likely from the pro-booster camp, if you know what I mean ;)

And BTW, don't let the word HARVARD suck you in. Seriously, some of the most harmful dietary guidelines ever published have come out of that dangerous institution.

#2 https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/dangers-of-keto-diet 

Oh, look, another review article. The text here is a synthesis of findings from multiple studies, clinical observations and potential associations. It does not present any new research or prove anything. The evidence it spouts comes from a mishmash of shallow clinical studies, epidemiological research, and a handful of biased reports. Thus, the review relies on secondary sources and research trends but fails to provide any substantive conclusions.

#3 https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7480775/

Whoops a daisy! This is yet another review study that's trying to fool the layperson. Its findings on the KD's effects are inconclusive due to limitations in study design, sample size, and duration (like most of the junk dietary science fed into the public domain). It even states that larger studies with longer follow-ups are needed to determine accurate outcomes, therefore making its conclusion opinion-based trash, not facts.

A wise man once said, believe nothing you hear, only half of what you read. He was right. Question everything folks. Empower yourself with critical thinking and a healthy does of skepticism.

• Sad 2
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

16 hours ago, DonniePeverley said:

Pad Kaprao

Nutrition Facts

For 1 servings of thai basil pork (pad kra pao) (557g)

Nutrient Value %DV
Calories 326  
Fats 8g 10%
Saturated fats 3g 16%
Trans fats 0g  
Cholesterol 49mg 16%
Sodium 730mg 32%
Carbs 34g 12%
Net carbs 30g  
Fiber 4g 15%
Sugar 20g  
Protein 31g  

Calcium 195mg 19%
Iron 2mg 27%
Potassium 1044mg 22%
Vitamin D 0μg 0%
Vitamins and Minerals
Alpha carotene 6μg  
Beta carotene 1272μg  
Caffeine 0mg  
Choline 25mg 5%
Copper 0.3mg 31%
Fluoride 0.1μg  
Folate (B9) 110μg 27%
Lycopene 0μg  
Magnesium 63mg 15%
Manganese 1mg 46%
Niacin 1mg 8%
Pantothenic acid 1mg 10%
Phosphorus 122mg 17%
Retinol 0.2μg  
Riboflavin (B2) 0.1mg 4%
Selenium 3μg 6%
Theobromine 0mg  
Thiamine 0.1mg 9%
Vitamin A IU 2255IU  
Vitamin A 122μg 14%
Vitamin B12 0μg 0%
Vitamin B6 1mg 47%
Vitamin C 74mg 82%
Vitamin D IU 0IU  
Vitamin D2 0μg  
Vitamin D3 0μg  
Vitamin E 1mg 5%
Vitamin K 106μg 88%
Zinc 1mg 8%
Sugars
Sugar 20g  
Sucrose 2g  
Glucose 12g  
Fructose 8g  
Lactose 0.1g  
Maltose 0g  
Galactose 0.1g  
Starch 0g  
Fats
Saturated fats 3g 16%
Monounsaturated fats 2g  
Polyunsaturated fats 1g  
Trans fats 0g  
Fatty Acids
Total omega 3 0g  
Total omega 6 0g  
Alpha Linolenic Acid (ALA) 0g  
Docosahexaenoic Acid (DHA) 0g  
Eicosapentaenoic Acid (EPA) 0g  
Docosapentaenoic Acid (DPA) 0g  
Amino Acids
Alanine 0.1g  
Arginine 0.4g  
Aspartic acid 0.4g  
Cystine 0.1g  
Glutamic acid 1g  
Glycine 0.1g  
Histidine 0.1g  
Hydroxyproline 0g  
Isoleucine 0.1g  
Leucine 0.1g  
Lysine 0.1g  
Methionine 0.1g  
Phenylalanine 0.1g  
Proline 0.1g  
Serine 0.1g  
Threonine 0.1g  
Tryptophan 0.1g  
Tyrosine 0.1g  
Valine 0.1g  

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, AddyA said:

ABOUT REVIEW ARTICLES

Not even scientists take review articles literally. They are written by individuals who often have their own biases and perspectives (usually influenced by their backer's demands). Think Big Food and Big Pharma.  Now, let's take a look at the casually dropped links from a previous post.

#1 https://www.health.harvard.edu/staying-healthy/should-you-try-the-keto-diet 

This is a review article or summary piece about the ketogenic diet, but it proves nothing. It's based on existing bits of research and opinions, but the results are all over the place. Whenever you read a so-called scientific study like this, there are three words to look out for, linked, associated, and may. Stop reading the moment you see any of those words because it's scaremongering junk science funded by bad actors (see above). Those who unequivocally disagree are most likely from the pro-booster camp, if you know what I mean ;)

And BTW, don't let the word HARVARD suck you in. Seriously, some of the most harmful dietary guidelines ever published have come out of that dangerous institution.

#2 https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/dangers-of-keto-diet 

Oh, look, another review article. The text here is a synthesis of findings from multiple studies, clinical observations and potential associations. It does not present any new research or prove anything. The evidence it spouts comes from a mishmash of shallow clinical studies, epidemiological research, and a handful of biased reports. Thus, the review relies on secondary sources and research trends but fails to provide any substantive conclusions.

#3 https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7480775/

Whoops a daisy! This is yet another review study that's trying to fool the layperson. Its findings on the KD's effects are inconclusive due to limitations in study design, sample size, and duration (like most of the junk dietary science fed into the public domain). It even states that larger studies with longer follow-ups are needed to determine accurate outcomes, therefore making its conclusion opinion-based trash, not facts.

A wise man once said, believe nothing you hear, only half of what you read. He was right. Question everything folks. Empower yourself with critical thinking and a healthy does of skepticism.

So, you're saying that the articles are just opinion.... isn't that what your original post was?  But... it's the opinions of people that didn't just watch YouTube for their "education".

The keto diet is extreme and the only benefit from it that is "better" than a diet that includes lots of vegetables and fruits......is the speed of weight loss.  Eventually the keto diet won't lose weight any faster than a well rounded caloric reduction diet, but you're still exposed to its health risks.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Felt 35 said:

Nutrition Facts

For 1 servings of thai basil pork (pad kra pao) (557g)

Nutrient Value %DV
Calories 326  
Fats 8g 10%
Saturated fats 3g 16%
Trans fats 0g  
Cholesterol 49mg 16%
Sodium 730mg 32%
Carbs 34g 12%
Net carbs 30g  
Fiber 4g 15%
Sugar 20g  
Protein 31g  

Calcium 195mg 19%
Iron 2mg 27%
Potassium 1044mg 22%
Vitamin D 0μg 0%
Vitamins and Minerals
Alpha carotene 6μg  
Beta carotene 1272μg  
Caffeine 0mg  
Choline 25mg 5%
Copper 0.3mg 31%
Fluoride 0.1μg  
Folate (B9) 110μg 27%
Lycopene 0μg  
Magnesium 63mg 15%
Manganese 1mg 46%
Niacin 1mg 8%
Pantothenic acid 1mg 10%
Phosphorus 122mg 17%
Retinol 0.2μg  
Riboflavin (B2) 0.1mg 4%
Selenium 3μg 6%
Theobromine 0mg  
Thiamine 0.1mg 9%
Vitamin A IU 2255IU  
Vitamin A 122μg 14%
Vitamin B12 0μg 0%
Vitamin B6 1mg 47%
Vitamin C 74mg 82%
Vitamin D IU 0IU  
Vitamin D2 0μg  
Vitamin D3 0μg  
Vitamin E 1mg 5%
Vitamin K 106μg 88%
Zinc 1mg 8%
Sugars
Sugar 20g  
Sucrose 2g  
Glucose 12g  
Fructose 8g  
Lactose 0.1g  
Maltose 0g  
Galactose 0.1g  
Starch 0g  
Fats
Saturated fats 3g 16%
Monounsaturated fats 2g  
Polyunsaturated fats 1g  
Trans fats 0g  
Fatty Acids
Total omega 3 0g  
Total omega 6 0g  
Alpha Linolenic Acid (ALA) 0g  
Docosahexaenoic Acid (DHA) 0g  
Eicosapentaenoic Acid (EPA) 0g  
Docosapentaenoic Acid (DPA) 0g  
Amino Acids
Alanine 0.1g  
Arginine 0.4g  
Aspartic acid 0.4g  
Cystine 0.1g  
Glutamic acid 1g  
Glycine 0.1g  
Histidine 0.1g  
Hydroxyproline 0g  
Isoleucine 0.1g  
Leucine 0.1g  
Lysine 0.1g  
Methionine 0.1g  
Phenylalanine 0.1g  
Proline 0.1g  
Serine 0.1g  
Threonine 0.1g  
Tryptophan 0.1g  
Tyrosine 0.1g  
Valine 0.1g  

Lol No way , thats way off , no way would it be 300 kcal for a 500 g serving of Pad kapro from a real restaurant .......

100g of pork meat alone would be about 300 kcal + 600 + kcal for rice +  200 kcal for extra sugar and oil ...........Minimum 1000 kcal for a decent serving of pad krao pow in a restaurant.........

You might get 300 kcal from those 100g tiny meals you get from 7 eleven though.......

---

How do you diet in Thailand?

-Order Seabass, Salmon Steak + Morning Glory/Asparagus/ + Small serving of dill sauce would be my go to meal

-Otherwise Chicken Steak and Salad

No way I would ever be eating Thai meals .....If I was dieting down......loaded with MSG, Vegetable Oil, Added Sugar + Carbs from Rice (Literally the worst type of food for dieting) 

• Agree 2

7 hours ago, gamb00ler said:

So, you're saying that the articles are just opinion.... isn't that what your original post was?  But... it's the opinions of people that didn't just watch YouTube for their "education".

The keto diet is extreme and the only benefit from it that is "better" than a diet that includes lots of vegetables and fruits......is the speed of weight loss.  Eventually the keto diet won't lose weight any faster than a well rounded caloric reduction diet, but you're still exposed to its health risks.

Research on keto is limited. Is it extreme? Not really. Carnivore is extreme. Keto is 5% carbs. Dr Ken Berry recommends it. 

19 hours ago, Will B Good said:

Cereal for breakfast, fruit and yoghurt for lunch, salad in the evening.

Dropped from 89 kg to 74 kg over a year.

If you talk about your weight it means nothing if you don't mention your height.

• Agree 1

Ditto the above. 188 and 80 kgs for over six months, I weigh myself every morning and make sure my weight never varies by more than 1 kg, if it does, I adjust my diet that day. It's a lot lot easier to gain/lose 2 lbs than it is twenty or thirty. My blood work numbers are now the best I have seen them in 15 years.

Some good advises in this thread. To make it short, it is time to understand how your body works, why you are "hungry" at fixed times, what is making you getting fat, where does running/exercise get their sugar from (Blood, Liver, fat cells or muscles)... and so on. Learn and listen to your body, not your brain which is only asking for sugar.

The reasonable answer is to prepare your own food, as the subject was specific of Thai country. And yes some restaurants, mostly foreign ones, will listen to your specific needs. The mai pen rai culture in Thailand does not help to respect your needs on a long term basis.

Get away from any form of sugar (99% of 7/11 products), push on vegetable / meat. Learn how to eat.

Always do your workout before eating anything, then you will use your fat (if you don't go fast). Fat burning is low level cardio, a smartwatch can help you. Then you will burn ketones !

Two last things :

1 - eat your calories, NEVER drink them ... 1 apple is better than 1 (real) apple juice. Tea/Coffee/Water are your drinks !

2 - never eat your carbs "naked" ... Begin (or mix) vegetables, good oil, or even meat, then carbs will act differently on insulin.

Organic food will multiply the good effects. Good luck ! Easy to loose 10-15kg in 6 months.

• Agree 1

189 and around 104 kgs , been around the same for past 22 odd years...  last time I was this weight was when I was 12 years old..

Over weight when sat down .... when standing people get a shock.... size 14 shoes [ smallest of all the males on my Mothers side]... inside leg 38"

As a kid and into teens, my Mother myself and sister went to weight watchers classes and trid every diet + so called diet pills etc  ....  @ 21 yrs was around 146kg, so over the years have been up and done, lowest 96 kg.in my 30's

Now at 74 I watch what I eat, Do not eat junk food, could not care less on what others think

In 2005 I was 79kg and had very little body fat and a 32 inch waist. When I moved here in 2008, I weight 94 KG. I dieted with the aid of Ozempic last year down to 80kg.....but as soon as I stopped taking the stuff, I went immediately back to 94kg. (For the more pedantic among you, I didn't really go straight back to 94, but did so over a period of about 3 months). I've no interest in dieting any more and I'll weigh what I weigh and hang it. My life is now too short to deny myself the comfort and deliciousness of massive amounts of food. 

• Sad 1