Thailand Emerges as Medical Haven for Somali Patients

36 minutes ago, webfact said:

he’s convinced that Thailand could become a go-to spot for Somali medical tourism.

COULD being the operative word, There are not many Somalians that can afford to come here, yet alone pay hospital bills. Maybe if they distributed the wealth from their oil reserves (which is not publicly disclosed) more fairly they could build their own hospitals. 

At least 80% of the population live in poverty. Yet here he is on a Tour of Thailand. (who payed for that ? Thailand or Somali ?

27 minutes ago, mokwit said:

I wondered if they knew it wasn't free and the government doesn't give you handouts and find you a house.

Translation - I don't know what I am talking about and I am scared of brown people 

• Confused 4
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, brianthainess said:

COULD being the operative word, There are not many Somalians that can afford to come here, yet alone pay hospital bills. Maybe if they distributed the wealth from their oil reserves (which is not publicly disclosed) more fairly they could build their own hospitals. 

At least 80% of the population live in poverty. Yet here he is on a Tour of Thailand. (who payed for that ? Thailand or Somali ?

I don't know

3 hours ago, webfact said:

image.jpeg

File photo courtesy: Somali Embassy

Somalia’s ambassador to Kenya, Jabril Ibrahim Abdulle, has found an unexpected destination for Somalians seeking medical treatment—Thailand. After a visit in August, he’s convinced that Thailand could become a go-to spot for Somali medical tourism.

Ambassador Abdulle toured Thailand from August 13 to 21 on a trip organized by the Royal Thai Embassy in Nairobi. Designed to spotlight Thailand’s medical services, the tour aimed to prove the country’s healthcare was high-quality, economical, and culturally sensitive, making it a good fit for Somalians.

Emerging from three decades of civil war, Somalia is on the road to recovery, bringing with it a rising demand for superior medical services. While Somalia rebuilds its infrastructure, Abdulle views Thailand as a viable alternative to popular medical destinations like India and the Middle East.

“Indeed, Thailand is a bit far when you compare it to, for example, the Middle East or some other African countries, but I think [Thai] medical services are well known throughout the world, and most importantly, it’s the medical service we can afford,” Abdulle noted.

“Our people now have the option of going to India if they want, but also the option of coming to Thailand. Coming here and visiting different hospitals, we are very much convinced that Thailand has better services and better medical care than other countries.”

Cultural considerations are also a significant factor for Somali patients, most of whom are Muslim. Abdulle was impressed that Thai hospitals feature amenities like prayer rooms, halal meals, and even mosques, combined with top-notch medical care.

Beyond healthcare, Abdulle sees broader collaboration opportunities between Somalia and Thailand, particularly in sectors such as fishing, textiles, and power generation. This visit could mark the beginning of a more robust partnership between the two nations.

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-08-23

Cigna Banner (500x100) (1).png

Get the ASEAN NOW daily NEWSLETTER - Click HERE to subscribe

So far I haven't seen any Somali here.

However, I think they might visit a Muslim country like Malaysia with High Class Medicine. 

2 minutes ago, John Drake said:

Once they get here, they'll never leave. Happens everywhere Somalis go. They'll just disappear into the background and underground economy.

I haven't seen any. They are ALL in your neighborhood?? Amazing😂

4 hours ago, webfact said:

Somalia’s ambassador to Kenya, Jabril Ibrahim Abdulle, has found an unexpected destination for Somalians seeking medical treatment—Thailand. After a visit in August, he’s convinced that Thailand could become a go-to spot for Somali medical tourism.

Will they arrive by boat?

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

10 minutes ago, mokwit said:

Depends on what the last ship they seized was carrying.

I must admit when I scanned the headlines this morning I thought I read "pirates" not "patients' - how wrong I was!

2 hours ago, newbee2022 said:

I haven't seen any. They are ALL in your neighborhood?? Amazing😂

Why they should go to an expensive Thai Hospital and have to pay the other side cost themselfes while they can get medical surgery for free plus some hand money in Europe if they just be able to speak one holy word: Asylum.

Thailand comes 9 years too late

• Like 1

image.jpeg

6 hours ago, webfact said:

Ambassador Abdulle toured Thailand from August 13 to 21 on a trip organized by the Royal Thai Embassy in Nairobi

8 day junket in Thailand, I would be smiling also!

As far as I was aware, the civil war in Somalia, especially in Central and Southern Somalia, is still very much ongoing.

I am sure a few pirates might be able to afford the costs of Bumrungrad, but I can see the other 99% being able to.

2 hours ago, Scouse123 said:

As far as I was aware, the civil war in Somalia, especially in Central and Southern Somalia, is still very much ongoing.

I am sure a few pirates might be able to afford the costs of Bumrungrad, but I can see the other 99% being able to.

Come here on medical visas, never to return.

• Like 1

Don't you mean Somali Pirates?

9 hours ago, webfact said:

image.jpeg

File photo courtesy: Somali Embassy

Ambassador Abdulle toured Thailand from August 13 to 21 on a trip organized by the Royal Thai Embassy in Nairobi. Designed to spotlight Thailand’s medical services, the tour aimed to prove the country’s healthcare was high-quality, economical, and culturally sensitive, making it a good fit for Somalians.

Emerging from three decades of civil war, Somalia is on the road to recovery, bringing with it a rising demand for superior medical services. While Somalia rebuilds its infrastructure, Abdulle views Thailand as a viable alternative to popular medical destinations like India and the Middle East.

“Indeed, Thailand is a bit far when you compare it to, for example, the Middle East or some other African countries, but I think [Thai] medical services are well known throughout the world, and most importantly, it’s the medical service we can afford,” Abdulle noted.

“Our people now have the option of going to India if they want, but also the option of coming to Thailand. Coming here and visiting different hospitals, we are very much convinced that Thailand has better services and better medical care than other countries.”

Cultural considerations are also a significant factor for Somali patients, most of whom are Muslim. Abdulle was impressed that Thai hospitals feature amenities like prayer rooms, halal meals, and even mosques, combined with top-notch medical care.

Beyond healthcare, Abdulle sees broader collaboration opportunities between Somalia and Thailand, particularly in sectors such as fishing, textiles, and power generation. This visit could mark the beginning of a more robust partnership between the two nations.

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-08-23

Cigna Banner (500x100) (1).png

Get the ASEAN NOW daily NEWSLETTER - Click HERE to subscribe