Jump to content

Does using a VPN impact online banking?


Recommended Posts

I had trouble logging in to my Charles Schwab account for the second time within a one-month span. 

 

I'm starting to suspect it's because I've been using a VPN (Windscribe).

 

Is a VPN something that could be causing the issue?

 

On a side note, has anyone else here noticed that Charles Schwab (apparently) no longer allows security code confirmation by email?  For many previous years, they would send you the security code by email.  Why have they (apparently) removed email as a method of receiving a verification code? 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, BananaBandit said:

I had trouble logging in to my Charles Schwab account for the second time within a one-month span. 

 

I'm starting to suspect it's because I've been using a VPN (Windscribe).

 

Is a VPN something that could be causing the issue?

 

On a side note, has anyone else here noticed that Charles Schwab (apparently) no longer allows security code confirmation by email?  For many previous years, they would send you the security code by email.  Why have they (apparently) removed email as a method of receiving a verification code? 

Since Schwab accepts international customers from Thailand, I assumed that a VPN was not required to access my US based Schwab account.  For over 3 years I have had no issued connecting to Schwab without a VPN.

  • Thumbs Up 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sites know if you are using a VPN, it is detected.

Had comment then and couldnt be on the site. Switching it off, I could,

as then they can know all of you and implement cookies and so on.

With VPN they dont know and therefor block.

Especially now all banks have to show and control and check where money is going and who did it.

They are really hunting for information, f they dont then they get big fines.

Terror checking, yha right, they check all and everything from anybody. But it is global set.

Maybe that is the reason why it is really harsh now in contact, they MUST know your IP.

But would be a guess. Dont use VPN for quite a while now, as for the blocking on sites.

 

Probably the same now with add blockers, like a youtube restricts the search machine.

You have to do more effort yourself, to find something, they let you use it but punish you for using an add blocker.

  • Thumbs Up 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I cannot connect online most US financial institutions, I am with. This includes Vanguard, BOA and NYCB. Also I could not log onto NatWest in the UK. The only US institution I can connect to is Fidelity. I was told by Vanguard that they didn't accept log ons from Thailand because of scams and fraud.

So I got a VPN and still couldn't connect, when I called Vanguard tech support and he said "Oh you are calling from Thailand."

I said I was using a VPN and he said "yes we know when you are using a VPN, so it still screens yo out."

So each time I have to call the institution and verify who I am and then they let me log on, but next time it is the same story. I used to travel a lot and could log on from other countries in EU, UK Japan etc, but even that has stopped now. I'm going back to close my bank accounts because it is pointless having them. I'll have my pensions paid into a joint account with my son and put the proceeds from the closed bank accounts into that. He will have access to the mobile account and will make any desired transactions. I do the same in the UK with another family member.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, retarius said:

I cannot connect online most US financial institutions, I am with. This includes Vanguard, BOA and NYCB. Also I could not log onto NatWest in the UK. The only US institution I can connect to is Fidelity. I was told by Vanguard that they didn't accept log ons from Thailand because of scams and fraud.

So I got a VPN and still couldn't connect, when I called Vanguard tech support and he said "Oh you are calling from Thailand."

I said I was using a VPN and he said "yes we know when you are using a VPN, so it still screens yo out."

So each time I have to call the institution and verify who I am and then they let me log on, but next time it is the same story. I used to travel a lot and could log on from other countries in EU, UK Japan etc, but even that has stopped now. I'm going back to close my bank accounts because it is pointless having them. I'll have my pensions paid into a joint account with my son and put the proceeds from the closed bank accounts into that. He will have access to the mobile account and will make any desired transactions. I do the same in the UK with another family member.

So if you travel, you can't log in to your account?That's ridiculous.

 

I use a VPN (Windscribe) with Fidelity but I always change the region to Eastern time. Otherwise, I tend to have problems. I also try to log in using the same IP location each time just to be on the safe side.

 

Citibank offers a Global Executive Account that avoids these problems as you can have an overseas address and telephone number. It does cost $25 a month however. Of course, you can also have an overseas address and telephone number with Schwab and Fidelity as long as your account has enough money in it!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Part of what VPN does is make it look like if you connect from a different location from where you are.

And depending on your VPN configuration that location might change often to lots of different locations all over the world.

So if one day the bank (or any other connection) thinks you are in Bangkok and the next day in USA and then in the UK and in Russia then they are "confused".

 

Hacker use this technology when they try to hack i.e. email accounts. The admin can see in the log files connection attempts from all over the world, like 30 countries within 30 minutes.

 

Banks obviously have to be careful.

  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/13/2024 at 9:02 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

depending on your VPN configuration that location might change often to lots of different locations all over the world.

So if one day the bank (or any other connection) thinks you are in Bangkok and the next day in USA and then in the UK and in Russia then they are "confused".

That looks as if the VPN service is poor unless you actually want to come from random countries. With my VPN I choose the location I want to use and that is where I come from on each use, FWIW I generally come from London Docklands 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

What works for me?

I use a VPN server in Thailand for Bangkok Bank.  They notify me via my phone that a log-on has taken place.  If my VPN server in use is in the USA I can have trouble logging on.  Not always, but sometimes.  Ad blockers must be disabled for banking sites.

I use a USA server to sign on to my USA banking, which is NFCU and Discover Card.  I always use the same state location server. 

It is important to verify you don't have ad blockers running for the web sites because they will stop some information from transmitting, making the page not load completely, and fail.  NFCU has verbally verified that using a VPN is not a problem for their customers.  I found it was the ad blockers I use on Firefox that was causing issues. 

I ALWAYS USE A VPN, FOR EVERYTHING, EVERYWHERE.  INCLUDING ON MY PHONE.

  • Agree 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Schwab account (not international) holder here.

Ive used Schwab since 2019.When I opened the account in the states I requested a Security Key device to facilitate my gaining access to my account.No vpn needed.

Recently the device started to malfunction so I switched over to their 

suggested Symantec  VIP access app.

Upon entering my user& Password it ask for my Schwab Safe security code from the Symantec app.

 

 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Joebuzzz said:

I ALWAYS USE A VPN, FOR EVERYTHING, EVERYWHERE.  INCLUDING ON MY PHONE.

Don't switch to SCB for your banking then as their mobile app (no web based access anymore) will not let you access the app if the vpn is switched on.........

  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Whether VPN interferes or not, what's the problem ?

 

If you have a hitch - turn the VPN off !

 

My VPN as it happens is never ON when I do my internet banking with Halifax and Wise. It works fine. Should be simple . . . .

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's definitely a thing with phone apps I think. My SCB app doesn't work at the moment and they don't have online banking anymore. The app always takes offence to my phone settings but the latest error is telling me to turn off my VPN. The VPN wasn't on and I found out the real issue is that I use DuckDuckGo as a browser and it blocks the trackers from the SCB app. Lots of other reviewers complain of similar issues and also the bank disabling their account while it is an issue. Not sure if mine is disabled as I basically had to switch to Kasikorn because of it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I use the Schwab app on Android. Just now logged in immediately with PIA VPN-Singapore server. No problem, nor 2-step verification needed. 

 

If I use any server, including USA, my Capital One app needs a text msg verification. No prob since I have a US sim card. To bypass, I login to CapOne without VPN, then once connected (without the need for the verification), turn on the VPN. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/13/2024 at 6:06 PM, BananaBandit said:

Is a VPN something that could be causing the issue?

Not sure id it is your specific VPN , 

I use Nord VPN and have no problem logging on to my Schwab, in fact I just had a bunch of treasuries mature, and I need to get my ass there and roll them over. 

I  just used Venmo to send some money to My daughter, without the VPN It does not allow me service, I log on to the Miami server and it works like a dream. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/13/2024 at 6:06 PM, BananaBandit said:

I had trouble logging in to my Charles Schwab account for the second time within a one-month span. 

 

How many times did you access your account successfully in this period? Two times? Twenty?

 

Why do you need to use a VPN? https://international.schwab.com/expatriate-essentials

 

On 1/13/2024 at 6:06 PM, BananaBandit said:

On a side note, has anyone else here noticed that Charles Schwab (apparently) no longer allows security code confirmation by email?

 

https://www.reddit.com/r/Schwab/comments/rsw57n/schwab_is_removing_email_as_a_2fa_when_logging_in/?rdt=39122

 

On 1/13/2024 at 6:06 PM, BananaBandit said:

On a side note, has anyone else here noticed that Charles Schwab (apparently) no longer allows security code confirmation by email?  For many previous years, they would send you the security code by email.  Why have they (apparently) removed email as a method of receiving a verification code? 

 

It looks like Schwab offers several 2FA options. Proprietary token, Symantec app. The simplest may be using the mobile app? https://www.schwab.com/content/htc-mobile-verification

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/13/2024 at 7:50 PM, retarius said:

I cannot connect online most US financial institutions, I am with. This includes Vanguard, BOA and NYCB. Also I could not log onto NatWest in the UK. The only US institution I can connect to is Fidelity. I was told by Vanguard that they didn't accept log ons from Thailand because of scams and fraud.

So I got a VPN and still couldn't connect, when I called Vanguard tech support and he said "Oh you are calling from Thailand."

I said I was using a VPN and he said "yes we know when you are using a VPN, so it still screens yo out."

So each time I have to call the institution and verify who I am and then they let me log on, but next time it is the same story. I used to travel a lot and could log on from other countries in EU, UK Japan etc, but even that has stopped now. I'm going back to close my bank accounts because it is pointless having them. I'll have my pensions paid into a joint account with my son and put the proceeds from the closed bank accounts into that. He will have access to the mobile account and will make any desired transactions. I do the same in the UK with another family member.

 Strange what you say about Vanguard.  I have had accounts with them for over 40 years.  I never had trouble logging onto them from Thailand until about 7-8 years ago.  Thinking perhaps I had a computer or internet problem, I tried a friends computer with the same result.  He suggested I try using a VPN with a U.S. IP address.  It worked and I have used a VPN ever since with no problems.  I have, in fact, used several different VPN apps with good results.  I am currently using the free version of VeePN with an Oregon based IP address.  It always works perfectly.  That said,  I think Vanguard's customer service, especially to relatively small investors, has declined in the last few years and I am thinking of taking my business elsewhere.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/13/2024 at 6:06 PM, BananaBandit said:

I had trouble logging in to my Charles Schwab account for the second time within a one-month span. 

 I have my sister's  in( FL)  , tell number on file with them. Before I log on I warn my sister that she will me getting a code  from CW and to text it to me , if my sister is not available, I just give them a call, explain that I am traveling and can't get the code  and they give it to me. .

Edited by sirineou
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, tutone said:

 Strange what you say about Vanguard.  I have had accounts with them for over 40 years.  I never had trouble logging onto them from Thailand until about 7-8 years ago.  Thinking perhaps I had a computer or internet problem, I tried a friends computer with the same result.  He suggested I try using a VPN with a U.S. IP address.  It worked and I have used a VPN ever since with no problems.  I have, in fact, used several different VPN apps with good results.  I am currently using the free version of VeePN with an Oregon based IP address.  It always works perfectly.  That said,  I think Vanguard's customer service, especially to relatively small investors, has declined in the last few years and I am thinking of taking my business elsewhere.

Thanks, I'll try a VPN again. I'll try the Oregon service. I don't really understand how VPNs work. I used a pay service in Pattaya, they offered a menu of different cities around the world where you could appear to be logging on from...

Calling Vanguard on US time is a pain. I had to stop using their brokerage services and now only use  401K account....like you I've had long standing accounts (since 1985) and I'm a 'Flagship' customer, and, I thought, supposed to get better service. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My own experience it does, it makes a difference whem you turn it on. There are time I obtain the website then notice my vpn off I then get my psssword etc rejected.  I close the website then with vpn on Return at time got to go through the security routine. Knowing this I switch my phone duel sim to U.S. then reQuest the code. 

Remember to have them remember the device.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Regarding Vanguard's website, I was having some issues last year trying to login both with VPN and without a VPN. I cleared my cookies and since then it works fine. I'm no longer using a VPN with it and have no issues.

 

The Vanguard app always worked on my phone so you might also try that. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

56 minutes ago, sirineou said:

 I have my sister's  in( FL)  , tell number on file with them. Before I log on I warn my sister that she will me getting a code  from CW and to text it to me , if my sister is not available, I just give them a call, explain that I am traveling and can't get the code  and they give it to me. .

You just mentioned you have NordVpn. why would you need to go through the hassle with your sister and getting a code from her?  I have Nord and a Schwab account. I never need to get a code from them. Did you specifically ask for it this way?  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, alex8912 said:

You just mentioned you have NordVpn. why would you need to go through the hassle with your sister and getting a code from her?  I have Nord and a Schwab account. I never need to get a code from them. Did you specifically ask for it this way?  

Nord VPN allows  you to look like you are in the US at the area where your website is. 

But even if you are in the US often websites will send a text message to verify your identity. 

Some other websites have the option for email , or verify your identify in other ways,  such as asking you answers to questions they have on file.

I cover all bases. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/14/2024 at 11:40 AM, KhunHeineken said:

This is why I set up a VPN to my router back in my home country.  It looks like I am still in my house access banking, streaming etc, but I could be anywhere in the world.   

 

I VPN via my Synology Diskstation in the UK. That way it uses a UK IP address which I need to login to two business websites that geo block anything from outside the UK.

If using a popular VPN provider (such Nord, Surfshark etc.) the banks may well see a large number of connections from the same VPN IP address or range which could trigger a block. If using an IP address that is dedicated to you, then they cannot tell whether or not it's a VPN. Nord VPN are now offering dedicated IP addresses for a monthly fee.

 

Edited by soi3eddie
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, sirineou said:

Nord VPN allows  you to look like you are in the US at the area where your website is. 

But even if you are in the US often websites will send a text message to verify your identity. 

Some other websites have the option for email , or verify your identify in other ways,  such as asking you answers to questions they have on file.

I cover all bases. 

I have that problem with Capital One when I'm here in Thailand but when I want to access that I just switch my Thai SIM card with my USA Sim Card ( I'm not sure how that works with I phone 14 which doesn't take SIM cards , that's why I have I phone 13) then I can get the code myself and log in. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.




×
×
  • Create New...