Robert Jenrick’s Vision for Tory Unity: A Possible Return for Boris Johnson?

Social Media

It will be fun watching this unfold from Thailand, the best thing they can come up with is the return of Boris, pathetic.

Put the lot against the nearest wall alongside all the career money grabbing politicians on both sides of the house, then maybe G.B. stands a chance.

There was a chance of change back in 2017, but the establishment soon put a stop to any of that.

8 hours ago, Social Media said:

image.png

In the ongoing Conservative leadership contest, Robert Jenrick has made it clear that he would be "delighted" to have Boris Johnson in his shadow cabinet if he were to win the race. Jenrick, the former immigration minister, believes that the Conservative Party needs to bring its best talent to the forefront if it hopes to become an effective Opposition and eventually regain power.

Jenrick’s endorsement of a possible return for Johnson highlights his belief that the Conservatives must capitalize on the strengths of their most prominent figures. Despite Johnson’s controversial exit from Number 10 in July 2022, Jenrick sees the former prime minister as a valuable asset. Johnson was forced out after the Chris Pincher scandal triggered a wave of resignations within his government. Later, Johnson resigned as an MP for Uxbridge and South Ruislip after a Commons inquiry concluded that he had misled Parliament over the notorious partygate affair.

When asked about the prospect of including Johnson in his top team, Jenrick expressed his openness to the idea. "I think what we need are the best people who are available in the Conservative family to be on the pitch, supporting us to be a strong Opposition, holding Keir Starmer to account for all of the failings that we already see, and ultimately winning the next general election," Jenrick told The Telegraph. He added that he would be "delighted" to have Johnson involved if the former prime minister wished to return to frontline politics.

Boris Johnson, for his part, has consistently denied any wrongdoing in connection with the Downing Street parties. He has accused the Commons of conducting a "witch hunt" against him. Although Johnson briefly considered a return to politics when Liz Truss's government collapsed, he ultimately decided not to pursue it, recognizing that he might struggle to unify the party.

Since stepping down, Johnson has been far from idle. He has amassed a significant fortune through speaking engagements and continues to write a column for the Daily Mail. Although he chose not to stand in the July general election, he has not ruled out a return to politics in the future, leaving the door open for another chapter in his political career.

Jenrick’s leadership bid comes after he resigned from his role as Rishi Sunak's immigration minister last year. He now faces stiff competition from other high-profile Conservatives, including Kemi Badenoch, James Cleverly, Dame Priti Patel, Mel Stride, and Tom Tugendhat. The winner of this contest will be tasked with the monumental challenge of uniting the Conservative Party, which has been fractured by internal conflicts and struggles to regain public support following its worst general election defeat in history.

A recent poll of 805 Tory party members conducted between August 2 and August 12 revealed James Cleverly as the most popular candidate, with 26% backing him. He is followed by Priti Patel with 20%, Kemi Badenoch with 14%, Tom Tugendhat with 11%, Robert Jenrick with 10%, and Mel Stride with 4%. However, previous surveys have produced different results, and a clear frontrunner has yet to emerge.

As the leadership contest progresses, Tory MPs will vote to narrow down the field of candidates. Once only two candidates remain, the final decision will be made by the Tory membership, who will cast their votes to determine the next leader of the Conservative Party. The outcome of this contest will not only decide the party’s future leadership but also its strategy in opposing the Labour government led by Keir Starmer and its chances of reclaiming power in the next general election.

Credit: Sky News  2024-08-24

news-logo-btm.jpg

Cigna Banner (500x100) (1).png

Get the ASEAN NOW daily NEWSLETTER - Click HERE to subscribe

I think they should come up with a new party: Clowns of UK. Truss and May might join. So they are 4 already. Mocking Rees is 5th. More to come🤗

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

One can only hope that Sunak has no place in any future conservative government or opposition.

Considering the clowns who came before him he did a pretty good job by comparison

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Social Media said:

image.png

In the ongoing Conservative leadership contest, Robert Jenrick has made it clear that he would be "delighted" to have Boris Johnson in his shadow cabinet if he were to win the race. Jenrick, the former immigration minister, believes that the Conservative Party needs to bring its best talent to the forefront if it hopes to become an effective Opposition and eventually regain power.

Jenrick’s endorsement of a possible return for Johnson highlights his belief that the Conservatives must capitalize on the strengths of their most prominent figures. Despite Johnson’s controversial exit from Number 10 in July 2022, Jenrick sees the former prime minister as a valuable asset. Johnson was forced out after the Chris Pincher scandal triggered a wave of resignations within his government. Later, Johnson resigned as an MP for Uxbridge and South Ruislip after a Commons inquiry concluded that he had misled Parliament over the notorious partygate affair.

When asked about the prospect of including Johnson in his top team, Jenrick expressed his openness to the idea. "I think what we need are the best people who are available in the Conservative family to be on the pitch, supporting us to be a strong Opposition, holding Keir Starmer to account for all of the failings that we already see, and ultimately winning the next general election," Jenrick told The Telegraph. He added that he would be "delighted" to have Johnson involved if the former prime minister wished to return to frontline politics.

Boris Johnson, for his part, has consistently denied any wrongdoing in connection with the Downing Street parties. He has accused the Commons of conducting a "witch hunt" against him. Although Johnson briefly considered a return to politics when Liz Truss's government collapsed, he ultimately decided not to pursue it, recognizing that he might struggle to unify the party.

Since stepping down, Johnson has been far from idle. He has amassed a significant fortune through speaking engagements and continues to write a column for the Daily Mail. Although he chose not to stand in the July general election, he has not ruled out a return to politics in the future, leaving the door open for another chapter in his political career.

Jenrick’s leadership bid comes after he resigned from his role as Rishi Sunak's immigration minister last year. He now faces stiff competition from other high-profile Conservatives, including Kemi Badenoch, James Cleverly, Dame Priti Patel, Mel Stride, and Tom Tugendhat. The winner of this contest will be tasked with the monumental challenge of uniting the Conservative Party, which has been fractured by internal conflicts and struggles to regain public support following its worst general election defeat in history.

A recent poll of 805 Tory party members conducted between August 2 and August 12 revealed James Cleverly as the most popular candidate, with 26% backing him. He is followed by Priti Patel with 20%, Kemi Badenoch with 14%, Tom Tugendhat with 11%, Robert Jenrick with 10%, and Mel Stride with 4%. However, previous surveys have produced different results, and a clear frontrunner has yet to emerge.

As the leadership contest progresses, Tory MPs will vote to narrow down the field of candidates. Once only two candidates remain, the final decision will be made by the Tory membership, who will cast their votes to determine the next leader of the Conservative Party. The outcome of this contest will not only decide the party’s future leadership but also its strategy in opposing the Labour government led by Keir Starmer and its chances of reclaiming power in the next general election.

Credit: Sky News  2024-08-24

news-logo-btm.jpg

Cigna Banner (500x100) (1).png

Get the ASEAN NOW daily NEWSLETTER - Click HERE to subscribe

Jenrick is toxic & power-hungry.

Hey, you never know Stranger Things in that can happen in politics. I mean look at Thailand the guys on the run for 15 years I really don’t try to arrest him. He comes back in his golf stream jet and less than a year. He’s running the whole show I’m thinking what’s next to return and where is the Red Bull kid and all this mess nobody knows who Red Bull kid is TIT

• Agree 1

Kemi will become leader, forget Boris.

She will have to somehow bring Reform back into the fold. Without this happening the Tories have no chance of ever being in govt again. Perhaps not a bad thing. Combined, Reform and Tories can beat Labour, but not divided.

Boris is a pro mass immigration, pro covid lockdown and pro net zero enthusiast.  The correct party for him is either the Labour party or the Green party.   The Tories will not get back in by repeating the mistakes of the past and they should look to recruit conservative candidates and do a better job of keeping non-conservatives out of the party.   

6 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

One can only hope that Sunak has no place in any future conservative government or opposition.

Factually, he is Leader of the Opposition. He will be until the Conservative Party selects its next leader. I'm not sure who I will vote for during the Leadership contest.

A no for Priti Patel; mainly because of what she did as Secretary of State for International Development, which revealed a dishonesty that made her unfit for any cabinet role.

No for Robert Jenrick; the man has no principles, despite being very capable.

No as well to Kemi Badenoch; I disagree with her views on the Equalities Act. If she dropped the anti-wokisms, I might not be too disappointed if she became leader. Though like Jenrick, I wonder if her principles are somewhat fluid.

James Cleverley; he's not too clever, but is good at delivering a message, and at least is part of the centrist part of the Tories.

Mel Stride will be lucky to hold onto his seat at the next election; I frankly don't know enough about him, beyond that he might be a safe pair of hands, which is all we need right now during a period in opposition, that I think will last 1.5 parliaments.

Tom Tugendhat; intellectually, I feel he will do well as PM Questions. Sir Keir certainly has a powerful intellect, as a top lawyer should have. Tugendhat was Intelligence Corps, firstly in Iraq with the Royal Marines as an Arabic-speaking office, and then Afghanistan, at the specific request of the FCO. There is more than a hint of secret squirrel about his service career. He would be equally analytical. I'm not sure he could be a Prime Minister, but  thats not going to be his role, vis a vie the Tories (more about rebuilding the party around  a set of decent principles, and persuading people to share those beliefs, rather than pandering). But many thought SKS wasn't cut out to be PM (despite a fine mind), but look what happened.

ftcms:6ad13a1a-9a8e-11e5-a5c1-ca5db4add7

What will expose labour will be not so much the policies from Sir Keir, but the factionalism of the Labour party, which voters will reject. Tjose who want Momentum Labour should have the courage of their convictions and set up their own party, and see how that fairs. Conservatives take heed. The sooner some Tory MPs decide where their party loyalties lie, the better.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, deadbeat said:

Kemi will become leader, forget Boris.

She will have to somehow bring Reform back into the fold. Without this happening the Tories have no chance of ever being in govt again. Perhaps not a bad thing. Combined, Reform and Tories can beat Labour, but not divided.

Do you seriously think 'Reform's' rabid racist rabble will actually welcome being 'taken into the fold' of Kemi Badenoch just because of her toxic rhetoric. She's black pal - no chance.

Jenrick (a Jew) won't get any support in Yorkshire.

His dad (obviously a Jew) was best friends with the Jewish owner of Israel Chemicals, a competitor to Sirius Minerals. Both companies were involved in mining the same mineral in North Yorkshire.

As a favour to his dad,  Jenrick  blocked a line of credit for Sirius causing them to collapse and wiping out 1000's of small investors life savings.

On 8/24/2024 at 6:25 PM, nglodnig said:

Considering the clowns who came before him he did a pretty good job by comparison

Perhaps by comparison to even worse, but that doesn't make him "good".

I'd put the electoral defeat as his responsibility.

Giving all the money to Ukraine instead of paying nurses and ambulance drivers a decent wage was a fundamental mistake.

On 8/24/2024 at 10:38 PM, MicroB said:

Factually, he is Leader of the Opposition.

He has been so invisible I thought he's run off and hidden somewhere. Must be embarrassing when facing the MPs he forced into opposition by going for an election too soon.

11 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Unless Farage takes over the Conservatives are finished. Their leadership contenders are a mix of chinless wonders and weak posh boys

You lot were saying the same in 1997, when slaphead William Hague became party leader following Blair's win. The ultimate posh boy, old Etonian and Pig head fancier, David Cameron, returned  them to power. Cameron entered Parliament after Blair's win, in 2000, following the Witney By-Election

If Farage takes over, then the Conservative and Unionist Party might well be finished.

There will be wilderness years of course, as the party reclaims its soul, which is not the bizarre Trotskyite-Faragist Party called Reform (don't forget, Lee Anderson's was Scargill's man one, and admired Tony Benn. A leopard never changes its spots).

The next Tory PM might not even be an MP right now. There will be by-elections; MPs die, cross the floor, resign (my money is on one of the Reform MPs forcing a by-election, mainly because they lack experience and don't have a party machine to help them in constituency duties. Lee Anderson is most likely to put foot in mouth, based on prior form. James Murdock looks spectacularly inexperienced. Richard Tice could cite the impossible demands of both Parliament and business life). A Tory win in a Reform seat isn't going to produce a touchy feely type of MP. Instead look at one of the older Tories in a safe seat, coughing his/her last.

• Agree 1

13 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

He has been so invisible I thought he's run off and hidden somewhere. Must be embarrassing when facing the MPs he forced into opposition by going for an election too soon.

Its been Summer Break. There is no Parliamentary Business. Outside of Parliament, the Leader of the Opposition has no role.

I think if the election had been left to the autumn, the outcome would have been much the same, maybe even worse from a Conservative point of view (I am a paid up Conservative Party Member). The general expectation is that by November, the period of disinflation will have fallen, and inflation will be kicking back in, due to a number of factors, structural and non-structural. He needed a decent turnout, which is more likely on a lovely July summers day, than a grey and miserable November.

For MPs not in government, being on the government or opposition benches doesn't make a lot of difference. They get paid the same, they will still sit on and chair various parliamentary committees, thereby directly influencing government policy.

July 24 PMQ before the break

His role outside of Parliament is as a Constituency MP. In the British system, the PM is the First Among Equals. All are Members of Parliament, with responsibilities to their constituents. My own seat switched from Tory to Labour. I had many conversations with the previous incumbant about how NHS X can enhance the COVID response, which lead to discussion with the Health Minister. Currently, I am having an excellent discussion with the current MP about VAT on school fees. I don't think she agrees with me, but I am hoping I am painting cases for her, to allow her to take pause and raise questions.

53 minutes ago, MicroB said:

You lot were saying the same in 1997, when slaphead William Hague became party leader following Blair's win. The ultimate posh boy, old Etonian and Pig head fancier, David Cameron, returned  them to power. Cameron entered Parliament after Blair's win, in 2000, following the Witney By-Election

If Farage takes over, then the Conservative and Unionist Party might well be finished.

There will be wilderness years of course, as the party reclaims its soul, which is not the bizarre Trotskyite-Faragist Party called Reform (don't forget, Lee Anderson's was Scargill's man one, and admired Tony Benn. A leopard never changes its spots).

The next Tory PM might not even be an MP right now. There will be by-elections; MPs die, cross the floor, resign (my money is on one of the Reform MPs forcing a by-election, mainly because they lack experience and don't have a party machine to help them in constituency duties. Lee Anderson is most likely to put foot in mouth, based on prior form. James Murdock looks spectacularly inexperienced. Richard Tice could cite the impossible demands of both Parliament and business life). A Tory win in a Reform seat isn't going to produce a touchy feely type of MP. Instead look at one of the older Tories in a safe seat, coughing his/her last.

I've been listening to the Conservative leader candidates doing their pitch and it's cringeworthy, Richard Tice sounds much better than all of them, not to mention Farage who goes up another level

3 hours ago, stupidfarang said:

Not Boris, had enough of his lies the first time around, and Truss, omg... deport her to the USA pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

I don't think that deportation will be necessary as Truss will probably depart for the US under her steam: There appears to be a bigger market for her crackpot ideas in the US than the UK.

• Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

I've been listening to the Conservative leader candidates doing their pitch and it's cringeworthy, Richard Tice sounds much better than all of them, not to mention Farage who goes up another level

How can you hear all the candidates doing their pitch? Their "pitch" isn't due until the Party conference on 29th September, with a final ballot on the 10th October. No Pitches have made, only announcements of candidacies. At worst, you are making things up, at best, your are a non-native English speaker who doesn't understand English nuance, and is mistaking media interviews with pitches first to Westminister colleagues, in private meeting rooms, and finally pitches to the Party membership at Conference (and only 2 of them will do such a pitch).

2 hours ago, MicroB said:

How can you hear all the candidates doing their pitch? Their "pitch" isn't due until the Party conference on 29th September, with a final ballot on the 10th October. No Pitches have made, only announcements of candidacies. At worst, you are making things up, at best, your are a non-native English speaker who doesn't understand English nuance, and is mistaking media interviews with pitches first to Westminister colleagues, in private meeting rooms, and finally pitches to the Party membership at Conference (and only 2 of them will do such a pitch).

You seem a bit backward, the candidates have been on Talk Radio giving their spill

On 8/26/2024 at 4:42 PM, stupidfarang said:

Not Boris, had enough of his lies the first time around, and Truss, omg... deport her to the USA pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

I think Truss is ruled out:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/article/2024/aug/27/liz-truss-considered-cutting-nhs-cancer-care-to-pay-for-tax-cuts-claims-new-book

Life imitating art it seems

• Haha 1

On 8/27/2024 at 3:37 AM, scubascuba3 said:

You seem a bit backward, the candidates have been on Talk Radio giving their spill

Interviews on fringe radio are not pitches to the Westminster Party. I would wait until the Party Conference before deciding who you want to vote for, However, you need to be a member of 3 months standing before you get a vote. Not enough time now if you haven't paid your £2 PW dues.