I'm planning to stay in Thailand over 6 months. Would Thai government try to tax me?

5 minutes ago, Chivas said:

Playing devils advocate (and having proof of origin of  cash funds) if I or anybody depart the UK and bring say £5,000 hard cash into Thailand how on earth is that going to be taxed  if I stay 181 days

Am not advocating tax evasion as such. This legislation is so full of holes

Nobody's taxing you on 5k of cash.

But lets say you bought large amounts of cash in on a regular basis and went to one of the surrounding countries twice a week for a year and then attempted to change it all into Baht - how are you going to do that without raising an eyebrow?

When you change money they ask for your passport for a reason and it all goes into a computer.

I knew a couple of guys who were successfully attempting to convert a lot of illicit funds from GBP into Euro in England until the day when they were confronted about all their other transactions at diffferent branches around the region - it's all tracked, and this was more than 15 years ago.

At this point it becomes laundering and tax evasion which is highly illegal and something to be avoided at all costs.

Edited by ukrules
  • Like 1

Unless you have ties here just don't pay. If they push the issue the worst that would happen is you would have to leave the country, as long as you don't have an account here. So have a plan B.

Edited by JimTripper
  • Confused 3
  • Agree 2

1 minute ago, novacova said:

Oh please, stop the tax fear mongering. The op has nothing to be concerned about unless they are generating income in TH.

I have no interest in the op or his circumstances, I was answering a question raised by another poster....if you would but bother to read the thread!

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

7 minutes ago, chiang mai said:

I have no interest in the op or his circumstances, I was answering a question raised by another poster....if you would but bother to read the thread!

This thread has been moved to business finance forum that has extensive tax discussion.

By accident i did not post link to change.

Move to there to continue your input. 

5 minutes ago, bob smith said:

I will leave these three words for you to digest at your leisure :

LACK OF ENFORCEMENT.

bob.

I'm not aware of any enforcement on 90 day reports or TM30's but nearly everyone does them!

• Confused 5
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, chiang mai said:

The worst that would happen is the person will be fined and potentially sent to jail. The idea that a person can just leave the country to escape taxes that are due is laughable. If the TRD has determined taxes are owed, they are payable immediately and the person will be prevented from leaving until they are paid.

I think that's only if you are a citizen. If you are just on a visa I think they can only deport. I could be wrong though. If it happened in the USA I think you would just get deported if you were not a citizen of the country. Again, I'm not a lawyer, just my opinion.

Edited by JimTripper

1 minute ago, JimTripper said:

I think that's only if you are a citizen. If you are just on a visa I think they can only deport. I could be wrong though. If it happened in the USA I think you would just get deported if you were not a citizen of the country. Again, I'm not a lawyer, just my opinion.

I'm not aware of any instances of Thai Tax Law or the Legal Code where the law is varied based on nationality.

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, chiang mai said:

I'm not aware of any enforcement on 90 day reports or TM30's but nearly everyone does them!

What is your point 

TM30 is required for change of address.

TM47 is required if staying longer than 90 days in Thailand.

What  bit don't you understand 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, chiang mai said:

I'm not aware of any instances of Thai Tax Law or the Legal Code where the law is varied based on nationality.

Agreed.

But if this is a one-off trip, and OP doesn't have a bank account or condo, I wouldn't worry too much. 

If, however,  he plans to spend more and more time here, possibly settle down in a couple of years,   he may sooner or later meet the TRD - a d then a clean start would be good.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Chivas said:

Right so where does the entry level actually start ??

Do we know for sure that 5K won't be taxed? I thought someone just brought that up as a example.