I'm planning to stay in Thailand over 6 months. Would Thai government try to tax me?

3 hours ago, Yumthai said:

People who are able to remit THB6M/year certainly meet the requirements to apply for a LTR visa and be legally tax exempted on all their foreign remittances, if they choose to do so.

So, they do something about taxes.

Not sitting on the fence and wait and see

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, khunPer said:

Being snowbird from the Northern hemisphere should not enforce income tax, as a stay will be split over two tax-years

Only the first time    (duh!)

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

55 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

Which is another way of saying you can't provide a link. I thought that might be the case.

No skin off my nose, what you believe or think, or how you want to appear to forum members as a consequence of the things you believe.

• Confused 2

2 hours ago, motdaeng said:

sorry, but that's not correct.

staying january to march and from oktober to december in the same year results in more than 180 days in a tax year ... snowbirds need to stay under 180 days if they like to avoid any tax issues .

Yes, if you repeat being a snowbird with a total stay for more 180+ days within a calendar year.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

As is usual on this forum,  certain topics , provoke certain members , to promote themselves to the level of "expert"    Often based on whatever work they did back home  prior to their retirement. 

Its not  surprising, when one considers the age of many who frequent this forum   its only to be expected that some retirees in the autumn years of their lives might feel the need to appear "relevant" once again, by dishing out  well meant  ( but inaccurate ) advice, 

Then there are  those who despite knowing even less about this subject,  delight in spreading  panic  and posting speculative , scaremongering, rubbish  with no basis in fact.

Finally lets not forget about the all dubious  "professionals"  only too keen to offer  their  totally unessessary services   for a generous fee  to those shaking in thier boots with fear

Astonishingly some people appear to have actually acted on the "advice" handed out by these charlatans, and  reports of people visiting tax offices, only to be sent packing, tells us all we need to know about how seriously the authorities are taking this matter. 

Would   anybody on this forum who  found themselves  in trouble with the police,  seriously  seek , take , or  act on any advice dished out by an annonymous sttanger claiming to be a  retired police officer from a western country ?    I sincerely hope not    

Intended, i suspect, to come across as perceptive and worldly wise, it only made me wonder how you managed to become so jaded.

• Sad 2
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Jumbo1968 said:

All ifs and buts but no decision has been made how to track foreigners  who don’t earn a living in Thailand like retirees and don’t have a TIN. 

I would be extremely surprised to learn that the TRD intended to track foreigners period.

From my dated and limited professional interactions with HMRC years ago,....no wait, I can't tell you that otherwise I risk appearing relevant or scaremongering or any of the things that some people accuse others of, when they say something, damn and blast!  Oh what the heck, I'll say it any way..........

Revenue Departments don't need to track people when all they have to do is watch transactions and look at the reporting done by banks. When they see transactions that make them curious, they simply ask questions.  Years ago I imported funds to buy a condo and BOT called me to ask what I was doing, that wasn't supposed to be part of the process and it wasn't written down anywhere, but they called nevertheless. 7 mill for a condo in the North was a lot of money back then so somebody decided to check, so I told them I was retired etc etc. Of course, when you've got Immigration....no wait, I can't say that, that's scaremongering, damn again. What I can safely say (I hope) is that it's an increasingly joined up electronic world which makes trying to do things discretely, difficult at times.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, chiang mai said:

I would be extremely surprised to learn that the TRD intended to track foreigners period.

From my dated and limited professional interactions with HMRC years ago,....no wait, I can't tell you that otherwise I risk appearing relevant or scaremongering or any of the things that some people accuse others of, when they say something, damn and blast!  Oh what the heck, I'll say it any way..........

Revenue Departments don't need to track people when all they have to do is watch transactions and look at the reporting done by banks. When they see transactions that make them curious, they simply ask questions.  Years ago I imported funds to buy a condo and BOT called me to ask what I was doing, that wasn't supposed to be part of the process and it wasn't written down anywhere, but they called nevertheless. 7 mill for a condo in the North was a lot of money back then so somebody decided to check, so I told them I was retired etc etc. Of course, when you've got Immigration....no wait, I can't say that, that's scaremongering, damn again. What I can safely say (I hope) is that it's an increasingly joined up electronic world which makes trying to do things discretely, difficult at times.

Where are they going to get all the staff to chase up the 3 plus million expats retired or working in Thailand ?

• Haha 2

17 minutes ago, Jumbo1968 said:

Where are they going to get all the staff to chase up the 3 plus million expats retired or working in Thailand ?

and anybody else who stays 180 days or more in a year

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

it hasn't stopped you and others quoting various fictional  possibly unpleasant yet conflicting  scenarios though has it  for example in your case 

"..if you don't file, you don't get a visa and you have to leave, that sort of thing"    and then...

" If the TRD has determined taxes are owed, they are payable immediately and the person will be prevented from leaving until they are paid."

So do the rest of us uninformed mere mortals  need to prepare  for detention or deportation ?   or should we prepare for both, just to be on the safe side?

There is a big difference between advising somebody and relaying the facts, I'm pretty sure that what I have done is to relay the facts/law/rules as I understand them.

As far as whatifery is concerned: This is a social media discussion forum, I think members are well within their rights to hypothesise and offer opinion based on fact. If that sort of extrapolation of information leaves some people feeling uncomfortable I have to wonder why. It has been said many times by numerous posters over the past nine months that tax clearance certificates appear probable at some point in the future, failure to provide one would hinder the visa extension process, that's perfectly logical. Fictional? Yes. Probable? Yes also!

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Lorry said:

So, they do something about taxes.

Not sitting on the fence and wait and see

I suspect everybody would make a move to continue living their life - untaxed - as usual, unfortunately most of the people do not meet the financial requirements to do so.

12 minutes ago, chiang mai said:

There is a big difference between advising somebody and relaying the facts, I'm pretty sure that what I have done is to relay the facts/law/rules as I understand them.

As far as whatifery is concerned: This is a social media discussion forum, I think members are well within their rights to hypothesise and offer opinion based on fact. If that sort of extrapolation of information leaves some people feeling uncomfortable I have to wonder why. It has been said many times by numerous posters over the past nine months that tax clearance certificates appear probable at some point in the future, failure to provide one would hinder the visa extension process, that's perfectly logical. Fictional? Yes. Probable? Yes also!

People  being told by others that they are going to suffer either a heavy tax bill or some draconian punishment  are feeling uncomfortable , and you have to wonder why ?     I would have thought it was glaringly obvious

Again most of  what has been said by the various posters on this subject over the past 9 months has been totally  irrelevant ,  

• Like 1
  • Sad 3
  • Agree 1

9 minutes ago, chiang mai said:

Whatever makes you feel comfortable.....I get that you don't like anyone talking about tax and providing information, presumably because it scares you. I get also that you think anyone who knows more than you about Thai tax is a bad guy with no scruples or morals and is thoroughly untrustworthy. Sorry I can't help you.

No need to apologise I didn't  request your assistance,   you must be confusing me with somebody else,    

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Jumbo1968 said:

Care to disclose where your figure of 3 plus million expats comes from .........or are you including all the Myanmar, Lao, Cambodian workers as well...

I have a feeling it is substantially less as last figure I saw for "expats" was about 9 to 10 times less..........If so hyperbole much.......:coffee1:

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 8/23/2024 at 7:35 PM, Chivas said:

Playing devils advocate (and having proof of origin of  cash funds) if I or anybody depart the UK and bring say £5,000 hard cash into Thailand how on earth is that going to be taxed  if I stay 181 days

It won't be.

Neither will the OP be.

5 pages and counting...

6 hours ago, Yumthai said:

It's possible not probable. Or can you bring facts/evidences that prove there's > 50% chance that such event happens?

Nope, there's no evidence other than the logic of it all. Any move to tax non-Thai's is a huge step change that can't be only partially done. The only way to ensure full compliance is via the visa process and Immigration. If it makes you happier I can agree to to a word other than probable, not that it changes much that's meaningful.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, chiang mai said:

Nope, there's no evidence other than the logic of it all. Any move to tax non-Thai's is a huge step change that can't be only partially done. The only way to ensure full compliance is via the visa process and Immigration. If it makes you happier I can agree to to a word other than probable, not that it changes much that's meaningful.

Your western logic is irrelevant in Thailand.

I agree that the only way tax could be strictly enforced onto foreigners is through Immigration... but then what about locals?

What would makes me happier is that I could distinguish facts from opinions when reading you because it gets confusing at times, and yes words have sense.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Yumthai said:

Your western logic is irrelevant in Thailand.

I agree that the only way tax could be strictly enforced onto foreigners is through Immigration... but then what about locals?

What would makes me happier is that I could distinguish facts from opinions when reading you because it gets confusing at times, and yes words have sense.

Does this discussion really care about locals, their tax system has been in place for decades and they deal with it, in their own way. It's foreigners that are the new kids on the block.

I didn't understand what reference you were using when you wrote vis vie fact and opinion. If you have concerns on that score, please feel free to ask me to clarify, any time.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, chiang mai said:

Does this discussion really care about locals, their tax system has been in place for decades and they deal with it, in their own way. It's foreigners that are the new kids on the block.

As you mentioned earlier Tax rules apply the same way onto locals and foreigners.

Hence, there can't be two sets of tax enforcement. That would be blatant discrimination leading, in my opinion, to foreign exodus.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

So, some bored members have wasted 3 pages of comments predicting Thai Logic.  Why? Those who that have been consistently successful are not Known by Name.

What is Known is Revenue Department follows info and orders available on the website.  They have a number and date like order 161 2023 or order 162 2023. This is helpful, useful, verifiable info to share.

The Double Tax Treaty is usually in digital PDF Form.

There are Page Numbers for documents which are sometimes  different than the PDF page number so provide Both.  The section and paragraph and "Quote the Tax Agreement", then your supporting interpretation.

STOP, WASTING the limit time we have left posting info, comments, beliefs that have little value and are Not helpful to many others.

DEBATE Out of the comments section, DIRECTLY with someone you want to discuss your  opinions or beliefs that have No BENEFIT to others who read to be educated, informed, prepared and seek guidance and help.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1