Have any of you felt lost in Thailand at some point in your adventure living here?

andux

On 8/23/2024 at 8:20 PM, andux said:

On the other hand, my life here is probably much better than it could be anywhere else, especially in terms of quality/cost ratio.

Sounds like the 'problem' is all in your mind.

I've always kept it simple - if I don't like a job/place/girlfriend etc., then I change/move/break up etc.

Carpe Diem. That doesn't preclude careers or marriages.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, BusyB said:

Sounds like the 'problem' is all in your mind.

I've always kept it simple - if I don't like a job/place/girlfriend etc., then I change/move/break up etc.

Carpe Diem. That doesn't preclude careers or marriages.

Happiness is all internal.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 8/24/2024 at 9:05 AM, BangkokReady said:

Safety is one of these types who has their self-esteem/ego pegged to their image of Thailand, so he can't allow himself to believe anything negative about the place.

you are an excellent judge of character ...

• Thanks 1

On 8/24/2024 at 1:08 AM, renaissanc said:

"Retarius":  If you live in a city, such as Pattaya or Bangkok, for example, you live in a low-energy vibration environment, so it will be very difficult to feel vibrantly alive and happy in your heart centre.

If you go to bars, you will pick up the low-energy vibration of the environment (including the people) there.

If you watch television, ditto.

I realise that expats don't usually believe in the science of energy, but nevertheless, it's real, and we pick up the vibration of our environment and of the people we meet ...  and they bring us down or, if we're lucky, they raise us up.

Ideally, you should move out into the countryside where the vibration is much higher. But I'll assume you feel you can't do that. So, I recommend heart energy meditations (www.heartmath.org) and live with one of the highest vibrational animals around, cats. Get 2 or more from a cat rescue centre. You'll receive unconditional love every day and that's a high vibration!

Finally, change your friends and avoid people with a low vibration. 

My older brother believed in something called "pyramid power" in the 1970's.  

On 8/24/2024 at 1:20 AM, andux said:

I've been here for around 10 years. The first 8 were great, these last 2 I've been a bit lost.

I have become increasingly worried about the lack of stability, the visa situation, and other restrictions like the inability to start a business. I'm starting to get annoyed by 90-day reports, extensions, re-entry permits, etc. and the overall inability to make proper long-term plans. Yes, I know, I'm getting old 😆.

On the other hand, my life here is probably much better than it could be anywhere else, especially in terms of quality/cost ratio. Very safe overall too; I don't know too many places in the West where one can go for a stroll at 3am, leave phones on coffee shop tables unattended, etc. Plus a thousand other things that I love about this country.

If I moved to my home country I could enjoy more stability, freedom, and rights (and could even continue speaking Thai often since many Thai people own shops there), but at the same time I'd spend much more money on living costs and wouldn't enjoy the same level of safety --generally speaking.

So, I'm having a hard time figuring out what would be better for me in the long run.

I think I'm in a similar boat but Thailand has so much to offer I refuse to leave permanently.

However, I've decided to leave during the absurdly HOT season between Mar-Jun. EVERY SINGLE YEAR. 

On 8/24/2024 at 9:08 AM, renaissanc said:

Ideally, you should move out into the countryside where the vibration is much higher. But I'll assume you feel you can't do that. So, I recommend heart energy meditations (www.heartmath.org) and live with one of the highest vibrational animals around, cats. Get 2 or more from a cat rescue centre. You'll receive unconditional love every day and that's a high vibration!

Thank you for this.

I'll try it. I believe it's a good addition to my other group's membership:

https://theflatearthsociety.org/home/index.php

On 8/24/2024 at 8:28 AM, Lacessit said:

If one is polite to others in this country, it usually gets reciprocated. There is the occasional rude idiot, just walk away.

I have been retired here for over ten years. I have never had any fear for my personal safety, with the exception of Thai roads. It's axiomatic Thais have very poor driving skills.

I have never doubted my decision to live here. When I go to my home country, with its suffocating rules, and high cost of living, I can't wait to get back.

Agreed. Two months ago I returned to the usa for

two months to close out my affairs there and prep my house for sale.

I've been here nearly 6

years since getting a retirement visa. In that time I've been with a wonderful Thai woman, bought a house, gotten a dog, and abandoned any pirsuits or ambitions other that enjoying my life.

The USA is chaos unbridled, a nation so polarized and a society so different than the wonderful life I led since being born in 1949 that it is unappealing and unrecognizable. I retired and left two weeks after a lunatic was elected president in 2016, just by coincidence.

It's ironic that I'm doubling down on the eve of another tumultuous election involving the same madman. Regardless of the outcome, life there is going to be tense and tortuous for months or years to come.

After only 3 weeks there I knew I had to escape for good and never return. I have no plans to ever see friends or family again.

The tradeoffs I've made to live here are well worth the cost I paid; I have no regrets.

• Like 1