Anyone else tired of being followed around malls?

3 hours ago, BangkokReady said:

And yes, if someone believes that seeing an occasional "drunken foreigner does something stupid" article means it's ok to assume that all foreigners are thieves, they're probably a racist too.

I see you regularly replying to my comments looking for an argument, trying to get under my skin but I never see you antagonizing or similar to the many Thai bashers. 

Have a good look at yourself, who's the racist?

It's time for you to get a hobby, sitting behind the keyboard annoying others is childlike. 

Now, let's get back on topic. 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST

Just now, SAFETY FIRST said:

I see you regularly replying to my comments looking for an argument, trying to get under my skin but I never see you antagonizing or similar to the many Thai bashers. 

Have a good look at yourself, who's the racist?

fight. fight. fight. fight!

On 8/24/2024 at 10:37 PM, Chris Daley said:

1724513382129.jpg.cf7c7b6f2799caf1e136e7a4f4da524f.jpg1724513287221.jpg.8813f5fb206ff2b944e9f5ab46548724.jpg1724513378011.jpg.e6f5e9eac8ab5b7ad1f6e04bd5eb019c.jpg

I went Robinsons yesterday and was looking at the stalls.  A little insect-like man in a uniform sideways walked up to me and took a photo of me.  The stall had piles of cheap plastic crap on it.  Plastic bracelets, kids toys, soft toys, plastic lizards.  For some reason he though he was about to foil a heist.

How about you?  Do you get followed by security in Thailand.

Maybe he just wanted to offer you advice on how to construct legible sentences. 

Edited by Spamhead
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I'm not responsible for your interpretation of what I wrote.

You're responsible for what the thing that you wrote means. I wasn't giving my interpretation.

I was trying to be light-hearted about your error. 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 8/27/2024 at 11:53 AM, NanLaew said:

How long do you spend pushing YOUR cart around at Big C? I pretty much have the short-list in my head (or more often written on a Post-It), and knowing what I want and where it is, I am in and out fast.

I also limit Big C excursions to mid-morning, Mon-Fri as where I live, weekends tend to be full of hillbillies and their brood schlepping around, elbows on an empty cart, lapping up the air conditioning (and bumping into people). Also, going in too early gets you in amongst the old farangs whose pension check has just dropped, filling up on Cornflakes and whatever's on the yellow-label, near-expiration date stand, giving you the stink-eye.

Don't know; never timed it.

On 8/25/2024 at 4:52 AM, bkk6060 said:

It is the draconian philosophy of some security companies here.  They instruct their personnel to take photos of everything.

They do seem to fixate on older white foreigners.  Do they have a history of catching these people stealing, or is it racism? 

It's racism. They are trying to make foreigners uncomfortable while they are shopping. They are not allowed to interfere like small shop owners do by talking, standing in the way and distracting, so they just follow obviously and closely.

Edited by JimTripper

On 8/25/2024 at 4:52 AM, bkk6060 said:

It is the draconian philosophy of some security companies here.  They instruct their personnel to take photos of everything.

They do seem to fixate on older white foreigners.  Do they have a history of catching these people stealing, or is it racism? 

Since I don't fit this demographic of an "older white foreigner", I guess I will just have to take your word for it regarding your fixated "racism" call.

Usually I am completely ignored. In Thailand I feel nothing but privilege and advantage

I have not been followed around a store since I was a teen *generally sus

Try being non-white in the US.  If I sit in a restaurant and am not greeted or offered a menu within 10 minutes I leave.

On 8/25/2024 at 4:21 AM, SAFETY FIRST said:

Blame the badly behaved foreigner for your lack of freedom. 

"

Recently I read a thread on AN forum regarding a foreigner spitting on a guy in Makro.

Would I get in trouble if I returned the assault by punching him several times?"

People like you you mean?

25 minutes ago, Captain Monday said:

Usually I am completely ignored. In Thailand I feel nothing but privilege and advantage

I have not been followed around a store since I was a teen *generally sus

Try being non-white in the US.  If I sit in a restaurant and am not greeted or offered a menu within 10 minutes I leave.

Completely ignored in Thailand or you're ignoring it? Almost every shop I pass calls me in and follows me around while I'm in there. What planet do you live on?

51 minutes ago, JimTripper said:

Completely ignored in Thailand or you're ignoring it? Almost every shop I pass calls me in and follows me around while I'm in there. What planet do you live on?

Not security? Sure, Siam TV, stores with sales people especially hardwares stores, Home Pro, 5 ladies following me around. 

The answer to any inquiry “Mai Mee”

Like the chorus in a Greek tragedy

1724513382129.jpg.cf7c7b6f2799caf1e136e7a4f4da524f.jpg1724513287221.jpg.8813f5fb206ff2b944e9f5ab46548724.jpg1724513378011.jpg.e6f5e9eac8ab5b7ad1f6e04bd5eb019c.jpg

I went Robinsons yesterday and was looking at the stalls.  A little insect-like man in a uniform sideways walked up to me and took a photo of me.  The stall had piles of cheap plastic crap on it.  Plastic bracelets, kids toys, soft toys, plastic lizards.  For some reason he though he was about to foil a heist.

How about you?  Do you get followed by security in Thailand.

So take a photo of him... follow him for a while. See how he likes it.

Do you get followed by security in Thailand.

yep.

I have been followed by many security guards.

I just stare them down till they go away.

They are a complete nuisance! 

bob.

Edited by bob smith
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Captain Monday said:

Not security? Sure, Siam TV, stores with sales people especially hardwares stores, Home Pro, 5 ladies following me around. 

It's not "sales people" and "girls following you around". They are watching you so you don't steal. Need to look under the surface a bit.

• Haha 2

Why is it every time I go into Global House there is half a dozen smiling staff trying to sell me a toaster at the entrance and when I’m trying to find something in the plumbing aisle and make eye contact with a staffer they disappear?… :coffee1:

2 hours ago, bigt3116 said:

Recently I read a thread on AN forum regarding a foreigner spitting on a guy in Makro.

Would I get in trouble if I returned the assault by punching him several times?"

People like you you mean?

I don't understand your hostile comment but if you spat on me I would punch you in the face.

It's only fair, idiots and crazy people need to be taught a lesson. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, JimTripper said:

It's not "sales people" and "girls following you around". They are watching you so you don't steal. Need to look under the surface a bit.

No wonder

These “Mai Mee” sirens know nothing about their products or stock. If I every ask when they will be getting more of something the answer is always 「two weeks」

Next day there will be plenty

I always enjoy how if I ask for something specific, like a GU10 bulb for a range hood, and they have none they will instead offer something completely unrelated, as if that would be helpful.

Just the Thai way of avoiding ever straight saying “no” ?

14 hours ago, Captain Monday said:

I have to laugh at the chip on your shoulder and the complete lack of understanding of how shopping in Home Pro and Thaiwatsadu etc works in Thailand.

I have been regularly especially when building a house in Rayong with my Thai partner, they followed us as they wanted to help us with what we were looking for instead of strolling around for hours looking for what we wanted.

We even took the mobile number of one of the girl assistants and used it to order what we wanted for the day and she had it all loaded onto a trolley by the time we got there.

Try and understand that Thai culture is all about service.

Even now when I go to the local Home Pro there is always someone there to ask us if we need help, we say we want this that, and the other and they take us to each section, you buy and then that is that, nice and easy and quick.

Maybe you have a guilty conscience. 😃

14 minutes ago, JamesPhuket10 said:

I still feel guilt about the candy I stole once from a store in the first grade of grammar school. Probably could benefit from therapy

No way I would ever steal anything again. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Captain Monday said:

No wonder

These “Mai Mee” sirens know nothing about their products or stock. If I every ask when they will be getting more of something the answer is always 「two weeks」

Next day there will be plenty

I always enjoy how if I ask for something specific, like a GU10 bulb for a range hood, and they have none they will instead offer something completely unrelated, as if that would be helpful.

Just the Thai way of avoiding ever straight saying “no” ?

Lots of people simply don't understand what you're saying. They know a certain set of greetings and words that makes them appear to understand you, but the rest is jibberish. They just make up responses to avoid embarrasment. I never buy what they recommend anymore, it's often wrong. When I shop without "help" it's always correct. Go figure 🤷🏻‍♂️.

4 hours ago, JamesPhuket10 said:

I have to laugh at the chip on your shoulder and the complete lack of understanding of how shopping in Home Pro and Thaiwatsadu etc works in Thailand.

I have been regularly especially when building a house in Rayong with my Thai partner, they followed us as they wanted to help us with what we were looking for instead of strolling around for hours looking for what we wanted.

We even took the mobile number of one of the girl assistants and used it to order what we wanted for the day and she had it all loaded onto a trolley by the time we got there.

Try and understand that Thai culture is all about service.

Even now when I go to the local Home Pro there is always someone there to ask us if we need help, we say we want this that, and the other and they take us to each section, you buy and then that is that, nice and easy and quick.

That gives me the creeps. I don't like people "hovering" around me when I want to browse. It feels needy and weird. I wish they would go away.

Edited by JimTripper

22 hours ago, JimTripper said:

Lots of people simply don't understand what you're saying. They know a certain set of greetings and words that makes them appear to understand you, but the rest is jibberish. They just make up responses to avoid embarrasment. I never buy what they recommend anymore, it's often wrong. When I shop without "help" it's always correct. Go figure 🤷🏻‍♂️.

That gives me the creeps. I don't like people "hovering" around me when I want to browse. It feels needy and weird. I wish they would go away.

An easy solution.

Do as I do when I am just browsing and do not need their help, just smile, say "I look around by myself, Kop Khun mark clap", they then leave you alone as their job is done. 

2 hours ago, JamesPhuket10 said:

An easy solution.

Do as I do when I am just browsing and do not need their help, just smile, say "I look around by myself, Kop Khun mark clap", they then leave you alone as their job is done. 

I should get a shirt with that printed on it.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, mokwit said:

The only problem I have ever had being followed in malls is from gaggles of University girls whispering "falang law" to each other.

And then you wake up, look in the mirror and say, "yep, of course it was a dream". 😃

When I am dressed like a tourist (t shirts-shorts), I have the security fellows who try to discreetly stalk me at some malls in Bangkok like Central. The girlies hardly look up or plainly change lanes on seeing me approach in my Sports bar attire🤣

But..but when I am dressed like a hi-so Thai (linen pants, well cut linen shirt), quite often I get more female looks and it's the gold diggers who start to hoover around with the usual little smiles and grins. Of course, I politely smile back and then just ignore them as I do not want to end up like so many other falangs totally sucked out of their ca$h and what ever else that's there to cum !

• Sad 1

34 minutes ago, Middle Aged Grouch said:

When I am dressed like a tourist (t shirts-shorts), I have the security fellows who try to discreetly stalk me at some malls in Bangkok like Central. The girlies hardly look up or plainly change lanes on seeing me approach in my Sports bar attire🤣

But..but when I am dressed like a hi-so Thai (linen pants, well cut linen shirt), quite often I get more female looks and it's the gold diggers who start to hoover around with the usual little smiles and grins. Of course, I politely smile back and then just ignore them as I do not want to end up like so many other falangs totally sucked out of their ca$h and what ever else that's there to cum !

You don't wear deodorant or shave your pits when you wear the linen shirts. We can see your body hair. You need a shave, man.