Adding flavor concentrates to cannabis oil?

Posted (edited)

UPDATE: I just mixed up a new 10 ML batch of the oil by adding both the banana and the vanilla flavor extracts I mentioned earlier. Here are the two extracts I'm using:

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/29-mccormick-banana-flavor-29-ml-i2848411769-s10393012251.html

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/29-mccormick-pure-vanilla-extract-29-ml-i2848863947-s10394162182.html

I must say, I'm really pleased with the result. One can definitely still taste the cannabis flavor, which is what I wanted, but you also have that creamy accent from the vanilla and the tanginess and smell from the banana.

After you swallow it, the slight aftertaste of the vanilla comes out too in a good way. Since my oil has a slightly naturally burnt flavor from the infusion process, I would say that, now that it has some creamy and tangy flavors added into the mix, that the slightly burnt flavor adds to it further by giving it a bit of a woodsy accent on top. It almost tastes a bit like an aperitif. 

It seems like a really good mix. A lot better than I had expected. There is no sweetness to it either because no sugar has been added, which is great, as I didn't want to end up with something that tastes at all like a confection.

I ended up putting in a total of 16 Drops of Banana and 19 Drops of Vanilla into 10 ML of oil. So that's 35 drops total. Right around 0.875 ML of flavoring. So that's about 8.75% of added flavor. 

One might wonder why I'm counting the drops so carefully, but these are extract concentrates that are very strong. So nearly every drop counts. I originally started by adding equal amounts of the banana and vanilla (16 drops each), but the banana flavor seemed a bit stronger than the vanilla, even though I had added equal amounts of the two. But since I wanted to taste an equal amount of each flavoring, I added 3 more drops of the vanilla and that's just about perfect now. 

The flavors I added are definitely still just an enhancement that changes the flavor profile a bit and I don't think they are something that anyone would find to be too strong or unappealing. And it certainly makes the flavor of the oil more palatable if you want to swish it around in your mouth and hold it under your tongue for one minute before swallowing it for that added sublingual absorption effect. 

One can also play around with the ratios a bit more to their liking, but I would say that I feel like I've got it nearly just right now.

Next batch I might try using 14 Drops Banana and 18 Drops Vanilla and see how that works, but (at this point) it probably won't make that much difference. And any small tweaks to the mixture I'm using now and I'm probably just splitting hairs. But a few less drops total would drop the total amount of added flavor down to 8%, which is worth trying. 

In conclusion, you can almost call this an edible in it's own right rather than it just being a typical cannabis infused oil. 

If anyone else is a cannabis oil user, and decides to experiment with these two flavors, then I would be very interested to hear about your own personal results too. 

Edited by Hokeus
  • Like 2