Landslide Buries Workers Inside High-Speed Rail Tunnel Construction in Nakhon Ratchasima

20 hours ago, Georgealbert said:

The 3 persons reported missing are ;

1. Mr. Hu Siang Min, male, Chinese nationality (supervisor);

2. Mr. Dong Chin Lin, male, Chinese nationality, backhoe driver;

3. Unknown Burmese worker, truck driver.

Mr. Pasan Sawatburi, Senior Vice President of the construction company, said that the company has not yet received a report of the exact cause and is currently conducting an inspection of the area. The tunnel work is under Contract 3-2, Muak Lek and Lam Takhong Tunnel, a distance of 12.23 kilometers. As of July 2024, the company has completed construction at 74% of the tunnel.

Picture below shows the planned tunnel route.

IMG_4813.jpeg

Will this be known as one of the chinese Tofu tunnels

3 hours ago, Edwin Cameron said:

Chinese workmanship is abyssmal. go anywhere in China and you will see not so old buildings falling apart,NO B.S. they are corrupt and cut corners or use inferior products, so I'm not surprised this is happening,belt and road...Phoooey..!

However overall, Chinese high speed rail has an exemplary safety record[135]: 70  and according to The New York Times, the Chinese high-speed rail network is "one of the world’s safest transportation systems."[136] As of at least 2024, the Wenzhou crash remains the only serious accident in the massive Chinese HSR network.[135]: 70 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-speed_rail_in_China#:~:text=However overall%2C Chinese high speed,the massive Chinese HSR network.

13 minutes ago, Nicholas Paul KNIGHT said:

I am sure there is a reason, but WHY are they not using a tunnel boring machine . These days far simpler 

The cost of the machine makes it unsuitable for this type of project.

It is not clear if this tunnel is just being dug out or being blasted with explosives, which is common in both tunnel construction and underground mining access.

The tunnel from the pictures, seems to be using metal framing to support the walls and roof, with concrete, probably shotcrete over that.

What is not clear, is if the missing workers were in an area which had the walls and roof secured, or were under unsupported ground (just soil which had been dug out). Working under unsupported ground is extremely risky.

I would guess that this collapse was brought on by geological changes, build up of underground water, brought on by recent rains, and the tunnel planning/working was based on old survey data, without it being updated.

The rescue plans, seems fairly standard, first locate where the missing are expected to be, try to establish communication with them, provide them with access to supply fresh air, food and water, then workout a way to extract them safely

• Like 2

Chinese construction projects have a bad reputation. They are called "Tofu Construction". If Chinese specifications are being used, good luck to anyone using the train system.

Edited by renaissanc
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, Iron Tongue said:

Looky, looky.

Hey guys!

Remember that recent discussion about Chinese posting on AE, and I wrote that they always pose as white folks, and used names like "Joe in Australia" to try and blend in?

Chin Bad!®

1 hour ago, Aussie999 said:

Using your logic, most Thais, Chinese, Japanese, Indians,Burmese, etc are all atheists, well done, you have label almost half the world's population... How did we atheists survive, for so long...

God knows.................................:cheesy:

20 hours ago, Artisi said:

Don't think too hard, I'll give you a few clues to start with : road systems, bridges, tunnel, high-rise buildings - that should save you at least 1 year of thinking. 

1 hour ago, Aussie999 said:

Using your logic, most Thais, Chinese, Japanese, Indians,Burmese, etc are all atheists, well done, you have label almost half the world's population... How did we atheists survive, for so long...

How could you forget fireworks? The rest of your list is stuff they copied,  which they are great at! 

It was a HUGE mistake going with China instead of Japan on their rail project. China is definitely up and coming, but why on earth go with them when the massive infrastructure that they've been building is crumbling at a rapid rate. The international media hardly lets it see the light of day and of course, it's even mostly censored within China. But they are constantly having buildings crumble, bridges collapse, and roads deteriorate rapidly. I think they will very soon be doing much higher quality work, but I wouldn't trust them with this project AT ALL until they have a better track record of projects that last. They've built a lot of really nice stuff, but their track record is still poor. Whereas the Japanese have decades of proven incredible excellence with their construction and in particular their high speed rail. I wasn't surprised when Thailand went with China. It was obvious for many reasons - one of which is, China is the very place brown envelopes are manufactured to begin with! lol It was a stupendously foolish decision to go with China over Japan.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

Latest information reports that despite signs of life being detected around 04:30 on August 26, further attempts to locate the workers proved unsuccessful. Efforts now include the deployment of K9 search dogs, along with scanning equipment, to aid in the search.

Earlier video from today of the USAR team at the incident site.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Taboo2 said:

May I suggest they talk to the Swiss Engineers...they are experts at this type of work.

Too expensive. Won't cut corners and can't be bought.

In 2003, China’s Minister of Railways, Liu Zhijun, took charge of plans to build seventy-five hundred miles of high-speed railway—more than could be found in the rest of the world combined.

To complete the first route by 2008, Minister Liu, whose ambition and flamboyance earned him the nickname Great Leap Liu, drove his crews and engineers to work in shifts around the clock, laying track, revising blueprints, and boring tunnels. “To achieve a great leap,” he liked to say, “a generation must be sacrificed.” (Some colleagues called him Lunatic Liu.) 

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2012/10/22/boss-rail

In April 2013, Liu was arrested on corruption charges for taking over 64 million yuan in bribes and abusing his power as Minister of Railways. He was convicted and received a death sentence with reprieve in July 2013. On 14 December 2015, Liu Zhijun's sentence was statutorily commuted to life imprisonment.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liu_Zhijun

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, kwaussie said:

China has a space station and builds lots of warfare, dont forget the submarine! 

All of which is junk and/or data copied/stolen to the nth degree. They get on with things, but always massive corner cutting and safety issues. They could not care less.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sig said:

It was a HUGE mistake going with China instead of Japan on their rail project. China is definitely up and coming, but why on earth go with them when the massive infrastructure that they've been building is crumbling at a rapid rate. The international media hardly lets it see the light of day and of course, it's even mostly censored within China. But they are constantly having buildings crumble, bridges collapse, and roads deteriorate rapidly. I think they will very soon be doing much higher quality work, but I wouldn't trust them with this project AT ALL until they have a better track record of projects that last. They've built a lot of really nice stuff, but their track record is still poor. Whereas the Japanese have decades of proven incredible excellence with their construction and in particular their high speed rail. I wasn't surprised when Thailand went with China. It was obvious for many reasons - one of which is, China is the very place brown envelopes are manufactured to begin with! lol It was a stupendously foolish decision to go with China over Japan.

Because of graft, overall cost, big brown envelopes and political pressure.

• Agree 1

56 minutes ago, bamnutsak said:

In April 2013, Liu was arrested on corruption charges for taking over 64 million yuan in bribes and abusing his power as Minister of Railways. He was convicted and received a death sentence

So you're saying corruption is good and should not be punished?

• Confused 1