Can you do same day in and out when doing plane flight border runs?

17 hours ago, Jack1988 said:

why show cash money? And it's not just 1000 bht! To me is only make people get annoyed with all these useless rules

Feel free to not show any money if asked to. Also please tell them your opinion and how you want them to work. After that, please work all your life as a foreigner in Thailand trying to change the rules. Good Luck!

22 hours ago, wisemonkey said:

Just got the bad news that the closest border run for Chiang Mai, the (Chiang Khong - Huay Xai) border is now requiring a 2 night stay in Laos, despite this not being the law, its being enforced.

My question is, now that border run chews up 3 days and costs around 5500 THB (Visa run agents 2500, Visa 2000, and cheap accoomodation 1000), I may as well just do a flight to Malaysia Kuala Lumpar and can come back the same day for less money. Is this allowed? Or do you get pulled up for going in and out the same day? Im thinking it shouldnt be an issue, given people going for business meetings etc, just wanting to ensure Im not going to get a surprise trying to come back in. 

Just fly to Vietnam and back 

• Sad 1

10 hours ago, Liquorice said:

To cover any immediate expenses, taxis, hotel, food, drink.
They don't accept a banking app.

Theoretically untrue - AOT taxi / Grab etc, Hotel, Most food and drink outlets and supermarkets all accept digital payment... 

... Besides IF someone has money in their Thai account, they can just go to an ATM airside. 

The requirement to show 'Cash Funds' is antiquated and stupid - its a legacy of past policies which have not been updated. Like many 'requirements' its rather non-sensical, nevertheless, its a requirements, so we must ensure our bases are covered.

• Agree 1

Likewise never understood this urgency to get back same day or overnight

I'll have to do my first ever run this coming Winter at the 90 day mark and wherever I go Manila Cambodia or Da Nang will be going for a week

36 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Theoretically untrue - AOT taxi / Grab etc, Hotel, Most food and drink outlets and supermarkets all accept digital payment... 

You mean debit/credit cards or Apps from 93 different Countries entitled to 60 day VE entries. There is a reason it's cash.

40 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

... Besides IF someone has money in their Thai account, they can just go to an ATM airside. 

Except the ATM's are after Immigration in arrivals.

• Thumbs Up 1

56 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

The requirement to show 'Cash Funds' is antiquated and stupid - its a legacy of past policies which have not been updated. Like many 'requirements' its rather non-sensical, nevertheless, its a requirements, so we must ensure our bases are covered.

if i say like you they delete my reply. Funny

1 hour ago, Chivas said:

I'll have to do my first ever run this coming Winter at the 90 day mark and wherever I go Manila Cambodia or Da Nang will be going for a week

just be careful everytime you go to take money at any atms! Always use a local currency, otherwise you will be overcharged with fees! I have 2 free commissions withdrawal a month, by the way

Edited by Jack1988
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Liquorice said:
1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

You mean debit/credit cards or Apps from 93 different Countries entitled to 60 day VE entries. There is a reason it's cash.

I mean the Banking Apps ( assuming that Jack1988 meant Thai Apps - which was in reference to the initial question: Quoted here: 

On 8/26/2024 at 8:33 PM, Jack1988 said:

why bring all that cash money? I would just show my bank account application on my phone if they might ask

Regardless - time have changed so much now... it hardly matters where our money is... we can use an app to gain quick access / payment - Apple Money / Wise / Revolut / SCB Planet / HSBC Global Money etc...   the need to actually carry money is becoming less and less.

On a recent journey, I carried the equivalent of 40,000 baht in cash (in local currency), on the last day of the holiday I had to make sure I payed everything in cash (not digital) so I wasn't stuck with the currency as I'd been using ApplePay (tied to Wise with a local currency wallet) to pay for everything up to that point.

It 'could' be the same here - there is no need to show cash anymore... 

But I'm sure there is an immigration requirement to be able to show proof of funds if request - and thus 'physical cash' us unambiguous, is simple, removes any doubt etc... I'm just surprised the amount is so small. 

35 minutes ago, Liquorice said:

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

Except the ATM's are after Immigration in arrivals.

(yeah - I meant land side)...    

It is one of the 'silly issues' that exists at Thai Airports (many Airports) that ATM's in local currency do not exist Airside on Landing - this would resolve a lot of issues. 

I'm sure its not a security issue - because they can top up duty free etc... so there's no reasons why ATM's couldn't be placed there - its one of those things.

Anyway - I like to carry about US$1000 just incase things go wrong. 

So while I like digital payments and find it a lot more convenient, cash is a good back-up, thus I find traveling with a major currency back-up important.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Jack1988 said:

why my posts are not correct? Isn't the truth that all these requirements are useless?

Thats not the truth...  The truth is that 'you think they are useless'...    the reality is there may be a perfectly valid reason Immigration wants these regulations to remain....

I don't know what that might be, but as Liquorish pointed out - are we going to show cards and apps from the 60 different countries entitled to 60 day VE entries... and that could well be the reason it's cash.... 

10 minutes ago, Jack1988 said:

And I repeat once again, my friend has just showed money from his thai bank application and the immigration officer said ok! Up to you if you think i give false info. I won't waste my time

Then there was some miscommunication, or your friend was lucky - he either had a very flexible Imm officer who did not know the regulation, or, this was not a requirement anyway and in showing the 'bank app' your friend was adding a completely superfluous layer to proceedings....   

That matters little as your point is moot - IF asked by an immigration officer on V.E. Entry to Thailand to shoe proof of funds, you have to show cash...  That is the regulation and the experience of your friend does not change that - thus, the information you are presenting is ultimately incorrect from the perspective that others may take advice from it.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

That is the regulation and the experience of your friend does not change that - thus, the information you are presenting is ultimately incorrect from the perspective that others may take advice from it.

On 2017 i was asked by an officer if i have money, i just answered yes of course and he let me in. But yes, i give incorrect info lol. Maybe i'm dreaming or i'm drunk

4 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

That matters little as your point is moot - IF asked by an immigration officer on V.E. Entry to Thailand to shoe proof of funds, you have to show cash...  That is the regulation and the experience of your friend does not change that - thus, the information you are presenting is ultimately incorrect from the perspective that others may take advice from it

Exactly.

Showing funds is rarely asked for.

In most cases it's down to back to back visa exempt entries via air..

Some would suggest it's a ploy to refuse entry.

There is ZERO option to show a bank app or whatever.

CASH.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Jack1988 said:

On 2017 i was asked by an officer if i have money, i just answered yes of course and he let me in. But yes, i give incorrect info lol. Maybe i'm dreaming or i'm drunk

Completely irrelevant.

Many folk have been asked to show funds. Granted rare. Down to history in Thailand back to back visa exempt via air.

Suggest you research threads

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Who cares. It happens.

No one is interested in your experience.

So off topic. 

I can post threads of issues with same day bounce via air.

Address the OP. 

Along with several requesting funds

Exactly - I did a 'same day bounce by air' about 20 years ago. 

Thai Airways to Singapore, departed BKK, landed in SG, passed through immigration, checked-in again, back through immigration, back on plane - same cabin crew recognised me !!...  

But - that was 20 years ago - I didnt even offer that the experience was possible now as that anecdotal information is dated - I have no first or reliable second information that a 'same day bounce by air' is permissible now. 

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

The logic behind your comments remains fundamentally flawed as you are only pretending individual anecdote - thats the equivalent to someone suggesting that seatbelts are not needed as they have never been in a car accident.

your opinion is irrelevant to me

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

If the requirement is to show proof of funds and my SCB app shows 600k at point of entry with my name clearly displayed then I fail to see how a decline notice over funds could possibly be listed as the reason !

I get the hard cash bit but even in Thailand some common sense has to prevail

I've just drawn out £500 yesterday here just in case

I have never ever seen someone in any immigration queues asked to go into their bag and produce cash. Has anyone else here !

Edited by Chivas

1 hour ago, Chivas said:

If the requirement is to show proof of funds and my SCB app shows 600k at point of entry with my name clearly displayed then I fail to see how a decline notice over funds could possibly be listed as the reason !

I have never ever seen someone in any immigration queues asked to go into their bag and produce cash. Has anyone else here !

One would need to be in the room where they take people for "additional questioning" to see the cash-demand - and in many cases, they don't ask, and deny for "lack of funds," regardless. 

And, if they want to deny someone entry, they would waive-away the offer of a bank-book (reported here before), and stamp "lack of funds" as the reason for denial in the victim's passport, and there is nothing one can do about it. 

If one is coming in frequently / staying awhile as a tourist, they are in the "Permitted to extract tribute," category - and will use immigration's agent, or suffer the above experience.  Usually, there is a warning first, in hopes the "mark" gets the message.

Edited by Rob Browder
  • Like 1

On 8/26/2024 at 5:50 PM, wisemonkey said:

I got a son and need to get back to him, single Dad. Usually Im on the Non-Imm O for family visitation for him, visitation used loosely ofcourse as Im the sole carer his Mum is in USA now, but anyway Ive reached the end of that visa and thought with the new rule was going to be easy getting in and out, but looks like its not going to be as straight forward as I had hoped. This will be the first time Im doing an in and out via plane, so hopefully if they do pull me up can give me a warning not to do again, and in mean time Ill get the visa agents to fix me up with a solid visa again. 

just get a parental visa.. for peace of mind...  my 80 year old mom did an out in via KL and on her return was BURNED by IO that took old people out of the line, with some french dude and others... TO GET A BRIBE or tell them to fly back to home country... I was at the airport but they only pretended to call me, never got a call, that i could explain why she did an out/in, to be with family a bit longer after COVID SCAM not being to travel for 2+ years or was it 3...

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

12 hours ago, Rob Browder said:

One would need to be in the room where they take people for "additional questioning" to see the cash-demand - and in many cases, they don't ask, and deny for "lack of funds," regardless. 

Yet another internet myth repeated so often it becomes an internet fact instead

• Confused 1

I find it amazing that people can fly out and back in to Thailand on the same day on visa exempt.

Paying to fly somewhere you had no intention of staying so that your exit and entry stamp will be on the same day is basically showing proof to the IO that you have serious ties/must be living in Thailand as you can't stay out 1 day, therefor are not a legitimate visa exempt tourist

Edited by Pattaya57
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Pattaya57 said:

I find it amazing that people can fly out and back in to Thailand on the same day on visa exempt.

Paying to fly somewhere you had no intention of staying so that your exit and entry stamp will be on the same day is basically showing proof to the IO that you have serious ties/must be living in Thailand as you can't stay out 1 day, therefor are not a legitimate visa exempt tourist

No.  Even snowbirds do this, and they spend most of the year in another country.  As to "legitimate" - is a made up word when used like this.  There is no stated "how long can one be a tourist" in Thai law.  If the foreigners are not working here, and spending foreign-earned capital into the Thai economy, they are quite "legitimately beneficial" to Thailand, and should be welcomed.   Ideally, instead of this silly border-game, based around Thai rules, they could just go to immigration and pay maybe 5K for 90-days at a time = "win win" for everyone. 

20 hours ago, Jack1988 said:
20 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

The logic behind your comments remains fundamentally flawed as you are only pretending individual anecdote - thats the equivalent to someone suggesting that seatbelts are not needed as they have never been in a car accident.

your opinion is irrelevant to me

Its relevant to the thread - in that it highlights to anyone foolish enough to be paying attention to your comments that they are the worthless, pointless musings of someone who truly has no concept of providing a valuable response when a question that matters is asked. 

In this example: It clearly matters to the Op that he finds the best solution to his 'visa and border bounce woes'....    you have unnecessarily muddied the waters and therein lies the relevance of calling out your posts as rubbish, though I initially took your comments at face value, answered them with the understanding that you maybe intelligent enough to subsequently recognise the irrelevance.... you didn't, and instead continued to 'make noise'.... 

• Agree 1

20 hours ago, Chivas said:

Because the requirement is 'cash'...   (either Thai Baht or monetary equivalent)... 

Your understanding of why is not required or even necessary.

Until the regulations change, your ability to be able to respond to the request and show 'cash' or monetary equivalent) IF entering Visa Exempt and IF asked, is the only thing that is necessary.

20 hours ago, Chivas said:

No, I have never seen this, yet I'm aware of the requirement.

As I am also aware of the requirement to also ensure I can present my boarding pass upon entry.

There have been reports on here of people being asked to show funds, there have been reports on here of people being rejected entry without funds, there are reports on here of people being rejected entry and the reason given 'that they have insufficient funds' (even though they did but were never asked etc)....  

As far as the why etc....   the possible reasons have been discussed earlier in the thread from the perspective of having an interest in why or attempting to understand a certain logic etc...  but other than that, questions of why etc, are moot - the requirement is what it is.

6 hours ago, Chivas said:
19 hours ago, Rob Browder said:

Yet another internet myth repeated so often it becomes an internet fact instead

Incorrect...   over recent years there have been enough reports on this forum alone of folks both being asked to prove sufficient funds.

& how hard is it to withdraw US$600 (or equivalent) just to ensure you have your options fully covered ?

Just now, richard_smith237 said:

Incorrect...   over recent years there have been enough reports on this forum alone of folks both being asked to prove sufficient funds.

& how hard is it to withdraw US$600 (or equivalent) just to ensure you have your options fully covered ?

If he had $600 he likely would be out getting hammered, not on here moaning. 

3 hours ago, Rob Browder said:

No.  Even snowbirds do this, and they spend most of the year in another country.  As to "legitimate" - is a made up word when used like this.  There is no stated "how long can one be a tourist" in Thai law. 

Agreed...  But those options already exist no ?

- Non-Imm O - Retirement (seasoned 800,000 baht)

- Non-Imm O - Marriage (seasoned 400,000 baht)

- Non-Imm O- Parent of a Thai Child (400,000 baht on the day)

Thus: Anyone younger than 50, unmarried to a Thai, without a Thai child etc may have questionable reasons for being here when it comes to 'working in Thailand'... 

Thus - requirements are based around this, if 'we' worked for immigration I'm sure some of our members would like to see more strict requirements !!!

If the foreigners are not working here, and spending foreign-earned capital into the Thai economy, they are quite "legitimately beneficial" to Thailand, and should be welcomed.  

I'd agree, but aren't there visa's for that too ? Thai Elite, Investment Visa etc ?

Ideally, instead of this silly border-game, based around Thai rules, they could just go to immigration and pay maybe 5K for 90-days at a time = "win win" for everyone. 

They could, but then wouldn't that be abused by everyone working here long term and just paying 5k for 90 days at a time ?