Making a single story house into a two storey house.

Some people have bought a single story house in my village and are ripping everything out .

It appears they intend to make it 'two storys.

The main part of the village has only single story homes and just a few 2 story houses where the land area is bigger.

Can they legally do this?..

app 200 houses in the village [ Darkside Pattaya ].

• Haha 1

Just my experience when I used a CAD program to draw up Pattaya 2 storey house extension. 

I submitted the new plans (in person) to the Pattaya Engineering Department, they are always busy, I did find out that I can't build an opening window within 2m of the boundry fence. 

Depending on your location and if you do it quietly and don't upset many neibours you can construct renovations. 

So for my area of Pattaya City, there have been so many building modification, so just go ahead, but may not be acceptable in newer moo bans.

1 hour ago, carlyai said:

Just my experience when I used a CAD program to draw up Pattaya 2 storey house extension. 

I submitted the new plans (in person) to the Pattaya Engineering Department, they are always busy, I did find out that I can't build an opening window within 2m of the boundry fence. 

Depending on your location and if you do it quietly and don't upset many neibours you can construct renovations. 

So for my area of Pattaya City, there have been so many building modification, so just go ahead, but may not be acceptable in newer moo bans.

Thanks for the info re 'opening window'..

It depends on zoning laws, everywhere is different. Usually color coded into red, orange, yellow and green with a few extra codes.

Just go and ask at the tetsabaan office. 

Then if your neighbor is building illegally you can snitch on him while you are there. 

1 hour ago, MalcolmB said:

It depends on zoning laws, everywhere is different. Usually color coded into red, orange, yellow and green with a few extra codes.

Just go and ask at the tetsabaan office. 

Then if your neighbor is building illegally you can snitch on him while you are there. 

This is Pattaya related, so I think you have to go to City Hall Pattaya or Muan Pattaya. To engineering section. If they have time they can draw up your plans for anything (or could).

It's difficult complaining about another person/building that is close to your dwelling. You both have to live there.

2 hours ago, KannikaP said:

Would the foundations and existing walls be adequate to take all the extra weight?

legal or not that would me my main concern too. Do the have weight bearing pilons? My house has about 24, it is a new house less than 2 yrs old, and I can still see many cracks arising.

had i no pilons it surely would have collapsed. 

the thing with renovating 'legally' seems to be that if the same lay out is used there is no problem and no need for permit. but if the lay out changes then that is a whole new kettle of fish. a guy i know bought 2 adjacent houses and linked them by building a whole new area between the 2 making it a single house. he knows it is illegal but said he will wait till they catch him. 

I dont know if grandfather rights exist if it is done and no one ever catches them... it might be ok..

risky venture in many ways... I wouldnt have the cash to gamble either way

2 hours ago, Pouatchee said:

legal or not that would me my main concern too. Do the have weight bearing pilons? My house has about 24, it is a new house less than 2 yrs old, and I can still see many cracks arising.

had i no pilons it surely would have collapsed. 

the thing with renovating 'legally' seems to be that if the same lay out is used there is no problem and no need for permit. but if the lay out changes then that is a whole new kettle of fish. a guy i know bought 2 adjacent houses and linked them by building a whole new area between the 2 making it a single house. he knows it is illegal but said he will wait till they catch him. 

I dont know if grandfather rights exist if it is done and no one ever catches them... it might be ok..

risky venture in many ways... I wouldnt have the cash to gamble either way

Most houses here are all built on pylons, which support the roof and upper floors.

The walls are non-loadbearing but still are laid onto concrete foundations in the ground.

In the first 2 years of my 12 year old house, some minor cracks appeared, which were rectified by the builder who put it down to 'settlement'. Correctly. No further problems.

19 hours ago, p414 said:

Some people have bought a single story house in my village and are ripping everything out .

The main part of the village has only single story homes and just a few 2 story houses where the land area is bigger.

Whats it to you?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, itsari said:

Often plans are not submitted.

Then the renovation would be deemed illegal 

Thai builder said plans get drawn up to satisfy city hall then when building just move it to where you want, it would appear after the plans are stamped there are no follow up inspections.

On 8/26/2024 at 5:07 PM, p414 said:

When I bought my first house it was off the plan, the housing estate was new and development for mixed, single and double storey. 

I found the plot I wanted, it was allocated for single storey, I wanted double storey. The builder told me that he had to look at the piers /foundations before he could approve the sale. 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, KannikaP said:

Would the foundations and existing walls be adequate to take all the extra weight?

The many posts you see in a Thai build run onto footings underground, reinforced lintels here and there along with posts take the weight, at least in AU modern day footings will support a second story  if a single story was first built, I would assume its the same here.