Now travelling overseas every 50 days, keep getting Retirement Extensions?

I have always renewed my Non O 12 month extensions to stay based on retirement but the TGF and I are now travelling abroad approximately every 50 days. The new 60 day visa means I don’t need to bother renewing my Ret Extensions, so just wondering if I can expect any problems down the track if I ditch doing the yearly retirement extensions until if and when Thailand ever changes their 60 day visas on arrival back to 30 days?

Edit: I'm not looking for any suggestions for another type of visa, instead just want to know if I can expect problems with immigration by continually leaving and arriving every 50 days.

Edited by Nemises
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

If you switch to using tourists visas, there is always a chance that you could 'hit the rocks' somewhere down the line and no one can predict whether or when that might happen.

The retirement extension on the other means that your virtually  bomb proof and also if the requirements for extensions where to change, you would be 'grandfathered'. If I were you I'd stick with the extension. It's cheap (even with the multi entry stamp) and reliable.

Thanks ML, I hear ya loud and clear, but if and when I hit the rocks, I will  grab a ret ext again.

Yes of course, they are cheap and reliable but just wondering why bother doing ret ext's (and assoc. paperwork)  if not needed.

• Agree 1

10 minutes ago, Nemises said:

Thanks ML, I hear ya loud and clear, but if and when I hit the rocks, I will  grab a ret ext again.

Yes and not difficult.

Plenty of threads outlining process from visa exempt entry to non O retirement and subsequent extension.

So in that sense you are not burning bridges.

The extension retirement is bullet proof.

Pity that multi entry non O retirement is difficult to obtain now. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

When I first came to Thailand I was traveling a Lot (new to world of travel).

Lived in Bangkok but out/back to Thailand every month

In those days you could obtain triple entry TV to Thailand. 

Eventually the io at Saigon Thai consulate stated...." No more tourist visa for you. You live Thailand and over 50. Get retirement visa" 

In recent years even some oil gas workers getting hassled using visa exempt entries.

If the funds in the bank is the issue you could consider agent.

Stick with extensions retirement imo. 

Thanks, and agree that eventually I will  get hassled (minor problem) as apposed to refused entry (disaster!). When hassle day arrives I'll start doing the extensions again. Money isn't the issue, the issue is why bother doing something that isn't required whilst the 60 day stamps are being handed out.

Edited by Nemises
  • Confused 2
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Nemises said:

Money isn't the issue, the issue is why bother doing something that isn't required, yet.

Again just one person's opinion.

I think the 60 days is a temporary change. 

Otherwise the visa options would need to change.

As it stands currently a SETV is redundant.

Extensions based on retirement are straight forward especially if you just lock away 800k in an FD account.

Far less paperwork than extensions marriage. 

• Agree 2

3 hours ago, Nemises said:

I have always renewed my Non O 12 month extensions to stay based on retirement but the TGF and I are now travelling abroad approximately every 50 days. The new 60 day visa means I don’t need to bother renewing my Ret Extensions, so just wondering if I can expect any problems down the track if I ditch doing the yearly retirement extensions until if and when Thailand ever changes their 60 day visas on arrival back to 30 days?

Edit: I'm not looking for any suggestions for another type of visa, instead just want to know if I can expect problems with immigration by continually leaving and arriving every 50 days.

Following the thread.. I'm also on retirement extension, but it is becoming a nuisance to be every year around the same time in Thailand to do another extension. It interferes with my travel plans. I'll look at the new 5 years visa when I have time, still 9 months until the next renewal.

4 minutes ago, gearbox said:

Following the thread.. I'm also on retirement extension, but it is becoming a nuisance to be every year around the same time in Thailand to do another extension. It interferes with my travel plans. I'll look at the new 5 years visa when I have time, still 9 months until the next renewal.

So it's due for renewal May/June 2025?

You obviously already have the financials in place. Exit without a re-entry permit, which will cancel any permission of stay.

Re-enter VE (60 days), then apply Non O (90 days) followed by annual extension again.

You've moved the annual renew date by 5 months.

The new 60 days  could revert back to 30 days after the six months. 

Personally in your case i would ditch the O visa. No future tax issues no re entry visa no 90 days and you can always revert back if they do change it. 

• Confused 4
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, jippytum said:

No future tax issues no re entry visa no 90 days and you can always revert back if they do change it. 

But potential mega-issues arising from reliance on strings of visa exemptions, though.

• Agree 2

6 hours ago, OJAS said:

But potential mega-issues arising from reliance on strings of visa exemptions, though.

Agree totally.

I like bullet proof options if available.

Especially if entering via air.

Apart from onward ticket required by airline immigration would/could be an issue. 

• Like 1

Just MY opinion.

I believe you will receive a Warning, before you are denied entry.  If entering via the airport, I believe if one official attempts to Deny entry on arrival you May have option to Find and Talk with another official who is more accommodating.

Additionally YOU would need to monitor Any changes to the 60 Day Visa on Arrival for Changes.

Lastly if you need to apply for Non-O and Extension of Stay the Baht in a Thai Bank Account or other financial qualification method will need to be in place.  Money in bank at correct amount for X months

On 8/27/2024 at 4:26 AM, Nemises said:

You say you'll leave thailand every 50 days but don't say how long you'll be out for as that could make a huge difference.

I travelled for 4 years on visa exempt doing 2 months in (30 days + 30 extension) and 2 months out without any problems. I was pretty confident only back to back entries may be a problem.

I finally got the non-imm O in April with 12 month extension in July but if I knew they were going to 60 day visa exempt I would have just kept doing exempt entries increasing to 3 months in and 2 months out.

Edited by Pattaya57

You don't talk about the cost for a multiple re-entry permit if you continue to use a retirement extension, a cost not required for the 60-day tourist visa.  The 60-day'r relieves you of any possible income tax obligation too.  That is unless using the 50-day approach total for a calendar year is 180 days.  What happens once they implement the addon cost of Thai-provided health insurance fee?  A lot if ifs. 

5 hours ago, fceligoj said:

You don't talk about the cost for a multiple re-entry permit if you continue to use a retirement extension, a cost not required for the 60-day tourist visa.  The 60-day'r relieves you of any possible income tax obligation too.  That is unless using the 50-day approach total for a calendar year is 180 days.  What happens once they implement the addon cost of Thai-provided health insurance fee?  A lot if ifs. 

The type of visa is irrelevant for taxes - only how many days you spend in the country per calendar-year - either under/over 180 days.

• Agree 1

On 8/27/2024 at 8:18 AM, gearbox said:

FWIW you can get your extension up to 45 days in advance at most Immigration Office & an Agent can help you get it up to 3 months in advance. 

Shouldn’t be too hard to plan a few days in Thailand within 3 months of your extension due date. 

Edited by Mike Teavee

4 hours ago, Johno57 said:

Yes married we live in Australia and want to visit her family for 5 and a half months every year...

If you are willing to limit it to about 5 months instead of 5.5, you can easily achieve that with a non-O marriage visa from your Thai embassy, and then the 60 day visiting Thai family extension based on on your spouse.  That's 150 days total with only one online application before you leave and one visit to immigration.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, BrandonJT said:

If you are willing to limit it to about 5 months instead of 5.5, you can easily achieve that with a non-O marriage visa from your Thai embassy, and then the 60 day visiting Thai family extension based on on your spouse

OP, this is a good suggestion.

If say 6 months is required then you could enter Thailand visa exempt and then obtain the non O at immigration followed by the 60 day extension. 

Assume you have a Thai bank account in your name only