Another Landslide in Phuket! Nine Houses Buried, Residents Flee in Panic

webfact

image.jpeg

Picture courtesy: Amarin TV

Another landslide has struck Phuket, burying nine houses under mud, water, and debris from the mountain with a thunderous noise like a lightning strike. Panicked residents fled for their lives, but fortunately, no one was injured.

At 5:30 a.m. on August 28, 2024, Police Lieutenant Colonel Sakon Krai-nara, Deputy Superintendent (Investigation) of Phuket City Police Station, received a report from the 191 emergency hotline about a landslide that had damaged several homes in Thep Buri Village (Ban Kuku) in Ratsada Sub-district, Mueang District. The police were asked to inspect the scene.

After receiving the report, the lieutenant immediately informed Police Colonel Prateuang Pholmana, Superintendent of Phuket City Police Station. He, along with officials from the Municipal Disaster Prevention and Mitigation Department of Ratsada Sub-district and staff from the Kusoldharm Foundation Phuket, rushed to the scene.

Upon arrival, they found residents, who were the homeowners and occupants of the affected village, standing outside their homes amidst continuous rain that had been falling for several hours.

A preliminary inspection revealed that nine two-story commercial buildings were damaged. Officers discovered that the soil at the back of the buildings was still making cracking noises. For safety reasons, the homeowners and residents were initially evacuated from the buildings as the saturated soil posed a risk of further landslides.

Mrs. Kanyarat Chakrawatee, 45, a homeowner who had just moved in 13 days earlier and was still settling in, recounted, "At around 5:00 a.m., we were all sleeping downstairs since we had just moved in. I heard a loud crash, so I turned on the light and saw water flowing from the kitchen. I tried to get everyone out, but the water kept coming because it was still raining. We were waiting to have the air conditioning installed upstairs, so we hadn't moved up there yet. The upstairs room was blocked by soil, so we couldn't open the door."

Mr. Nop, another homeowner, said, "Water from the mountain came crashing down, bringing soil and mud because there were no trees on the mountain. There used to be trees, but they were removed, so the soil couldn't retain water.

It's been almost a year since the trees were removed. My house is at the end of the alley. It was only slightly damaged on the roof, while other houses were more severely affected. I heard a loud noise at first and thought it was a lightning strike. When I came out to look, everyone was already standing at the entrance of the village."

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-08-28

news-footer-2.png

Get the ASEAN NOW daily NEWSLETTER - Click HERE to subscribe

• Sad 7

4 minutes ago, kuzmabruk said:

We will be like Samui soon.  Wall to wall houses on hillsides (Thais call them mountains)

Has happened already over the years but luckily not too big. So far !!!! 

28 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

Is the elevation restriction for development in Phuket still in effect?

I was about to ask the same question. Here in Sattahip there are strict laws banning building on hillsides at a certain level. But that law still seems to be broken occasionally. But then....

• Agree 1

33 minutes ago, Zack61 said:

geotechnical strategy was employed to mitigate the chances of a landslide

You’re kidding, right?

The only strategy employed was the “money flow regulation” to go exactly where they wanted: their own pockets…

52 minutes ago, Zack61 said:

For sure. Mother Nature doesn’t like being denuded. She can be a bitch if you treat her poorly. I’m not sure what geotechnical strategy was employed to mitigate the chances of a landslide but it obviously wasn’t enough. 

years ago on one of the islands south of Manila, with a port town with a river from the mountainside where they were logging, at about 2AM one morning in a storm, the cut logs had washed into the river  and clogged it up so it formed into a huge dam.  At that moment, the logs broke loose which allowed a WALL of water several meters tall to wash down the river and engulf the town.  I think the total deaths were somewhere between 5000 to 7500 but all were washed away!  Denuded mountains in heavy rains are known to have big landslides.  Just look around the world today!.

• Love It 1

21 minutes ago, 10baht said:

Let's be honest and blame it on global warming.555

Don't be delibertely facile - Untrammelled development is a factor and of course more intensive weather that is linked to global warming - it's a perfect storm.

What fool would buy a house next to or on a "mountain", especially in those areas where the trees have been removed.

I think gravity still works downwards😧

It has been raining more or less non-stop for the last few days in Kathu, very heavy rain, but in this gated housing complex not a single puddle on the private roads or the gardens/driveways etc due to a great drainage system (large private building company), it has been that way for the last fifteen years.

But go outside onto the public roads and here and there they fail and the drains overflow.

• Thumbs Up 1

13 minutes ago, ronster said:

Has happened already over the years but luckily not too big. So far !!!! 

At least Samui has trees and there are limits as to how high buildings can be. Phuket had no restrictions of which I am aware and the island has been largely denuded of trees for years.

3 minutes ago, Spock said:

At least Samui has trees and there are limits as to how high buildings can be. Phuket had no restrictions of which I am aware and the island has been largely denuded of trees for years.

There are limits but they are ignored if you look around and watch the news .

Plenty of trees on samui , but if you look at banrak , chaweng noi and all around area behind Makro lamai you will see all gone in the development areas. Just a matter of time before half the hill or property on them goes downwards.

• Thumbs Up 1

So the real question is who is at fault here? Is is the planning department, is it the department that issued a license to cut down the trees, or is it the officials who did not prevent the trees from being cut down? 

Phuket is a very rainy area it's notorious for having heavy rainfall so something like this could have and should have been easily anticipated. 

Why was it not foreseen?

Pure sloth?

Pure greed?

Or total negligence? 

• Like 1

I have many friends in Phuket, mostly Kata and Karon. They have / had beach side hotels etc. Often we’d look at the hills and they’d tut tut and say how all this building was very bad and accidents waiting to happen. This was in the 80s .

It was all jungle , nature is taking it back.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, JoePai said:

because there were no trees on the mountain

and the cause of the landslide is.....

24 minutes ago, ronster said:

There are limits but they are ignored if you look around and watch the news .

Plenty of trees on samui , but if you look at banrak , chaweng noi and all around area behind Makro lamai you will see all gone in the development areas. Just a matter of time before half the hill or property on them goes downwards.

Over qualified Administrators...nothing has worked properly for a long time an never will since the idiots took control. They need to get out before they really stuff up big time and create a major catastrophe.