Amorn Tukcom Basement R.I.P

johng

Amorn shops are struggling in most shopping centres,  usually located mostly in basements.  They were a good source for buying the unusual item or part.   

Their problem being their marketing identity,  they didn't know which way to go as building the Amorn brand,  they had bits and pieces of this and that but not a real solid brand of line of product ....  their products were too sketchy in building what they wanted to sell. 

Anybody know if the Bangkok branch of Amorn in Fortune Tower is still open?  It's always been in a location pretty far apart from the other electronic shops, far down the hallway.  I forget 3rd or 4th floor.   I used to browse there often, buying odds and ends but over the last 10 years the quality of what they sold started going downhill and became mostly cheap Chinese junk.  I would guess that the fairly sudden emergence of "Mr. DIY" stores everywhere, which carry a lot of the same stuff was the final nail.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, CallumWK said:

Amorn, once a good source for electronics, was dying for many years already.

I started calling it a grocery store, instead of an electronics shop, almost a decade ago.

But I have a feeling that the whole of Tukcom may shut down in the not so distant future

I agree their stock had been getting more and more thin for quite some time..

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, steven100 said:

Amorn shops are struggling in most shopping centres,  usually located mostly in basements.  They were a good source for buying the unusual item or part.   

Their problem being their marketing identity,  they didn't know which way to go as building the Amorn brand,  they had bits and pieces of this and that but not a real solid brand of line of product ....  their products were too sketchy in building what they wanted to sell. 

I said this exact same thing to myself when I was there about a month ago....

Between The Mr DIY store upstairs and Lazada and Shopee.....Their fate had been sealed...

• Agree 2

yes,  DIY have a huge range of stock at reasonable prices and their store locations are always good,  not basements or hidden away anywhere.   I bought a tube of silicon and a USB light yesterday,  I could have got both on Shopee ... but the delivery price bumps the product total up too much. 

• Agree 1

13 minutes ago, steven100 said:

yes,  DIY have a huge range of stock at reasonable prices and their store locations are always good,  not basements or hidden away anywhere.   I bought a tube of silicon and a USB light yesterday,  I could have got both on Shopee ... but the delivery price bumps the product total up too much. 

Purchase via phone app and delivery usually free.

• Thumbs Up 2

37 minutes ago, petermik said:

I was a bit peed off with them a few years back when I bought the wrong fan part,even though I returned it within the hour and unopened they would not exchange it for the correct one.......what`s happened to the stock now is anyones guess.

I'm pretty sure the returns policy is against consumer protection law and they would have refunded if threatened,apparently the consumer protection department are very much on the side of a consumer  and the shops know full well that they mean business...anyway I have never tried to get them involved.

As for the stock I would imagine they took it to the Siricha Tukcom branch  which I believe is still open...ahh the (not so) "good ole"  days of having to drive from Pattaya  to Siricha  for all computer  equipment  what a pain in the backside that was.

I like Mr D.I.Y  and they carry a large range of stuff that Amorn don't  but at the same time as mentioned by others Amorn  carries  lots of sometimes harder to find spare parts  for electronic appliances  and it's a shame they made the decision to close the Pattaya branch.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CallumWK said:

But I have a feeling that the whole of Tukcom may shut down in the not so distant future

Yes It looks more and more sparse every time I visit 😢

• Agree 1

50 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Purchase via phone app and delivery usually free.

Exactly......The desktop website for Lazada and Shopee gives you nothing......The phone app has loads of discounts and free shipping...

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, CallumWK said:

21 minutes ago, johng said:

Yes It looks more and more sparse every time I visit 😢

A few new shops have opened recently on the 2nd and 3rd floors....

4 hours ago, petermik said:

A few new shops have opened recently on the 2nd and 3rd floors....

Really ?  can't say I noticed them   are you counting the floor at street level as the first floor ?  or is it Basement, Ground, first,second etc  for me I'd call the "ground" floor first floor and the second floor is where all the mobile phone shops are  third floor has  printer shops as well as Power Buy  which is looking to go the same way as Amorn IMHO,  fourth floor has Mr D.I.Y  and the games/DVD shops   fifth floor  now closed had another big name computer shop occupying the whole floor the name of which evades me at the moment.

This sign amused me a bit  can't remember which floor it was either old age is setting in.

P_20240827_121355.thumb.jpg.6b2fb706a7da748efc0e13bbab5d8294.jpg

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, johng said:

Really ?  can't say I noticed them   are you counting the floor at street level as the first floor ? 

Basement...Ground....First floor (mobiles)

second floor PowerBuy and other new pc type shops

third floor a couple of new computer gadget stores

fourth floor Mr DIY in the main.....:thumbsup:

5 hours ago, redwood1 said:

The phone app has loads of discounts and free shipping...

IMHO the phone app is not nice to use at all 🤢  no wonder they give some discounts for the mental and physical torture endured while using the piddly screen and keyboard size of a mobile device 😋

7 hours ago, steven100 said:

it is heaven to shop online ... you don't have to try to talk to any Thai face to face. 

Well yes when it works its all good  but when something goes wrong trying to solve the problem online with a Thai (or any one else) can be a bit of a nightmare  at least with a local physical shop  you just take the defective product back to them  and demand a replacement or refund...

(stomping feet and shouting loudly optional but not really advised 😋)

• Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, johng said:

Well yes when it works its all good  but when something goes wrong trying to solve the problem online with a Thai (or any one else) can be a bit of a nightmare  at least with a local physical shop  you just take the defective product back to them  and demand a replacement or refund...

(stomping feet and shouting loudly optional but not really advised 😋)

imagine asking a Thai what are the product specifications ...........     forget it    !!   

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, steven100 said:

imagine asking a Thai what are the product specifications

The language barrier can be a big problem, I have had good and bad experiences asking a Thai the product specifications, maybe overall more bad than good  but I don't think that's really a Thai thing more of a miscommunication and  "paying peanuts" problem  which so often results in ?  whatever country.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 8/28/2024 at 9:51 AM, Pattaya57 said:

Damn, was best place to get cheap reliable aircon remotes

On 8/28/2024 at 10:28 AM, KannikaP said:

Now Shopee or Lazada.

On 8/28/2024 at 11:24 AM, redwood1 said:

Nope.....Lazada and Shopee puts them to shame...

จำหน่ายรีโมทแอร์ รีโมททีวี รีโมทกล่องดิจิตอลทีวี รีโมทจาน รีโมทดีวีดี : Inspired by LnwShop.com (remote.in.th) All the remotes you will ever need, usually delivered next day.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1