Pattaya Airways’ maiden flight set to revolutionise Thai logistics

10 hours ago, Chivas said:

True story

I flew their 747 from Bangkok to Gatwick and it was literally grounded indefinately 3 days later again at Gatwick with a list of serious defects that ensured it never flew again lol

3 years later it was still grounded with no prospect of airport charges being sorted. Assume it was scrapped there eventually

Yes I remember that aircraft parked at Gatwick for several years.

Mind you, they had competition - do you remember One -to-Go (don't come back)? Took a flight with them from Chiang Rai once. Supposed to be a MD82. After a couple of hours an ancient Boeing 747 200 (no less) turned up, branded as Orient Thai. Nothing to do with demand, it was the only thing they had that was capable of flying that week, and even then half of the interior lights didn't work!

Edited by herfiehandbag
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, herfiehandbag said:

Mind you, they had competition - do you remember One -to-Go (don't come back)? Took a flight with them from Chiang Rai once. Supposed to be a MD82. After a couple of hours an ancient Boeing 747 200 (no less) turned up, branded as Orient Thai. Nothing to do with demand, it was the only thing they had that was capable of flying that week, and even then half of the interior lights didn't work!

There is very real reason I dont fly Thai airlines in general. I've genuinely flown London to Bangkok I think its 169 times (several of friends my age have done more and nearer 200)

Of those 169 times only twice have I flown Thai and once Phuket air we speak about here

I've always had this mindset of Somchai in servicing parts with his bike spanners saying "mai pen rai" over something important and assuming it'll be fine lol

Probably unwarranted with Thai itself but not sure about the others as you say !

• Agree 1

21 hours ago, Chivas said:

There is very real reason I dont fly Thai airlines in general. I've genuinely flown London to Bangkok I think its 169 times (several of friends my age have done more and nearer 200)

Of those 169 times only twice have I flown Thai and once Phuket air we speak about here

I've always had this mindset of Somchai in servicing parts with his bike spanners saying "mai pen rai" over something important and assuming it'll be fine lol

Probably unwarranted with Thai itself but not sure about the others as you say !

I've genuinely flown London to Bangkok I think its 169 times (several of friends my age have done more and nearer 200)...Do You & Your friends only CUM For the Weekend then ??

On 9/1/2024 at 7:34 AM, herfiehandbag said:

One-2-Go was merged with Orient Thai after the OG269 crash in Phuket that killed 90 people. 

Pilots and airline at fault for that incident.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One-Two-Go_Airlines_Flight_269

• Sad 1

47 minutes ago, Blueman1 said:

I've genuinely flown London to Bangkok I think its 169 times (several of friends my age have done more and nearer 200)...Do You & Your friends only CUM For the Weekend then ??

Why would you think that ??

Some of us go back to late 80's for that first trip.......mines 1992.

Even at only 5 trips a year that alone comes to 160

On 9/2/2024 at 12:37 PM, Chivas said:

Why would you think that ??

Some of us go back to late 80's for that first trip.......mines 1992.

Even at only 5 trips a year that alone comes to 160

And my 1st trip was in 1976, But I've not done anything like the amount you did....You MUST Be Rather WEALTHY ??

On 9/2/2024 at 12:12 PM, Mr Meeseeks said:

One-2-Go was merged with Orient Thai after the OG269 crash in Phuket that killed 90 people. 

Pilots and airline at fault for that incident.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One-Two-Go_Airlines_Flight_269

Lost a good mate in that one 😞 

His wife got out but was seriously injured.

• Sad 1

On 8/30/2024 at 5:17 PM, snoop1130 said:

“This new route holds tremendous potential to boost Phuket’s economy.”

Ah yes, the completely new, previously untested, Bangkok - Phuket route 🤫🤪

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Blueman1 said:

And my 1st trip was in 1976, But I've not done anything like the amount you did....You MUST Be Rather WEALTHY ??

These days I've got a few bob yes but no not really in the 90's

Brother worked for BA during the 90's and for part of that time I could get cheap "brother of staff"  ID90 tickets (basically standby) and used that a lot but I would still have gone by using regular tickets anyway

I assure you 5 trips a year is nothing....all the guys my age that I've known from Pattaya over 30 years are the same and certainly at least 2 of them have done more than me for sure and am sure they have hit 200 by now

I did a few ting tong shorts runs on Eva lol but they were very much the exception

Flying from Heathrow Wednesday night landing Thursday afternoon and back home on the Saturday lunchtime return to Heathrow loaded down with goodies lol

I'd probably die if I tried that these days !

Edited by Chivas

If it was a passenger service crewed by hotties from Soi 6, Pattaya Airways may have more chance of success. A rebranding to "Monger Airways" would seal the deal. Every ending a happy one, could be their motto.

On 9/4/2024 at 12:35 AM, Chivas said:

These days I've got a few bob yes but no not really in the 90's

Brother worked for BA during the 90's and for part of that time I could get cheap "brother of staff"  ID90 tickets (basically standby) and used that a lot but I would still have gone by using regular tickets anyway

I assure you 5 trips a year is nothing....all the guys my age that I've known from Pattaya over 30 years are the same and certainly at least 2 of them have done more than me for sure and am sure they have hit 200 by now

I did a few ting tong shorts runs on Eva lol but they were very much the exception

Flying from Heathrow Wednesday night landing Thursday afternoon and back home on the Saturday lunchtime return to Heathrow loaded down with goodies lol

I'd probably die if I tried that these days !

Ahhhh !! 90 Quid for a Return THAT Would've had me doing about 10 Trips a Year, But NO Such luck !!!

6 hours ago, Blueman1 said:

Ahhhh !! 90 Quid for a Return THAT Would've had me doing about 10 Trips a Year, But NO Such luck !!!

lol you read that wrong albeit accidentally you were spot on re the price !!

I meant he worked there during the 1990's for 6 years and the price varied from around £80 to around £95 ( return ticket)

The discount ID90 refers to the charge of 10% of the full IATA listed fare for British airways (not travel agent fares) so full fare at the time was between £800 and £950 if you bought say directly at airport counter at last minute etc....average was about £90 but bear in mind its standby, As brother of staff the status I had was very low and used to get I'd say 30 on standby every trip....only once did i not get on at Heathrow going out but on return sector 100% success......when they started the Qantas codeshare it was brillaint because you could use either airline on same route

I wonder what 30 years later that full fare is now/ Love to know

Edited by Chivas

True story re those ID90 tickets and checking in at Don Maueng for BA back to Heathrow

If anyone thinks you're invisible at the airport even if strictly legit than think again

It was early 1995 and I used the outbound portion of London Bangkok with no issues......I had stayed about 2 weeks from memory and though ok maybe time to go home

Now back in the UK my brother could access the passenger loads for each flight, Midweek was always the best as loads were lighter and often he would see all 6 classes of economy with "9" in each row basically saying there is at least 54 empty seats. It could be 100 seats but it stopped at 54......easy for him to say ok Monday and Tuesday are excellent etc etc but later in the week more busy

Now I'm on the return sector pre internet obviously so only way to check (other than ringing home) was pop in travel agent in Pattaya and they could access the same system

Lady in office I had used before said its looking bad for at least 8 days more. Knowing my "status" was low as regards priority I thinking ok not this is not ideal (very easy when on a 12 month validity standby ticket to say ohh sod it I'll go tomorrow lol)

Asked her what a one way ticket was on Tarom back to London. I had flown them previously and price was very low so booked it there and then......

Anyway travel to DM and now obviously I've got 2 tickets one confirmed on Tarom and one on standby for BA lol

Now despite having the Tarom ticket I'm thinking obviously better if somehow I can still get on BA......the problem was Tarom departed before BA....You can see where I'm going lol.....If its busy I cant take the chance of not being on either

Anyway go straight to BA staff counter hand over ID90 ticket she enters me into the system but says highly unlikely tonight Sir heavily loaded and we have a "weight problem"...basically too much cargo and passengers so first thing thats red carded is people on standby across the board but you never know to last minute

I'm in the system so think right over to Tarom (which was the other terminal) get checked in and no messing around cant take a chance here.....

Ground handling check me in bag handed over all good....

As I walk away from the counter I'm pounced on literally....two Thais in uniform perfect accented English

"Sir we have been watching you tell us why you have checked in at two different airlines"

For a second I'm thinking this might take some explaining if they dont fully understand English !

They do and I have to detail absolutely everything about the 2 tickets and they dont appear that satisfied. Whilst they had initially looked at the data page of passport they are now going through a very excessive amount of entries and exits in the rest of the passport which to any 3rd party would look suspicious lol

Eventually I'm told thank you sir for your answers you're free to go...

Moral of the story eyes and ears are everywhere at airports watching us and you never will know where or for what !