Staying at Jomtien Beach?

GustavH

Hi Folks,
Traveling around in Thailand and planning to stay almost a week at the beach.
We have Jomtien Beach in mind, but recently I happened to find an article (I think it was thepattaynews.com) regarding excessive motorbike noise in Pattaya. Lots of motorcycles with modified exhaust pipes and loud big motorbikes touring around, according to that article.
How about Jomtien Beach? Same problem? We value a good night sleep and be able to sit on the balcony watching the sea or relaxing on the beach.., so wondering if Jomtien Beach would be the right choice.

Thanks!
Gustav

Edited by GustavH

1 hour ago, Etaoin Shrdlu said:

It has been a few years since the family and I have stayed overnight at Jomtien Beach, but I don't recall vehicle noise being an issue. The road along the beach isn't a high-traffic artery and fewer vehicles are present after dark anyway. You might hear the occasional motorbike with a loud muffler, but that's hard to avoid anywhere in Thailand.

A few years ago? Well, things have changed the past year
Read this: https://thepattayanews.com/2024/08/26/reader-mailbag-addressing-the-motorbike-noise-issue-in-pattaya/

And Jomtien got his 'fair' share!
On a Dutch blog, a person mentioned he booked for a week, but 'ran away' after 2 sleepless nights. " https://www.thailandblog.nl/nieuws-uit-thailand/ingezonden-brief-pattaya-news-dringende-aanpak-nodig-voor-geluidsoverlast-door-motoren-in-pattaya/

Translated: Erik says on August 26, 2024 at 11:42 PM
Last year I planned to stay in a hotel opposite the beach of jomtien for a week, but after 2 days I left because at night it felt like I was sleeping on a race track.., incessantly racing motor bikes!..

• Confused 1

Jomtien has no specific problem with excessive motorbike noise (that is in a completely different pat of central Pattaya).

BUT until lately and quite sure ongoing there is massive construction/roadworks along Jomtien beach road. Kills the fun on large parts of beach road. Maybe Jomtien 2nd rd is an exception (high speed racers).

Self taken picture from July 24th:
240724112604.jpg

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Agree 1

16 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

Jomtien has no specific problem with excessive motorbike noise (that is in a completely different pat of central Pattaya).

BUT until lately and quite sure ongoing there is massive construction/roadworks along Jomtien beach road. Kills the fun on large parts of beach road. Maybe Jomtien 2nd rd is an exception (high speed racers).

Self taken picture from July 24th:
240724112604.jpg

Edited by GustavH

Screenshot_2024-09-03-07-19-38-254_com_miui.gallery.thumb.jpg.66c597c165c68462ca95d2c7665d30d2.jpgScreenshot_2024-09-03-07-23-45-068_com_miui.gallery.thumb.jpg.5df67909e0aa2958215bca05f00c83ea.jpgIt's a goddamn mess. "These people" and their bogus contract/kickback unnecessary drain projects. Then this ridiculous one way nonsense that funnels all the traffic up chataphucket street. And for years to come because instead of some selected perpendicular drains in the Northern part. That was the only area with flooding. They are doing the long stretch all along the beach where there is and never been a flooding problem.

• Like 1

Not much good to say about Jomtien Beach Rd currently 😁

And one important hint:

stay away on major public holidays/long weekends. Terribly crowded and noise from mighty car speakers.

• Sad 1

17 hours ago, GustavH said:

Hi Folks,
We have Jomtien Beach in mind, but recently I happened to find an article (I think it was thepattaynews.com) regarding excessive motorbike noise in Pattaya. Lots of motorcycles with modified exhaust pipes and loud big motorbikes touring around, according to that article.
How about Jomtien Beach? Same problem? We value a good night sleep and be able to sit on the balcony watching the sea or relaxing on the beach.., so wondering if Jomtien Beach would be the right choice.

Thanks!
Gustav

In my opinion Jomtien's just a smaller version of Pattaya. If you want peace and quiet I'd be looking at somewhere a few miles south and away from the beach. I lived in a Jomtien condo on Beach Road for two years when it was a lot less crowded and noisy. Even then it was becoming overcrowded on weekends and public holidays and I moved further down the coast towards Satahip. Now when I visit Jomtien, I hardly recognise the place, it's become so crowded and built up and there seems to be the permanent noise of bass-heavy music coming from trucks. In my opinion, it's a good place to visit, but not to stay. Especially close to the beach.

• Like 1

And after this construction sh*tshow the horizontal drain project will fail. Since unlike the successful perpendicular drains shown above. The horizontal pipes with out pumpstations and not enough gravity fall most likely will clog up.Screenshot_2024-09-03-08-11-31-143_com_miui.gallery.thumb.jpg.57bc13b6e1b35707894f26b257e1efa1.jpg

11 minutes ago, jesimps said:

In my opinion Jomtien's just a smaller version of Pattaya. If you want peace and quiet I'd be looking at somewhere a few miles south and away from the beach. I lived in a Jomtien condo on Beach Road for two years when it was a lot less crowded and noisy. Even then it was becoming overcrowded on weekends and public holidays and I moved further down the coast towards Satahip. Now when I visit Jomtien, I hardly recognise the place, it's become so crowded and built up and there seems to be the permanent noise of bass-heavy music coming from trucks. In my opinion, it's a good place to visit, but not to stay. Especially close to the beach.

Simp.

If you don't like noise & commotion this is the wrong country for you (typically).

Edited by JimTripper

Maybe someone can give an update since I haven't been to Jomtien since Covid.  My go-to resort there was the Pinnacle.  It was south of town, off the main road and had a wide assortment of accommodations from simple rooms to real nice villas.  Nice beach, great breakfast buffet, lots of pools and no road noise.   But it is a hike to town(s).

The potential downsides (though I was never bothered) was that they catered to Eastern Europeans, then to Chinese when the EU business tapered off.  I found them to be delightful, because they were with their families and not the mongers you'd run into in town.  They did set up a separate breakfast buffet catering to the Chinese tastes.  I never tried that side.

Shameless plug, because I really liked the place.  I'd be interested in hearing any updates in case I decide on a beach visit on one of my monthly trips to Thailand...  Bringing it back to the OP, my suggestion is to choose your hotel wisely, regardless of what beach you choose.  Find the hotel on Google Earth and see how it's situated relative to the beach and the main roads.

Edited by impulse
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, GustavH said:

Hi Folks,

Thanks!
Gustav

It all depends on your circumstances but if you are looking for somewhere  quiet but fairly close to the built up area then LK Emerald Beach is not a bad option.  Certainly no noise there.

https://www.lkpattaya.com/emeraldbeach/

5 minutes ago, marin said:

For a week no. You would not swim at the beach. There is a road under construction that separates Jomtien from the beach. Why not go to Koh Samet, just over an hour away for say 4 or 5 nights, then come back to Jomtien for a few good meals and the such for a night or two.

koh samet.jpg

samet beach.jpg

It takes me a week to make a pot of coffee. If it's that short term I think anywhere in Pattaya would be enjoyable judt for the novelty.

• Haha 1

That Pinnacle looks great for 1440THB/nite w breakfast!

VT3 is quiet too and the small beach is never crowded. Close to Russian market for expensive fattening European food.

They also had barbecued crocodile!

Last year they had only one Thai restaurant which always seems to be empty. Maybe that's the reason food prices were low. Quality was great.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, GypsyT said:

That Pinnacle looks great for 1440THB/nite w breakfast!

VT3 is quiet too and the small beach is never crowded. Close to Russian market for expensive fattening European food.

They also had barbecued crocodile!

Last year they had only one Thai restaurant which always seems to be empty. Maybe that's the reason food prices were low. Quality was great.

Don't go there on weekends: traffic jam on the beach road, Dongtan Beach.
Noisy motorbikes, even late at night. The road is closed to cars after about 11pm, but motorbikes can pass through the barrier.
Jomtien Beach is a noisy place regarding motor bikes, even in the small sois. And drug dealers around soi 2-3.
I spoke to a man who saw a gang of drug dealers beating a man with a machete. The victim then lay on the road for 20 minutes, bleeding from his head, before an ambulance arrived. I wasn't told if the man was dead or alive, but I was told he didn't move at all. The strange thing was that no police came to the scene, even though the police station is only 300 metres away. Rumour has it that the drug dealers there pay the police 100,000 baht/year to turn a blind eye.

• Confused 2

On 9/2/2024 at 2:55 PM, HappyExpat57 said:

I lived there for years and only left for work in Chanthaburi. When I'm done, I'll be moving back. I never heard any excessive motorbike noise.

It is there now days.

But no different to pattaya down the road, for noise.

But yes , still a great place to live.  20 years + for me. :thumbsup:

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, In Full Agreement said:

The very excessive MC noise doesn't begin until around 3:15 AM and stops  around 6:15 AM every night.

Hmm, hardly a convenient time to be woken up!

• Agree 1

13 hours ago, In Full Agreement said:

The very excessive MC noise doesn't begin until around 3:15 AM and stops  around 6:15 AM every night.

On the minute accurate? You are joking!
It starts late morning with a few, gets quite bad after 3-4pm, until late night.
Sitting in a  restaurant? Regularly have to stop talking because of the noise.
Sitting at the beach? A goof night's sleep when staying at a hotel at the beach? Forget it.
 Etc etc.

• Sad 2

On 9/5/2024 at 10:51 AM, Jack1979 said:

On the minute accurate? You are joking!

"The very excessive MC noise doesn't begin until around 3:15 AM and stops  around 6:15 AM every night."

I guess you don't grasp The meaning of  AROUND.

Edited by In Full Agreement