Thailand Gears Up for Tourist Boom: 12.2 Million Expected by Year-End

15 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

You must be really uninformed. As an alternative, you are just playing dumb. There is a third alternative as well, but nothing we need to post about. Let´s get down to the facts instead. 

What you are insinuating, is that they have made a lot already, that is not included in the 1,8 trillion baht, as you belief is that amount is what more they will make this year, right?

That´s just pure misinformation or you spreading lies. The 1,8 trillion, is what they have generated so far this year. The article below clearly state they aim to push the annual total up to nearly 36 million tourists, which are generating, still a total, of 1,8 trillion baht. Later down it stands as of sept 1, the total of foreign arrivals reached 23 million.

Just so you get it a little bit more, because it takes a lot for things to sink in with you. Just take a minute to read before you post more misinformation.

2019 was the record year for Thailand regarding tourism revenue, which still stands. Have you read anything about that they are going to break that record with as much as you claim, as your 4 month will give 1,8 trillion more? That´s just pure garbage and foolishness.

This link:
Will give you this information: Thailand Tourism Statistics Statistics: Market Data Report 2024 (worldmetrics.org)

• The revenue generated from international tourism in Thailand reached $60 billion in 2019.

Do you really think that the record year 2019, that reached a total of about 2 trillion, will be almost same as your fake 1,8 trillion the last 4 month this year?

Get a grip! You see, you didn´t clear up anything, more than creating more lies and misinformation.

After that, I am in no need to get well. Here it seems like you clearly missed you doctors appointment.

Seems like you have got your USD mixed up with THB.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, DonniePeverley said:

Cheap mass tourism from India and China is an enviromental disaster. 

Turns away high spend tourists. 

An absolute disgrace .

A country addicted to cheap tourists. No attempts to diversify the economy. 

From what I hear, they are not tourists, they are here to work, scam, open businesses, buy real estate to sell or rent at a profit. just got back from the wholesale market, 95 if not 100 percent of the stall are occupied by Chinese and Burmese nationals.

3 hours ago, Geoffggi said:

It matters not how many NON-PAYING tourists they get it's only a body count that does very little for the economy ..............LOL

I'm curious as to how I can become a 'NON-PAYING' tourist.  Sounds terrific!  Travel anywhere for free.  What's not to like.  First, how do I get there for free?  Mind you, I'm not really big on walking long distances.   And, hitchhiking?  Daddy said never hitchhike.  Once I get to the country I am visiting, how do I sleep in a hotel for free?  I'm not one of those fresh air, sleep on the sidewalk guys.  Just knowing how to do that will be worth patiently waiting for your answer.   My goodness, if it's free I could just live in hotels for the rest of my life!   You hold the key, guy.  Share!

Now, about eating for free while I am visiting for, say, a week.  How does that work?  Should I pack a second suitcase full of food?  I have to say lugging around a second heavy suitcase of food doesn't sound that appetizing.  Hopefully, you can tell me how to eat for free.  Maybe just use the free room service at the free hotel I'm staying at?   Thanks a bunch!

33 minutes ago, MalcolmB said:

Seems like you have got your USD mixed up with THB.

What are you talking about? Is that a lame comment to confuse instead of admitting your are wrong?

Please explain what I am mixing up. You are just trolling around as usual, without any knowledge of anything. Resulting in that you spread misinformation and use personal attacks as you please.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, newnative said:

I'm curious as to how I can become a 'NON-PAYING' tourist.  Sounds terrific!  Travel anywhere for free.  What's not to like.  First, how do I get there for free?  Mind you, I'm not really big on walking long distances.   And, hitchhiking?  Daddy said never hitchhike.  Once I get to the country I am visiting, how do I sleep in a hotel for free?  I'm not one of those fresh air, sleep on the sidewalk guys.  Just knowing how to do that will be worth patiently waiting for your answer.   My goodness, if it's free I could just live in hotels for the rest of my life!   You hold the key, guy.  Share!

Now, about eating for free while I am visiting for, say, a week.  How does that work?  Should I pack a second suitcase full of food?  I have to say lugging around a second heavy suitcase of food doesn't sound that appetizing.  Hopefully, you can tell me how to eat for free.  Maybe just use the free room service at the free hotel I'm staying at?   Thanks a bunch!

Become a Chinese national QED .................LOL

1 hour ago, chiang mai said:

You have no idea. My wife used to work in very top end hotel in Chiang Mai where Chinese tourists would think nothing of spending 200k baht in the boutique shop and leave instructions that their purchases were shipped back to their home in China. Today, we live in an area where 70% of our neighbours are well heeled but very low key Chinese, all of whom send their young children to the nearby Prem International school where full year tuition fees are between 400k and 700k per child, our neighbours have three children there. Most people in places such as Pattaya see the mass market tour groups but there are plenty of others who spend a lot of money, serious money.

Absolutely.  It bears remembering that 60% or more of Chinese tourists to Thailand are F.I.T tourists, traveling independently, and not in tourist groups.  Like you, our  new housing project of about 28 homes, some not yet finished or occupied, has at least 3 well-off Chinese families so far.   We know one Chinese family that sends their two daughters to private school--and they told us a good education for them was one of the reasons they moved to Thailand.

Pattaya gets tour groups but it also gets its share of F.I.T Chinese tourists, who stay at new hotels like Centre Point Space and very nice resorts like Centara Grand in Wongamat, and others.  They may not be as readily visible as those following a waving tour guide flag but they are there.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, newnative said:

Absolutely.  It bears remembering that 60% or more of Chinese tourists to Thailand are F.I.T tourists, traveling independently, and not in tourist groups.  Like you, our  new housing project of about 28 homes, some not yet finished or occupied, has at least 3 well-off Chinese families so far.   We know one Chinese family that sends their two daughters to private school--and they told us a good education for them was one of the reasons they moved to Thailand.

Pattaya gets tour groups but it also gets its share of F.I.T Chinese tourists, who stay at new hotels like Centre Point Space and very nice resorts like Centara Grand in Wongamat, and others.  They may not be as readily visible as those following a waving tour guide flag but they are there.  

Many westerns can't tell the difference between Chinese, Thai or Japanese.

• Like 1

I would recommend anyone do their travels before 2026.

The UN and WHO will be rolling out their next "virus" early in that year.

Back to border controls,  nonsense testing and loads of brainwashed fools walking around in face diapers.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, StandardIssue said:

It had a good run, now it is OVER RUN. Time to move on from Thailand, I bid you farewell and the rich Thai's can exploit their country until it is a damn s#!t hole. Just too bad. A real shame. This once was a great place to live as an expat and now it just keeps getting more crowded and expensive.

Depends on your horizon and line of sight here. If you're talking Pattaya or Phuket, I agree. If you're talking rural Thailand, you couldn't be more wrong. The answer of course is to stay away from tourist ghettos 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, chiang mai said:

Depends on your horizon and line of sight here. If you're talking Pattaya or Phuket, I agree. If you're talking rural Thailand, you couldn't be more wrong. The answer of course is to stay away from tourist ghettos 

Yea, I'm talking Pattaya, Phuket, Bangkok.. I don't know about Hua-Hin yet. Maybe worth going up North... I'll have a look soon. Good idea mate.

Good news again. When you change governments these things happen. I said it before and will say it again because too many oldies get into ever lasting moaning mode. These new politicians who are running Thailand in last year or so are open, progressive, internationalist and so the economy will improve , Tourism will increase and Thailand may return to the prosperity and more equality years of Thaksin Shinawatra  when far more Europeans came to the land of smiles, brought property, retired and came for longer vacations. 

19 hours ago, DonniePeverley said:

Cheap mass tourism from India and China is an enviromental disaster. 

Turns away high spend tourists. 

An absolute disgrace .

A country addicted to cheap tourists. No attempts to diversify the economy. 

My flight next weekend from India is empty . The Thai airways flight is the same price as AirAsia.

Edited by arick

19 hours ago, MalcolmB said:

Sounds like you would like Thailand to fail. We don’t need people like you in Thailand. 
Nothing worse than an uninvited immigrant who is anti the people of the country he has shown up to. 

Sounds like the ramblings of a communist trying to manipulate others.

7 hours ago, Lopburikid said:

From what I hear, they are not tourists, they are here to work, scam, open businesses, buy real estate to sell or rent at a profit. just got back from the wholesale market, 95 if not 100 percent of the stall are occupied by Chinese and Burmese nationals.

Lop, I really think you're on point here. In the last 20 yrs here I've noticed there are more and more scammers than previously. People arriving with no means of support so scamming to get by. Lately more Ivans trying to eke out a survival living by any scam they can think of. I refuse to help them. I've paid my own way all along and not by scamming anyone. 

• Agree 1

12 hours ago, chiang mai said:

Many westerns can't tell the difference between Chinese, Thai or Japanese.

Just the same, Asians can't tell the difference between Germans, Danes or Dutch. 😎

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, BayArea said:

Just the same, Asians can't tell the difference between Germans, Danes or Dutch. 😎

True(ish), but build, hair and eye colour are a giveaway for Scandi's. I'm pretty sure I can usually distinguish between Chinese and Thai based on skin colour (usually paler or lighter), dress (usually more flamboyant) and manners/demeanor (less well mannered/considerate/specially aware). Mostly however the languages are totally different, 5 seconds of eavesdropping will confirm nationality.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, bkknirvana said:

I would recommend anyone do their travels before 2026.

The UN and WHO will be rolling out their next "virus" early in that year.

Back to border controls,  nonsense testing and loads of brainwashed fools walking around in face diapers.

I don't doubt it. But monkey pox hasn't really gained traction. Maybe they've got something ultra nasty up their sleeves. We're fast approaching 2030 and we all have to own nothing and be going nowhere.

Doc Tedros - the hardest working man in show biz!

• Like 1

On 9/3/2024 at 12:47 AM, BayArea said:

I believe at this point and time; the Thai gov't and its private sectors are at a loss on what to do to enhance or generate revenue for the stagnant economy other than to put all their collective eggs in the tourism basket. It seems everything they report, and implement is all going to tourism. 

Nail meet hammer. Thai economy is not looking good at present. Rebound since 2020 has been slow and markedly weaker than comparable economies around SE Asia, perhaps an indication on a local relative over reliance on tourism, which globally has taken a long time to bounce back.

I saw a report recently that tourist numbers in Thailand are back around pre-pandemic levels this year but comparative spending is only 80% of previous level. High volume/cheaply priced tours are obviously the current preferred approach.

In their slight defence, if running a business/economy it is absolutely imperative to generate revenue, even if the profit margins are weaker. The alternative of even higher reduced revenue is an even worse outcome for all. 

7 hours ago, Woke to Sounds of Horking said:

I don't doubt it. But monkey pox hasn't really gained traction. Maybe they've got something ultra nasty up their sleeves. We're fast approaching 2030 and we all have to own nothing and be going nowhere.

Doc Tedros - the hardest working man in show biz!

You can bet that the World Government is brewing something up in the labs for us.

For our rulers it's all about reducing energy use and population. They even admit it.

When you realize this, all the virus and climate warming nonsense makes sense.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, bkknirvana said:

You can bet that the World Government is brewing something up in the labs for us.

For our rulers it's all about reducing energy use and population. They even admit it.

When you realize this, all the virus and climate warming nonsense makes sense.

Yeah, and the world is flat.

• Confused 1

14 hours ago, chiang mai said:

True(ish), but build, hair and eye colour are a giveaway for Scandi's. I'm pretty sure I can usually distinguish between Chinese and Thai based on skin colour (usually paler or lighter), dress (usually more flamboyant) and manners/demeanor (less well mannered/considerate/specially aware). Mostly however the languages are totally different, 5 seconds of eavesdropping will confirm nationality.

Dead easy to tell a Thai from Chinese. Now Korean from Japanese I find difficult.

• Like 2