Bringing a bike into Thailand as sports luggage

B0nkers

I asked my home country customs if I bring a bicycle into Canada for a month or two while I visit, but not leaving it there, will I have to pay import fees. The answer was yes. So, even though I'm just in and out of the country to visit family, I have to pay 25% on a bike that I bought elsewhere. I am Canadian, so I guess they assume I want to leave the bike in Canada. I'm curious though, if I buy a bike outside of Thailand and bring it with my on a long-term visa, such as the new 5 year digital nomad visa, will I have to pay import fees or would it be considered sports luggage like a surfboard would be? What about other surrounding countries, like Malaysia, Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos etc if I want to travel around a few weeks here and there and bring the bike with me?

26 minutes ago, B0nkers said:

I asked my home country customs if I bring a bicycle into Canada for a month or two while I visit, but not leaving it there, will I have to pay import fees. The answer was yes. So, even though I'm just in and out of the country to visit family, I have to pay 25% on a bike that I bought elsewhere. I am Canadian, so I guess they assume I want to leave the bike in Canada. I'm curious though, if I buy a bike outside of Thailand and bring it with my on a long-term visa, such as the new 5 year digital nomad visa, will I have to pay import fees or would it be considered sports luggage like a surfboard would be? What about other surrounding countries, like Malaysia, Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos etc if I want to travel around a few weeks here and there and bring the bike with me?

As long as the bike is not 'new', ie still in factory packaging then it is used, personal affects.. same as surfboard, dive equipment and any other sports equipment.

• Agree 2

19 hours ago, B0nkers said:

There are several ways to deal with this and there is information at the CBSA website.

1. You have an $800 exemption. If you can show that your bike is  below the exemption, then no problem.

2. If you exceed the exemption and can show that the bicycle is not being brought back to Canada, then you can ask to be exempt.

3. If the bicycle is not yours and is borrowed or leased, and will be removed from Canada when you leave, you can ask to be exempt.

4. CBSA is on the lookout for currency, jewellery, precious metals, agricultural products, tobacco,  trade tools, alcohol and drugs. It is very unlikely that you will be questioned on the bicycle. It might be searched, but if it looks Canadian enough, it will pass. Most bicycles  in Canada  are imported now, and components  are all foreign sourced.  If you are taking the bike with you when you leave Canada again, then you are technically  not returning with a purchase. However, at some point, if you do bring back the bicycle it would have to be declared, so if you do pay anything keep the receipt so you don't have to pay  next time you come back with it.

As a side note, remember that  anything that is not declared above exemption is considered to be an "uninsurable" item.  If it gets stolen and you try to claim, there is no coverage under Canadian insurance because it would be an "illegal item". You would have to claim under your Thai insurance. 

5 hours ago, HauptmannUK said:

I have bought a number of bikes into Thailand over the years. New and used. Tourist visa and spouse visa. They are all still in Thailand.  I never declared anything - just put through Emirates oversize baggage. Only got stopped once with a very large bike box. The customs guy asked 'What is it?'.  I said 'a bike', an he waved me on.

Bought lots of tools through, a big trolley jack (that was a struggle), hi-fi system, race exhaust system for a motorbike etc. Customs have never shown much interest.

I have done exactly the same. Some kids bikes I just pulled apart and put in a large suitcase.

They don't seem to care.

• Agree 1

I've brought two bicycles into Thailand (both used). Each time I went to the dumpster of a local bike shop and grabbed out a cardboard bike box to pack them in. Both times I went  through the Green nothing to declare channel, first time wasn't stopped, the second time a customs officer stopped me and wanted to know if the bike was new, I said no. He didn't want me to open the box to prove it so I carried on my way.

• Like 1

I don't know about Canada., but in this region of the world they don't give a rat's a.. about a bicycle, new or old. 

I have been biking/flying back and forth for over 30 years in the Asean region ,they don't care at all. 

The only thing that has changed over the decades is, that while many airlines would accept unboxed bicycle, most, if not all ,require you to box it up now. A major hassle.

Edited by thecyclist
Error
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, ernji said:

I've brought two bicycles into Thailand (both used). Each time I went to the dumpster of a local bike shop and grabbed out a cardboard bike box to pack them in. Both times I went  through the Green nothing to declare channel, first time wasn't stopped, the second time a customs officer stopped me and wanted to know if the bike was new, I said no. He didn't want me to open the box to prove it so I carried on my way.

Wow,really. Never ever happened to me, or to any other" Asean" cyclists , that I know. 

Did you look like a "farang kee nok", or act suspiciously? 🤣 

• Like 1

I've taken all sorts of stuff back and forwards between Thailand and Australia over the last 40 years. 

I took an entire suitcase of Australian power outlets and circuit breakers when we were building our house. I came back with a 10 foot satellite dish and an electric tricycle for my 8 year old son.

Another time I just came back with a toothbrush and change of underwear. Nothing else. That actually raised more alarms than anything else.

Actually that's a story in itself.

I lugged this bloody big satellite dish and a receiver back on the plane so my misses could watch Thai TV (before YouTube was invented) and asked the local installer to put it up for me.

He said "You do realise that Australia is in the Southern hemisphere?"

Apparently I would have needed a tower 2000 feet tall to get reception.

• Haha 1

If I remember correctly, when you move to Thailand you can take everything you own tax free with you, but you have to have it owned for at least a year. 

I don't understand why Canada wants tax for a bike when you don't live there anymore and will be there only for a vacation. 

Nothing to worry about in asialand.  Flown and ridden into/out of Thai, Cambodia, Vietnam, Singapore, Myanmar, Malaysia and China many times with bicycle and gear.  Never asked, never bothered by customs.

Last return trip from China by air arriving visa exempt, brought in two bikes in boxes, plus suitcase, laptop bag, and a couple duffel bags of parts and clothing.

No questions upon entry, just go through 'nothing to declare' as you have nothing to declare.

Picture001.jpg.e506d5e1b4f4e0e97d245db5f7810f76.jpg

3 hours ago, sipi said:

Actually that's a story in itself.

I lugged this bloody big satellite dish and a receiver back on the plane so my misses could watch Thai TV (before YouTube was invented) and asked the local installer to put it up for me.

He said "You do realise that Australia is in the Southern hemisphere?"

Apparently I would have needed a tower 2000 feet tall to get reception.

I had/have one of these 3m satellite dishes that I used then.

The problem was Aus. changed the satellite they used to broadcast from and went to a satellite that was 'over the horizon' (no line of site) therefore you couldn't get reception in most parts of Thailand.

Feel older now. 🙂

i have traveled with my ebike 3 times from london to bkk to london  , and on the 3rd time - they made me take the battery out. not allowed battery over certain power.bike in thailand battery is in uk ..

8 minutes ago, DTL2014 said:

i have traveled with my ebike 3 times from london to bkk to london  , and on the 3rd time - they made me take the battery out. not allowed battery over certain power.bike in thailand battery is in uk ..

Yes batteries on the eBikes can be an issue

I have brought several Mountain bikes into Thailand as checked luggage. Never had a question from customs.

The only time I was fleeced at BKK was something completely unrelated on a day Customs seemed to be running a crackdown, ie money spinner.

I've brought loads of stuff into Thailand in rather conspicuous packages... 

- Bike (ridden, then re-packages in original bike box with labels on it)

- Ski's (3x times)

- Pushchairs (large pushchair / iso-fix / car seat combo systems)

- Bulky motorcycle clothing etc.

As long as everything is 'de-labelled' and clearly not for re-sale then I think you are covered. 

It would have to be an extremely difficult customs officer to even bother stopping you let alone charging you anything for customs.... 

Customs at the Airports here seem to concentrate on: 

a) People bringing in Cigarettes (or they used to)

b) women brining in a suitcase load of handbags (in original boxes etc) for resale.

Since Suvarnabumi Airport was opened - I've been back in about 6-10x per year (except Covid) and was only once asked to put one of my bags through the x-ray by customs and even then they were disinterested. 

Thus: I would suggest, go ahead...   its very unlikely you will face issues - people come here all the time for Traithlons etc....  (you could add a little 'mud to your bike' just to make sure you can show its 'used'... 

I've taken 2 bicycles into Thailand. Never a problem. 

There's a parable I recalled, although the one I remembered was about Garlic across the France/Belgian border. The one I find online is about Sand on the Mexico/US border. Story here.

Edited by soi3eddie

I've brought bicycles into and out of Thailand many times over the past 30 years.  I have never been stopped.  I have been asked, "What is it?" maybe once or twice and after telling them that it is a bicycle that was fine and away I went.  Most of the time I have travelled with an oversized hardcase bicycle suitcase but have also used soft sided bicycle suitcases.  They seem more intrigued by what could this large suitcase possibly contain.   

No Years ago I brought my vintage mountsin bike here, I went to a bike shop got a box packed it all in and more. Contacted the airline gave them the measurement why cause I was allowed two pieces of luggage 23 kilos using bike box as second piece. To not be caught off guard techno by an agent although box and bike was under 23K, can take measurement of box if greater than 23 k can anally gotcha!

checked in as oversize and picked up same.

23 hours ago, thailand49 said:

No Years ago I brought my vintage mountsin bike here, I went to a bike shop got a box packed it all in and more. Contacted the airline gave them the measurement why cause I was allowed two pieces of luggage 23 kilos using bike box as second piece. To not be caught off guard techno by an agent although box and bike was under 23K, can take measurement of box if greater than 23 k can anally gotcha!

checked in as oversize and picked up same.

Be good if you can use paragraphs..

26 minutes ago, georgegeorgia said:

Be good if you can use paragraphs..

Tell me what is your actual purpose here! I have been respectful by honestlly answering your question and remarks politely.

You are a grown man acting like your handle a Racist known location in the past maybe so embedded deep inside you cant help yourself!

A reminder one of the rules of this forum grammar or spelling although important because there are people from all over the world.

If it bothers you so much apply for a <deleted> job at a school but dont try to think you are better think your <deleted> dont stink doing your closet racist George Wallace impersonation.SMF!

Are there any concessions for sports luggage, such as surf boards, bicycles, diving equipment etc.? Do those count to your free luggage quota? ( I guess it would!)