Thailand Poised to Gain from Surge in Medical Tourism

image.jpeg

File photo

Thailand, Southeast Asia's leading destination for medical tourism, stands to significantly benefit from a projected boom in the industry. The global medical tourism market, estimated to grow an impressive 20% annually, is expected to balloon from $103 billion to $284 billion by 2032, as reported by Bumrungrad International Hospital.

Dr Nipat Kulabkaw, co-chief executive of the hospital group, highlighted the increasing influx of patients from neighbouring Southeast Asian countries and the Middle East following the pandemic. Speaking at the Thailand Focus 2024 event, he underscored Thailand's strong position in medical tourism, attributing it to a combination of world-class medical expertise, affordable services, and exceptional hospitality.

"Thailand offers an unmatched blend of safety standards, advanced medical technology, and cost-effective healthcare," Dr Nipat stated. He pointed out that 62 Thai hospitals have received certification from the US's Joint Commission International, a prestigious endorsement of quality care.

The shift in healthcare towards preventive measures rather than just treatment has also been a crucial factor. "Recognising early signs of severe diseases like cancer allows for preventive steps, making healthcare more affordable and effective," Dr Nipat explained. The integration of artificial intelligence in diagnostics further enhances treatment accuracy, providing immense benefits to patients.

Bumrungrad International Hospital, a key player in the sector, caters to patients seeking treatment for serious conditions such as cancer and heart surgery. The clientele primarily hails from Southeast Asia, the Middle East, Ethiopia, and Kenya, with burgeoning opportunities from Myanmar, Cambodia, Bangladesh, and China.

Siripakorn Cheawsamoot from the Tourism Authority of Thailand noted an uptick in tourists from the Middle East, particularly Saudi Arabia, with around 200 flights arriving weekly. The trend is bolstered by the appeal of Thailand’s cooler weather and school holidays in July and August, reported Bangkok Post.

Thailand's blend of top-tier medical services, affordability, and welcoming atmosphere positions it to captivate a growing share of the lucrative medical tourism market, with strong support anticipated from both the government and private sectors.

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-09-04

news-footer-4.png

Get the ASEAN NOW daily NEWSLETTER - Click HERE to subscribe

• Haha 2

Yeah, same goes for dental tourism.  Had some work done in Bangkok recently.  Very professional and high quality.  Getting the same work done where I live (Hong Kong) would have been 5 times the cost, including considering flights and accommodation.  And I got a holiday too.

I'm getting my ears syringed soon. 1,500 Baht in Bangkok, over 8,000 Baht in Hong Kong (at today's exchange rate).

Got a full medical done at Ruamjairak hospital earlier this year, 7,950 Baht (was a 50% off deal), same in Hong Kong would have been close to 100,000 Baht.  Same level of professionalism too.  Ruamjairak didn't do any of the crazy upselling that other hospitals have been known to do either.

So, is a good article.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, MalcolmB said:

And demand from people with Covid because they were scared to have a vaccine because some unqualified guy on the Internet told them nonsense.

Haha, trust me pal, no one ever regretted not taking that poison in their arm! The only people who maybe should have risked it was the very elderly or those with really poor immune systems.

The average age of someone dying with covid was over 80! Higher than life expectancy in many western countries. Most of these people actually died of some other cause. The whole pandemic was a con.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 4
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, webfact said:

Thailand, Southeast Asia's leading destination for medical tourism, stands to significantly benefit from a projected boom in the industry. The global medical tourism market, estimated to grow an impressive 20% annually, is expected to balloon from $103 billion to $284 billion by 2032, as reported by Bumrungrad International Hospital.

I do hope all these facilities will be checked for licenses and professional doctors and staff.

• Agree 1

Very Sad Story: In US I experienced the major decline of how health care is administered, premiums, yearly deductibles, and co-pays being excessive and causing a financial hardship and burden.  Some General Practitioner appointments are booked 1 month or more in advance.  Doctor's office tells you if you need immediate medical care go to the Really Expensive Emergency Department at the Hospital.

Insurance has influenced Doctor's to game the system by having follow up appointments that take literally 1 or 2 minutes but Doctor receives same office visit payment as a longer consultation.  Lack of ability to build a history with 1 Doctor due to appointment availability time. Lack of knowledge and understanding of your medical or family medical history.

Additionally Doctor's and Hospitals in US make money off prescription drugs not healthy diets, exercise, or alternative treatment.  Most Doctor's will downplay or dismiss the benefits.

• Thanks 1

My bypass surgery at the most expensive hospital in Bangkok cost less than the insurance deductible would have been in the USA.  And the quality of care was as good as I've ever seen in a US hospital.

IMO, Thailand has a huge potential market in healthcare and another great opportunity in elder care.  If they do it right. 

I'm sure there's US laws against it, but US insurance companies (and Medicare) should pay for their customers to seek treatment in Thailand.  They'd save a bundle.

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, impulse said:

IMO, Thailand has a huge potential market in healthcare and another great opportunity in elder care.  If they do it right. 

As more and more medical tourists fly in expecting the very best of everything, two things will happen: Costs will skyrocket, and service will decline for everyone unable to pay the skyrocketing prices.

• Thumbs Up 1

so bnh, bangkok hospital and the lot can even increase the price more then they do now, when they see a non thai face...

for people who blabla, in usa would be more expensive...

in europe it would be as good as FREE , but people pay high taxes, for free education, affordable healthcare FOR ALL, a pension...

• Confused 1

I guess people don have medical options in their countries?

I have about 5% confidence in the medical system here.  Any surgeries that I need I go back home.

Under trained and pushing way too many medications on people not good.  And, it is not cheap medical really forcing people to stay in the hospital that are outpatient procedures in 95% of the world.

2 hours ago, MalcolmB said:

And demand from people with Covid because they were scared to have a vaccine because some unqualified guy on the Internet told them nonsense.

Try keeping up! Well proven now. 1. it was experimental.  2.  it was not technically a vaccine but gene therapy.  3. It did not stop you from getting the cold sorry covid. 4. It did not stop transmission. And it killed and injured millions. I could keep on. Yes I did get it and yes I regret it every day. If people in the uk had read the .gov figures instead of listening to currupt politicians and elite they would have been very few allowing themselves to be part of the scam. 

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

I am a big fan of Thai Government hospitals but not so much the private clinics in Thailand. Several times I/we as a family always went to private but ended up government due to incompetence or could not do the required treatment. 

I had my dental work done in South America. I tried Thailand, but was not impressed. But, it will be huge. I save thousands just with a plane ticket, and a nice vacation. Another reason I didn't like Thailand is the long plane ride. From the US I can hop a plane and arrive several hours later in the same time zone. And a biggie for me was the polution. Here I can breath the air and live a western life style on the cheap. And my dental work was going to take over a year to complete. So it was a no brainer for me.

Edited by Gknrd
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, BritScot said:

Try keeping up! Well proven now. 1. it was experimental.  2.  it was not technically a vaccine but gene therapy.  3. It did not stop you from getting the cold sorry covid. 4. It did not stop transmission. And it killed and injured millions. I could keep on. Yes I did get it and yes I regret it every day. If people in the uk had read the .gov figures instead of listening to currupt politicians and elite they would have been very few allowing themselves to be part of the scam. 

What?  

15 hours ago, Gknrd said:

I had my dental work done in South America. I tried Thailand, but was not impressed. But, it will be huge. I save thousands just with a plane ticket, and a nice vacation. Another reason I didn't like Thailand is the long plane ride. From the US I can hop a plane and arrive several hours later in the same time zone. And a biggie for me was the polution. Here I can breath the air and live a western life style on the cheap. And my dental work was going to take over a year to complete. So it was a no brainer for me.

It's hard to justify $2,000 in airfare, $50 a night in a hotel and 48-60 hours R/T in travel time for an American to save on dental in Thailand.  And if you're already in Thailand on holiday, who wants to spend a couple of days of precious (in the USA) vacation time in a waiting room?

Maybe Europeans, who can take monthlong vacations, but if I ever took a month off from a US company, they'd figure out they don't need me anyway...

Saving half a million USD, like I would have saved on my bypass surgery had I been uninsured, throws out excellent numbers.  Dental, not so much.

Edited by impulse

On 9/4/2024 at 1:54 PM, mfd101 said:

As more and more medical tourists fly in expecting the very best of everything, two things will happen: Costs will skyrocket, and service will decline for everyone unable to pay the skyrocketing prices.

My regular lab tests cost more in the top hospital  than what I paid in Germany for these. I hope prices aren't going up further.