Major bribery ring in highways department uncovered

I have often wondered about these modified wagons. The ones with extra long bits on the back and the ones made wider near the top. They must be carrying extra weight greater than is permitted. 

At the weigh bridge "Over weight? That'l be 5,000 baht sir".

• Sad 1

Related to this subject: Whenever I walk down Suk or Silom roads I look up at the SkyTrain structure and think "I hope they didn't skimp on the reinforcing steel". On such seemingly small items e.g. being paid for rebar as per specification but buying smaller gauge hinges whether a structure is safe or not. Hope that the engineers and procurement officers were British/American or German. In this case it looks like extortion though. I hope.

Over the years whenever you see lorries with an extraordinary overhang of the load or even the Sugar cane lorries so overloaded that even turning is dangerous, you know somewhere somehow there is little of any oversight by the authorities and if there is oversight money has changed hands . 

Like all  road checks, some vehicles sail through even though you know they are illegal, overloaded, speeding etc. Overladen lorries are one of the causes of brake failure resulting in many accidents so lack of enforcement those corrupt officials are also complicit in accidents as well. 

• Like 1