Splitting my time between Thailand & my originating country....

Hi there, would like to find out if anyone out there is splitting their time (50/50 or there abouts) between Thailand and their home country, or have any good advice.

I am contemplating doing this and if there are people out there doing that, what Visa do you enter Thailand on? I am currently here on a OA visa.

Any info would be greatly appreciated, Phil

1 minute ago, LUCKYPHIL3007 said:

Hi there, would like to find out if anyone out there is splitting their time (50/50 or there abouts) between Thailand and their home country, or have any good advice.

I am contemplating doing this and if there are people out there doing that, what Visa do you enter Thailand on? I am currently here on a OA visa.

Any info would be greatly appreciated, Phil

Use visa exempt. 60 days now.

• Confused 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

If you going to stay 6 months straight in Thailand, I would continue to renew my oa retirement visa. Less hassle for me, but this December is my last renewal, since I will only spend 2-3 months from 2026. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

19 minutes ago, LUCKYPHIL3007 said:

You best to indicate if it's 6 in 6 out as a block or collective.

Also where based in Thailand 

2 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

You best to indicate if it's 6 in 6 out as a block or collective.

Also where based in Thailand 

Do you think it could be possible to stay a year or two in Thailand on visa waivers alone?

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

19 minutes ago, maesariang said:

Another option

Get a 1 year visa in Cambodia. Then use 60 days visa exempts for Thailand.

From the OP....

"50/50 or there abouts) between Thailand and their home country"

Cambodia is not in the equation. 

• Confused 1

I split my time 50/50 between UK and Thailand. My (Thai) wife has businesses in both the UK and Thailand needs to be in UK at least half the year. I have a business that ticks over without me but I have family there that I like to see and also a collection of cars I mess about with and am restoring. The DTV is perfect for me. Five years for £300 and 180 days per entry. Was easy to get. I doubt they'll revoke it.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, retarius said:

My problem with using the 60 day route is that Thailand changes immigration laws like I change my underwear and there is no guarantee that they won't do away with that visa

If/when that happens you could just pay and get the METV.

I guess there would be zero applications now for that METV for countries who can get the 60 day visa exempt.

On 9/4/2024 at 5:37 PM, Cameroni said:

Do you think it could be possible to stay a year or two in Thailand on visa waivers alone?

Thus far, I have seen no reports of rejection at known-safe / non-corrupt entry points, since the new 60-day exemption system went into effect.  But, all we really know is "what is reported, and has been reported" - not what the future might bring. 

As well, any entry-point may be taken-over by local-management who wants to run an agent-racket at any time.  As an example, there were no problems at Poipet/Aranyaprathet for decades, until it suddenly became the worst entry-point in the country.

As well, new "official / legal" (printed in the Gazette) rules could be promulgated at any time - though that is a sword of Damocles hanging over ALL of us w/o "permanent residence" or Thai-citizenship. 

For best odds, one can place their bets on what have been the most reliable forms of permitted-stay, and enjoy it while it lasts.  If one can get an extension based on retirement, for example, there are few good reasons to use something else, which I have heard.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

12 hours ago, Rob Browder said:

If one can get an extension based on retirement, for example, there are few good reasons to use something else, which I have heard.

Not wanting to be deemed a Thai tax resident reason and whatever that future may bring?

• Thumbs Up 2

4 hours ago, Bvor said:

Not wanting to be deemed a Thai tax resident reason and whatever that future may bring?

The type of visa you have has no bearing on being a "tax resident."  Being in the country more than 180 days - or not - determines this - not "visa type." 

Many will not stay in the country more than 180 days in the same year they bring in a large lump-sum (condo, retirement-visa 800K, etc), to avoid taxation on it.  The next year - no problem - stay all year.

• Agree 2

On 9/4/2024 at 5:13 PM, LUCKYPHIL3007 said:

I suspect a lot may depend on what sort of tax obligations you have from your home country, and whether it has a double tax agreement (DTA) with Thailand.   If you come from a job (where such jobs exist, but IMHO are difficult to find employment in) that had no (or minimal) tax obligations in, say, your home country, then you may wish to limit your stay in Thailand to 179 days or less, as things seem to be changing in Thailand with regards to foreigners and taxes (impacting those, for example, on the Type-OA visa). This may or may not be relevant based on the DTA one's home country has with Thailand.

There is hope that the LTR-WP (wealthy pensioner) and LTR-WGC (wealthy global citizen) visas, may mean one on those visas may not need to restrict their stay to 179 days in Thailand (for taxation reasons), even if their overseas money has had minimal tax applied in their home country.  As you probably already know, a Thai Royal Decree states those on the Thailand LTR-WP & LTR-WGC are tax exempt from out-of-Thailand income, brought into Thailand.  That's nothing special perhaps for those whose home country has a DTA with Thailand, but not all will find the DTA helpful.  Those not on an LTR visa will need to pay careful attention to any tax obligations if their stay goes up to 180-days in Thailand.

Still, one great thing about Thailand is it has many Visas to offer. 

While visa exempt has been increased to 60-days for many country's citizens (for a permission to stay in Thailand), and a 30-day extension on that 'visa exempt' is possible, ... and further while visa runs can give one another 60-days ... its not 100% clear to me one can be assured of getting 60 days (initial visa exempt) + 30-days (visa exempt extension) + 60 days (another visa exempt after a border run) + 30 days (another visa exempt extension) for year after year after year.  Possibly one or more Thai border crossing IOs could be concerned one is working in Thailand for 50% of the year, and start denying entry.

If you are on a Type-OA visa for reason of retirement, I would suggest you look to change from a Type-OA to a Type-O visa, as the Health Insurance requirements for the Type-OA visa can be annoying (and more expensive) to meet - especially if you have superior health insurance from your home country that will cover you in Thailand. The chances are for extensions of your permission to stay in Thailand, your home country health insurance will not be accepted in Thailand for a Type-OA visa.  That could force you to change to Health Insurance from the Thai branch of a health insurance company (which may not be as good as your health insurance from your home country) or you could be forced to get double health insurance just to get a visa extension on the Type-OA (for reason of retirement) if you do not wish to give up your (hypothetical) superior home country health insurance.

Of course if you are always applying for a new Type-OA visa every year from your home country (as opposed to going the 1-year extension route) then these Health Insurance considerations for the Type-OA visa are less significant.

Currently there are no health insurance requirements for those on a Type-O visa.

Edited by oldcpu

On 9/4/2024 at 11:31 AM, Hummin said:

If you going to stay 6 months straight in Thailand, I would continue to renew my oa retirement visa. Less hassle for me, but this December is my last renewal, since I will only spend 2-3 months from 2026. 

For the last 5 years, I have spent 5 months each year in Thailand on Non-O retirement with multiple re-entry permit. As the OP already has a Non-O A visa it would be best to maintain that as it ensures entry with no questioning about time spent in the country - or worse, refusal of entry (which can happen on frequeunt visa exempt entries and long stays in country).

Edited by soi3eddie
  • Thumbs Up 1

22 minutes ago, soi3eddie said:

As the OP already has a Non-O A visa it would be best to maintain that as it ensures entry with no questioning about time spent in the country - or worse, refusal of entry (which can happen on frequeunt visa exempt entries and long stays in country)

Most likely the OP has 12 month extensions from a non O-A.

Annual extensions require insurance.

This would be almost worst option. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/4/2024 at 11:15 AM, maesariang said:

Use visa exempt. 60 days now.

Poor advise visa exempt is not designed to spend half the year in Thailand.

Single entry tourist visa or mulitple  entry tourist visa or Destination Thailand visa could be your best options.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Pattaya57 said:

I've spent 7-9 months every year in Thailand since 2017 using visa exempts (excluding covid 2 year lockout). Should be even easier now that it's 90 days per stay with the 60 day visa exempt + 30 day extension 

Also why would anyone get a 60 day SETV when visa exempt gives same 60 days

9 months a year on visa exempt since 2017 i dont believe you never heard of a single person being able to get away with that.

Valid point about visa exempt as oppose to setv since it currently offers same amount of days at present. However immigration will only let you get away with so many visa exempts per year before they ask you to get a visa thats 1 reason why people in Thailand for most of the year would still get the visa to decrease the chances of being denied at the airport for too many visa exempts.

• Confused 1

12 hours ago, bear9 said:

9 months a year on visa exempt since 2017 i dont believe you never heard of a single person being able to get away with that.

Are you are aware there are agent-services which guarantee entry to those doing serial visa-exempt entries?   See:

That's by air, but with the 2-per-calendar-year limit removed on land-entries, plus 60-days given, it's easier/cheaper than ever.

Edited by Rob Browder