Don’t kill the golden goose! Tax reforms may drive away expats

webfact

5 minutes ago, chiang mai said:

Do you have a problem with me thinking something or having a particular belief?

"FWIW I think an AVERAGE spend of 65k per month across all long stay visa holders is far too high". 

And I suppose you do understand how averages work, don't you! In order to have an average of 65k, there would be highs and lows that went well above and well below that figure in order to arrive at an average of 65k. That would include the circle of people you know and a lot of pensioners on the maximum UK State Pension of 221 Pounds per week, which is only 41k baht per month.

Its all about the quality of life. I prefer to do whatever I want and live my life to the fullest.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, flexomike said:

Well of course the country doesn't run on expats, but a lot of small communities are greatly helped by the money that they spend, mom and pop shops hiring laborers supporting all the businesses in the neighborhood. Thailand as a country will not be hurt by expats departing but a lot of people will be. I have several people that I hire on a regular basis and if I leave they loose my financial input.

Agreed, the problem is those at the top care not one iota about the people below them in the society hierarchy and that includes farang.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, ukrules said:

That's not going to happen, it's pretty much a global thing with perhaps one notable exception where they genuinely believe they're special and tax their citizens globally regardless of residency.

Unfortunately the <180 day or half year rule is not a generally accepted principle. E.g. my home country applies the concept of main residence irrespective of time spent, and I think Germany starts taxing  > 3 months (consecutive?) stays.