What’s the best area in Thailand for expats to settle for long-term living?

3 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

It's not mandatory to go to bars and clubbing, but many think that's all there is

I just do not need to convince you, but when living in Pattaya, it for enjoying all of its oppertunities and venues. Living in the back side districts of pattya in a town house, or inside fences in a western soi with no view? I I was living in Jomtien or Pattaya for sure I would have beach view, and live central as possible. 

Just accept we have different views and check lists for a good quality life. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

21 hours ago, geisha said:

There’s lots of pretty nice places to live in Thailand , but they would bore me stupid after a month. Holiday, yes.

I would agree with you... I have been here for over 20 years plus. I lived in the Essan Countryside... it changed how I lived... Get everything done before dark. However, that was only 3 years.   Hard learning, I thought I wanted quiet and distance... only to find out that quiet is nice for  2-3 days, and distance...close to a food shop  I like a detached house and the next house is about at least 20 feet away.  Good Fences apply here.   I suppose it is the phases of expat life.    However, I would rather live in Thailand than back in my part of the USA..WESTCOAST... Cheers mate

squirrel-8592682.jpg.bf8399df2466bb8f8a7568d807f74cd0.jpg

On 9/13/2024 at 5:40 PM, GarryP said:

There are a lot of haters of the rural life in Thailand. I moved up to North Kalasin about 18 months ago after living and working in Bangkok for about 40 years. Very different lifestyle, but not too rural (living on the edge of a very small district town). I love the countryside up here and exploring on my MTB. However, it is certainly not for everyone. While loners (recluses) may be okay with it, it must be difficult for those who don't speak the language and have to rely on others for everything. Having a social life and a natter with other westerners can be quite difficult too as there are so few and no local watering holes to meet up where I am. Luckily for me language isn't an issue, so I have the opportunity to shoot the breeze with the locals every now and then.   

What's not to love?  :thumbsup:  Well, other than that burning in the background.  Lumyai season.  They cut the trees back after harvest and burn the branches.  Not bad this time of year as there is rain, wind, and no inversion layer.  In March you wouldn't be able to see those mountains.  Burn season is the primary Suck out here.  The other 9 months are great!  Imho. 

457889005_1037824654463769_2875223389523512978_n.jpg.b0ce188227d78091f96f701b4b22a88e.jpg

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, connda said:

What's not to love?  :thumbsup:  Well, other than that burning in the background.  Lumyai season.  They cut the trees back after harvest and burn the branches.  Not bad this time of year as there is rain, wind, and no inversion layer.  In March you wouldn't be able to see those mountains.  Burn season is the primary Suck out here.  The other 9 months are great!  Imho. 

457889005_1037824654463769_2875223389523512978_n.jpg.b0ce188227d78091f96f701b4b22a88e.jpg

It sounds and looks like the dream in many ways. But if you like spa massages, Central Festival shopping and a large choice of restaurants then it's not ideal. Unless you can have a place like this within 30 or 40 minutes of Chiang Mai, which you could I guess.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, connda said:

Since they finished taking out all of the stop lights on Highway 11 and put in fly-over bridges instead three years ago the 75 kilometer drive to the fly-over bridge next to Central Airport is 1 hour or less.
If I want "city" it's a reasonable drive.  It I want "small city" Lamphun is 1/2 hour away.  But where I live is sandwiched between two mountain ranges with a National Park on one side and state forests on the other.  And the Chiang Mai-Bangkok rail-line goes through our village to boot.  Far enough away to be remote; close enough if I have need to want "city." 
It works for me!  :thumbsup:

That does sound like a good set up. Beautiful place for sure.

21 hours ago, Hummin said:

I just do not need to convince you

Of what?

when living in Pattaya, it for enjoying all of its oppertunities and venues.

ALL don't have to be enjoyed for a contented life as an expat in Pattaya. Judicious selection is key, just as it is anywhere. Evidently, you weren't aware of all the other advantages of living in Pattaya.

On 9/14/2024 at 2:27 PM, Hummin said:

now at 55 and married I'm not especially up for clubbing anymore which was one of the reasons I thought Pattaya was worth a visit before.

NOT esp. up for clubbing, so @scubascuba3's answer was perfectly reasonable and reassuring. Most expats aren't; been there, did that, now lead settled lives. So you recommended

On 9/14/2024 at 2:27 PM, Hummin said:

For those who want to live in Thailand and move here, I would say, do the Pattaya and tourist places first, and then find a good place for a quiet life

Are YOU not one of those who want to live in Thailand and move here, needing to find a good place for a quiet life? I recommended a number of areas in Pattaya for just that. Local clubs in those areas as well. Then what are you on about?

You seem to be becoming more incoherent in the quest to find reasons to justify an irrational dislike of Pattaya.

Living in the back side districts of pattya in a town house, or inside fences in a western soi with no view? I I was living in Jomtien or Pattaya for sure I would have beach view, and live central as possible. 

Different topic, but fine beach views exist in ALL the areas I mentioned except for Lake Maprachan, where you could enjoy a lake view.

How is the desire to live "central as possible" consistent with "a quiet life" and "not especially up for clubbing?" But two friends of mine have lived quiet lives in nice buildings w/ sea views on Beach Road for many years. Step outside, cross the road to the beach or just hop into a Bolt waiting to take you wherever you wish. 

Wherein lies the disagreement?

Edited by BigStar
  • Like 1

Just now, save the frogs said:

I'm wondering if you're one of those folks who refuses to admit to himself and to other folks on AN that they made a poor decision to go live up sticks in middle of nowhere Isaan. 

Why? I have a great experience living there for a few years, and it is only a few months a year it is not especially human, and I have options. First rule, do not get stuck, have a plan b. 

I regret none of my major life experiences, and this have been a major one.

If I'm going to regret anything, it must be travel to Thailand in the first place?

God knows what I would had done different if I did not arrive here in first place and spent about 20mill take it leave it, and invested that in real estate and continued working 120% as I had done previously.

The answer is quite simple and best described by Aussie crooner Kevin Wilson when he sang the immortal words

"But me new method is, you just cut through the <deleted>. And get down to the goodies straight off:"

Inotherwards.

Soi 6..........

1 hour ago, BigStar said:

Of what?

ALL don't have to be enjoyed for a contented life as an expat in Pattaya. Judicious selection is key, just as it is anywhere. Evidently, you weren't aware of all the other advantages of living in Pattaya.

NOT esp. up for clubbing, so @scubascuba3's answer was perfectly reasonable and reassuring. Most expats aren't; been there, did that, now lead settled lives. So you recommended

Are YOU not one of those who want to live in Thailand and move here, needing to find a good place for a quiet life? I recommended a number of areas in Pattaya for just that. Local clubs in those areas as well. Then what are you on about?

You seem to be becoming more incoherent in the quest to find reasons to justify an irrational dislike of Pattaya.

Different topic, but fine beach views exist in ALL the areas I mentioned except for Lake Maprachan, where you could enjoy a lake view.

How is the desire to live "central as possible" consistent with "a quiet life" and "not especially up for clubbing?" But two friends of mine have lived quiet lives in nice buildings w/ sea views on Beach Road for many years. Step outside, cross the road to the beach or just hop into a Bolt waiting to take you wherever you wish. 

Wherein lies the disagreement?

I agree, it was poor written, but having this debate over Koh Phangan as a greater location for me personally, and getting heat for my reasons for why I do not think Pattaya suits me, is hilarious 😂 

Same as I choose being married for various reasons, and not being a ST guy, also creates longer discussions with exactly the same people over and over in a never ending circle.

Seems arguing Pattaya and ST is sensitive topics for some.

Edited by Hummin

I just do not need to convince you, but when living in Pattaya, it for enjoying all of its oppertunities and venues. Living in the back side districts of pattya in a town house, or inside fences in a western soi with no view? I I was living in Jomtien or Pattaya for sure I would have beach view, and live central as possible. 

That's the great thing about Pattaya.  It can accommodate lots of 'different views and check lists for a good quality of life'.  You'll have your view and checklist, and I'll have mine, which likely is far different, but nothing wrong with that.  What floats your boat. 

When my spouse and I were younger and first moved to Pattaya, like you, we wanted a location to live at with a beach view.  And, preferably oceanfront.  We're in a beach town, we want to be on the beach, right?

And, we got it.  We started with an oceanfront 1-bedroom condo at VT3.  Then moved to a 2-bedroom oceanfront at Lumpini Park Beach in south Jomtien, followed by a 3-bedroom oceanfront condo in Wong Amat--with a number of other condo stops in-between--not all oceanfront but all with ocean and beach views.  It was great for that stage of our lives.

As we got older, we found we wanted more privacy, more space, and more bedrooms to accommodate visits from family.  Again, no problem with Pattaya accommodating one of our changing needs.  We are now in a large 4-bedroom pool villa on the Darkside, which fits where we are now in our lives.  

Although our housing need changed, other needs didn't.  We still like to see movies in English.  I still like good and interesting shopping choices--I have several favorite Japanese import stores I like here and I bought a beautiful antique Japanese wall scroll this weekend.   We've been car shopping this year and we appreciate all the many car brands we now have to choose from in Pattaya--and, good to not have to go a long distance for service.

We're both trying to stay in shape so we like that we are able to have a membership to use the very nice gym at one of Pattaya's big resorts.  We love to eat out, that didn't change, so, of course, we like the extensive dining choices Pattaya has to offer, with new restaurants opening all the time.  

Spouse still likes to play badminton and there are 3 or 4 courts, maybe more, in Pattaya, including one less than 5 minutes from our house.  We still like the good health care Pattaya has and being close to both Bangkok and the airports when we travel.  

As I said in an earlier post, Pattaya checks more of the 'needs' boxes we have, and it can still check them when some of the needs change. 

27 minutes ago, save the frogs said:

I'm wondering if you're one of those folks who refuses to admit to himself and to other folks on AN that they made a poor decision to go live up sticks in middle of nowhere Isaan. 

Not in my case. Right from the start of retirement "up in the sticks" in Lanna, it was the best decision I made and I never regretted it. I eventually moved across to Khon Kaen in Isaan still enjoying my retirement.  The lifestyle down south was never of interest to me - other than Kanchanburi and the Burma Railway.

• Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Usually when someone trashes Pattaya they are just wrong so it's hard to ignore, bear in mind i avoided Pattaya for 15 years, at least it gave me an opportunity to travel around Thailand 

I was not bashing pattaya here, I was just stating Koh Phangan have better diving, trials for motorbikes and hiking, padling, and have quite a large diversity on such a small Island compare to Pattaya, and not what so ever traffic. Easy  Island hopping, or just fly out from Koh Samui just one hour ferry transport from habour to airport. 

Edited by Hummin

11 minutes ago, Hummin said:

I was not bashing pattaya here, I was just stating Koh Phangan have better diving, trials for motorbikes and hiking, padling, and have quite a large diversity on such a small Island compare to Pattaya, and not what so ever traffic. Easy  Island hopping, or just fly out from Koh Samui just one hour ferry transport from habour to airport. 

I think you need to distinguish between an interesting place to visit vs. a place you would want to live year-round.  It can be a big difference.   For me, from your description, Koh Phangan would fall into a place I'd probably only enjoy for a visit, since I don't ride motorbikes or dive ,or do much hiking or paddling.  None of those activities would appear on my needs list when I am looking for a place to live year-round.   I have visited a half-dozen islands and did enjoy the short visits but for year-round living?  Not for me, but, perhaps, just the ticket for someone else.

A place having 'better diving' doesn't count for much if you don't have any interest in diving.  On the other hand, I eat 3 meals a day and love to eat out so a place having lots of different restaurants does count for much. For me, it comes down to checking the needs boxes.  

• Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, newnative said:

I think you need to distinguish between an interesting place to visit vs. a place you would want to live year-round.  It can be a big difference.   For me, from your description, Koh Phangan would fall into a place I'd probably only enjoy for a visit, since I don't ride motorbikes or dive ,or do much hiking or paddling.  None of those activities would appear on my needs list when I am looking for a place to live year-round.   I have visited a half-dozen islands and did enjoy the short visits but for year-round living?  Not for me, but, perhaps, just the ticket for someone else.

A place having 'better diving' doesn't count for much if you don't have any interest in diving.  On the other hand, I eat 3 meals a day and love to eat out so a place having lots of different restaurants does count for much. For me, it comes down to checking the needs boxes.  

I just stated I could resettle anytime at Koh Phangan. Later  I had to argue why Koh Phangan is better than Pattaya because Pattaya had everything I wanted 😂

So? 

1 hour ago, Hummin said:

I just stated I could resettle anytime at Koh Phangan. Later  I had to argue why Koh Phangan is better than Pattaya because Pattaya had everything I wanted 😂

So? 

So, I'm not sure I'm understanding your post.  For me, it's not a question of whether one place is 'better' than another place.  For me, it's what place has more of what I want in a place to live, knowing that no place is going to have 'everything', including the place I do live, Pattaya.   

• Agree 1

On 9/12/2024 at 11:52 PM, shdmn said:

Hua Hin was voted 3rd best place in the world to retire last year by some website.  Maybe Forbes.  Very subjective but I personally think Hua Hin is pretty nice and not yet ruined by over tourism and over development like Phuket and Pattaya have been imo.  Still has the benefit of being relatively close to BKK, just like Pattaya.  The new double tracks make train travel faster and the Rama II upgrade through Bangkok, scheduled for completion middle of next year,  should reduce the road trip from 2.5-3 hours down to maybe 2.

https://www.huahintoday.com/local-news/rama-2-road-works-to-be-completed-by-2025-govt-spokesperson/

Cha-am is also nice for people who want an even quieter pace than Hua Hin and want to be a little closer to Bkk.

I'm slightly south of Hua Hin ..  on the west side of the highway  so it's only 15 minutes to town and to the beaches ..  beautiful, quiet, and no neighbors up my ***

If you're a beach guy I'd look for a place where the water is clear most of the year. Pick a place slightly away from touristy but close enough for the convenience of food and shopping and Medical services. I can make it to Pattaya in 30 min by M 7 but then to the Malls could be another 30 min when traffic is bad.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Hummin said:

getting heat for my reasons for why I do not think Pattaya suits me, is hilarious

Nobody cares if you don't think Pattaya suits you. The topic is about the best place for expats to settle for long-term living. Why not just give your recommendation and be done with it? Yet you absolutely needed to perpetuate superficial stereotypes about Pattaya that merely revealed you don't know much about the place. In the course of which, we discovered your objections didn't make a lot of sense. And so you realized, as is evident by your refusal to answer questions.

Meanwhile, you carefully failed to mention the notable disadvantages of living in your chosen paradise. Actually, some of these aren't a matter of mere preference. For older expats, having excellent government hospitals and a variety of good private hospitals nearby and conveniently accessed, as in Pattaya, is a matter of necessity--for those not in denial. 

16 hours ago, Hummin said:

Seems arguing Pattaya and ST is sensitive topics for some.

It's only matter of public duty to debunk your Pattaya stereotyping, whether you cooperate or not. Losing battle, to be sure.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1