Date of exit stamp if flight at 1a.m.? Recent experiences?

Never got a straight answer on this in the past even from our most esteemed knowledge of immigration members 

one thing for sure. If your flight cancels and this is 100 percent confirmed. When you are sent back immigration your exit stamp is “cancelled” . You do not get a new entry. For the “leave on the last day of permit to stay this means overstay, with a valid excuse of course 

Happened to me twice. Once years ago Northwest Airlines BKK and just last month Narita airport The Japanese did the same thing cancelled my exit and put me back on original permit to stay date. They called it Shukkoku Torikeshi 「出国取り消し」

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, ballpoint said:

The date in your passport will be the date that the immigration officer stamps it.  I've departed on a number of flights in the midnight - 01:00 time range, and the date on the stamp has always been for the day before the actual departure date.

Thx for this. 

This is even the case if you show them the boarding pass?

Obviously you're asking as hard up against expiry date of visa but bear in mind you have one days grace with no 500 Baht fine anyway as its always been

I uploaded before my exit stamp last Christmas Day one full day over with comments wriiten in Thai translated by ex wife as "no problem" when I was stamped in until only the 24th

1 hour ago, Lorry said:

Not at all

Counting days for tax reasons

(So, I am not interested in answers concerned about overstay fines etc)

You are so worried about 180 day tax rule but willing to risk leaving 1 hour before midnight on the 179th day. What if your flight's cancelled or your taxi gets a flat and you miss your flight. You'll be screwed 😉

Edited by Pattaya57
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Lorry said:

Thx for this. 

This is even the case if you show them the boarding pass?

Yes.  I always hand over the boarding pass with my passport.

I've always gone through immigration before 23:00 too, so don't know what time they change their stamp dates over. I imagine it would happen at midnight. 

Conversely, I wonder what would happen if you arrived in the country at, say, 23:00 and took your time going through arrival immigration, waiting till after midnight?  It'd probably take that long anyway, with queues, but if you got to the front and kept letting the person behind you go first until midnight, would you gain a day?

3 hours ago, ballpoint said:

Yes.  I always hand over the boarding pass with my passport.

I've always gone through immigration before 23:00 too, so don't know what time they change their stamp dates over. I imagine it would happen at midnight. 

Conversely, I wonder what would happen if you arrived in the country at, say, 23:00 and took your time going through arrival immigration, waiting till after midnight?  It'd probably take that long anyway, with queues, but if you got to the front and kept letting the person behind you go first until midnight, would you gain a day?

Thx for your answers.

About your question: I went through old threads before opening this one, and at least one person posted that he got the arrival stamp for the date his flight landed. Visible from the boarding pass.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Pattaya57 said:

You are so worried about 180 day tax rule but willing to risk leaving 1 hour before midnight on the 179th day. What if your flight's cancelled or your taxi gets a flat and you miss your flight. You'll be screwed 😉

You are right, of course. 

In my case,  I don't need to absolutel leave on day 179 for tax reasons - it wouldn't be a big problem to leave later and be a tax resident in 2024. A bit inconvenient, and may cost me a couple of hundred dollar.

But it happens that my planned flight would be on day 180, so it wouldn't hurt to leave on day 179 - a bit inconvenient, too, and cost 100 dollar. 

So I wanted to know what to expect. Ballpoint's answer helped me.

10 hours ago, Lorry said:

In my case,  I don't need to absolutel leave on day 179 for tax reasons - it wouldn't be a big problem to leave later and be a tax resident in 2024. A bit inconvenient, and may cost me a couple of hundred dollar.

But it happens that my planned flight would be on day 180, so it wouldn't hurt to leave on day 179 - a bit inconvenient, too, and cost 100 dollar. 

For heavens sake. 

Surely you can stay few days short of 180 days with alternative flight.

As posted by others the assumption from your OP would be concern with one day overstay.

• Agree 1

25 minutes ago, Lorry said:

just don’t go through immigration until 12:01