Message from Outlook

Aforek

Hello, I have received this message from Outlook ( translated from French to  English by Google translate, may be some ( few ) mistakes ) 

I must say that I don't understand completely what they mean and what and where to download what they say

ok to do what they say ; I have what they call "Outlook (new ) 

I have an  old gmail , do I have something to do with it ? and an address in gmail.com and hotmail.fr

Here is the message 

"On September 16, 2024, apps that use less secure sign-in technology will no longer be able to access your email. The security of your information is Microsoft’s top priority. To help keep your account secure, Microsoft will no longer support third-party email and calendar apps that require you to sign in with just your Microsoft account username and password. To increase your security, you’ll need to use an email or calendar app that supports Microsoft’s modern authentication methods. If you don’t take action, your third-party email apps will no longer be able to access your Outlook.com, Hotmail, or Live.com email address on September 16, 2024. What should you do? If you’re receiving this email, you’re currently using an email or calendar app that uses a less secure authentication method to sign in to your Outlook.com email account. You’ll need to upgrade your third-party email and calendar apps to a version that supports modern authentication methods. Microsoft offers free versions of Outlook for your PC and Mac, iOS, and Android devices that can be easily downloaded and connected to your email account. Using an updated version of an Outlook app ensures that you’re signing in in the most secure way. How can you set up your Gmail, Apple Mail, or third-party email app? Different non-Microsoft apps will have their own way to sign in to your Outlook.com email account with modern authentication methods. See our help article, “Modern authentication methods now required to continue syncing Outlook email in non-Microsoft email apps.” However, you may need to contact the makers of those apps for instructions. In many cases, simply removing and re-adding your account with the latest version of that app will set it up to use modern authentication methods."

Thank  you for your help 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, johng said:

They want you to update your email client (Outlook)  to the newest version.

Yes that's the ideal scenario from their point of view.....

I received similar for Outlook 2007 and for Thunderbird which I use to manage a number of other email addresses. I am not sure if this is the same as the OP as my message was received 6 weeks ago.....

This was the message I got and then there was a link to sort it out. 

You need an app password
We've noticed that you've tried to sign in with the password for your Microsoft account on one of these apps or devices. Since you've turned on two-step verification for (email removed), you need to use an app password instead for any of the following to work with two-step verification. We've sent this reminder to all of the security info you've provided. If you haven't already done this, we'll help you set up these apps and devices with app passwords:
  • Outlook desktop app for your PC or Mac
  • Email apps on an iOS, Android or BlackBerry device
  • Office 2010, Office for Mac 2011 or earlier
  • Windows Essentials (Photo Gallery, Movie Maker, Mail)
  • Zune desktop app
  • Xbox 360
  • Windows Phone 8 or earlier
Set up my apps and devices

Edited by cdnvic
Removed email as per rules.

3 hours ago, johng said:

They want you to update your email client (Outlook)  to the newest version.

I get a similar message every time I log into my email account.

Stupidly there is no way to stop or block this message without blocking the email account. Outlook worked for me and I don't need or need to upgrade it. They also tell me that I will have ALL my email accounts upgraded, whether I want them upgraded or not, like it or not.