Temporary Steel Bridge in Wang Thong Collapses as Sand Truck Attempts to Cross

Georgealbert

IMG_5613.jpeg

Picture courtesy of Sukhothai Highway Department

In an incident during the morning of September 15, a temporary steel bridge in Wang Thong, Si Samrong District, Sukhothai Province, collapsed when an overloaded sand truck attempted to cross. The Sukhothai Highway Department has since announced a complete road closure and advised motorists to take alternative routes.

The incident occurred on Highway No. 1195 between Tevet Nai and Wang Mai Khon. The bridge, which was built as a temporary solution after flooding damaged the road, gave way under the weight of the truck. The vehicle plunged into the water, causing significant damage to the structure.

Authorities had previously placed warning signs at the site, prohibiting vehicles over eight tons from crossing. Despite this, the sand truck exceeded the weight limit, leading to the collapse.

The Sukhothai Highway Department is currently assessing the damage and working on a repair plan.

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-09-16

Cigna Banner (500x100) (1).png

image.png

• Sad 2
  • Haha 2

The mind set of these characters is outstanding.. 

Perhaps they needed a 'bridge guard' who would prevent him from crossing the bridge.

I see regular traffic Jams near the Port in Bangkok, as articulated lorries pull up to the toll booths and are then prevented access (only covered fixed trucks permitted), I still see pickups with stuff flying out of them them, though, and uncovered pickups carrying items are not permitted either. 

It doesn't matter - on Thailands roads where there is a regulation for the safety and benefit of everyone else - there are a queue of drivers waiting to 'ignore' that regulation with complete disregard for any of the other drivers and people around them...

... Be it blowing through and not stopping for red lights... undercutting on the hard shoulder, going too fast down hills (leading to brake failure), overtaking while there are oncoming vehicles, pulling out of a side street without looking etc etc and on and on... the list is endless, the results are nearly always the same - major damage and traffic loss of limb and / or life.

--------

Doing the rounds on social medial last week, there was another video of another bridge in Thailand collapsing under the weight of a truck...  I couldn't find that video to post here, but in running the search I found another common theme - Lots of similar events in the USA...    overweight vehicles with drivers completely ignoring signs and common sense attempting to use 'reduce load' bridges with the same results. 

Edited by richard_smith237

9 hours ago, Georgealbert said:

The incident occurred on Highway No. 1195 between Tevet Nai and Wang Mai Khon. The bridge, which was built as a temporary solution after flooding damaged the road, gave way under the weight of the truck. The vehicle plunged into the water, causing significant damage to the structure

Authorities had previously placed warning signs at the site, prohibiting vehicles over eight tons from crossing. Despite this, the sand truck exceeded the weight limit, leading to the collapse.

I hope he's well insured.

On 9/16/2024 at 12:42 AM, Gottfrid said:

I can see once again, the great experience and knowledge of Thai truck drivers. I child could see that bridge is not going to hold for a trailer truck loaded with sand.

Really, and what science do you base that on? It seems to be largely on racist principles.

Edited by kwilco

On 9/16/2024 at 5:21 AM, richard_smith237 said:

The mind set of these characters is outstanding.. 

Perhaps they needed a 'bridge guard' who would prevent him from crossing the bridge.

I see regular traffic Jams near the Port in Bangkok, as articulated lorries pull up to the toll booths and are then prevented access (only covered fixed trucks permitted), I still see pickups with stuff flying out of them them, though, and uncovered pickups carrying items are not permitted either. 

It doesn't matter - on Thailands roads where there is a regulation for the safety and benefit of everyone else - there are a queue of drivers waiting to 'ignore' that regulation with complete disregard for any of the other drivers and people around them...

... Be it blowing through and not stopping for red lights... undercutting on the hard shoulder, going too fast down hills (leading to brake failure), overtaking while there are oncoming vehicles, pulling out of a side street without looking etc etc and on and on... the list is endless, the results are nearly always the same - major damage and traffic loss of limb and / or life.

--------

Doing the rounds on social medial last week, there was another video of another bridge in Thailand collapsing under the weight of a truck...  I couldn't find that video to post here, but in running the search I found another common theme - Lots of similar events in the USA...    overweight vehicles with drivers completely ignoring signs and common sense attempting to use 'reduce load' bridges with the same results. 

Utter stuff and nonsense = total racist bigotry!

9 hours ago, kwilco said:

Really, and what science do you base that on? It seems to be largely on racist principles.

I don´t need science for that, only common sense. That is something that you seem to have a lack of, as you use the expression racist. Look below:

1. prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism by an individual, community, or institution against a person or people on the basis of their membership of a particular racial or ethnic group, typically one that is a minority or marginalized:
    "a programme to combat racism"
    • the belief that different races possess distinct characteristics, abilities, or qualities, especially so as to distinguish them as inferior or superior to one another:
      "theories of racism"

I am sorry to deliver it to you, but if you do not see the truck drivers as a race or ethnic group, which is impossible, you are using the expression in the wrong way.