passport required for domestic flights? I have a Thai DL

StandardIssue

I have to renew my passport soon as it will expire in about 9 months but would like to do some Thailand domestic flight traveling while the embassy is processing it. Can I fly using my Thai drivers license as ID?

I know I can use it to stay in hotels .. never had any problems using a Thai DL to stay in hotels but to board a plane I think I heard that they changed the rules??

any help appreciated. THIS QUESTION IS FOR DOMESTIC IN COUNTRY FLIGHTS.

If not I guess I'll have to use the trains or bus it around.

Edited by StandardIssue

3 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

#1) 'Sometimes' a driving licence may be accepted for domestic flight travel (there are reports of posters doing this) - though experience with this varies (there is no certainty or definite yes / no answer)

#2) A Pink ID card will be accepted for domestic travel (I've done this) - but if you don't have a Pink ID then its a hassle to get one and you'll need your passport anyway to obtain one.

#3) When you apply for a replacement passport, one would usually hold on to their existing passport until their replacement passport is available...

... and then the corner is clipped off the old passport when you are issued with your new passport - thus its highly unlikely you'll be without a passport unless your embassy does things differently.

3rd point negates the issue.

Ok, well I was under the impression I'd be without a passport while the US embassy is processing the new one. I will have to check on that.. this changes everything. If I can keep the old one and still use it while the new one is being processed. Seems to me I had to give up the old one while the new one was being processed and made. If done by mail it's required to mail the old passport to the US embassy.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, StandardIssue said:

Ok, well I was under the impression I'd be without a passport while the US embassy is processing the new one. I will have to check on that.. this changes everything. If I can keep the old one and still use it while the new one is being processed. Seems to me I had to give up the old one while the new one was being processed and made. If done by mail it's required to mail the old passport to the US embassy.

As I'm British - I can only answer that  we are not left without our passport, the reason for this is that its regulation in Thailand that we (foreigners) are required to present Government Issued Photo ID upon request (from a Commissioned Police officer or an Immigration Officer) - and the Passport is uniformly accepted as this form of Government Issued Photo ID.

Other US Passport Holders will surely be along here soon to respond to this. 

BUT... IF you are in doubt - it would be wise to call up your US Embassy and secure comfirmation. 

Additionally, are you applying for renewal in person, or remotely, via post or an agent (as this may have an impact on whether or not you keep your passport in your possession or not).

• Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, StandardIssue said:

As per Khunjeff's response - it would appear that the US Embassies leave their citizens in the lurch by holding onto the replacement passport.

(this in itself compromises Thailand regulations to be able to carry government issued ID at all times)

Hopefully the renewal time with the US Embassies is significantly faster than the 4-7 weeks it takes the UK to renew a passport.

3 minutes ago, khunjeff said:

The US embassy (OP is American) will keep his current passport during the renewal process and then return both the old one (with holes punched through the cover) and the new one by mail. So, he will indeed be without a passport for a few weeks.

4 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

As I'm British - I can only answer that  we are not left without our passport, the reason for this is that its regulation in Thailand that we (foreigners) are required to present Government Issued Photo ID upon request (from a Commissioned Police officer or an Immigration Officer) - and the Passport is uniformly accepted as this form of Government Issued Photo ID.

Other US Passport Holders will surely be along here soon to respond to this. 

BUT... IF you are in doubt - it would be wise to call up your US Embassy and secure comfirmation. 

Additionally, are you applying for renewal in person, or remotely, via post or an agent (as this may have an impact on whether or not you keep your passport in your possession or not).

6 minutes ago, khunjeff said:

The US embassy (OP is American) will keep his current passport during the renewal process and then return both the old one (with holes punched through the cover) and the new one by mail. So, he will indeed be without a passport for a few weeks.

Thats what I thought. I had done a renewal before at the BKK embassy 10 years ago. It had been so long I had forgotten but yes, they did keep it as I think they need to send it back to the states to get a new passport generated. They have no printing facilities to make passports here from what I know.

Renewal is 4-6 weeks so you know I'll be making copies of all the appopriate stams and thankfully I have a Thai drivers license which should be enough in the unlikely event I get asked for my passport. (this has never happened to me in my 12 years of living in Thailand on and off)

Edited by StandardIssue
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, StandardIssue said:

Thats what I thought. I had done a renewal before at the BKK embassy 10 years ago. It had been so long I had forgotten but yes, they did keep it as I think they need to send it back to the states to get a new passport generated. They have no printing facilities to make passports here from what I know.

I know were talking about a US Visa...     however, the British Embassy also does not have printing facilities etc...   the VFS centre simply accepts our application (with photo copies of every page of the old passport), but we do not hand the passport over, we continue using it in country until the new passport is collected, at which point the old passport is clipped. 

It seems the US Passport Offices operate differently - which kind of leaves its overseas citizens vulnerable with regards to being able to produce ID if needed.

20 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

#1) 'Sometimes' a driving licence may be accepted for domestic flight travel (there are reports of posters doing this) - though experience with this varies (there is no certainty or definite yes / no answer)

#2) A Pink ID card will be accepted for domestic travel (I've done this) - but if you don't have a Pink ID then its a hassle to get one and you'll need your passport anyway to obtain one.

#3) When you apply for a replacement passport, one would usually hold on to their existing passport until their replacement passport is available...

... and then the corner is clipped off the old passport when you are issued with your new passport - thus its highly unlikely you'll be without a passport unless your embassy does things differently.

3rd point negates the issue.

A pink card s only valid in the province in which it's issued. largely depends where the airport is. Air Asia refused my card!

• Like 1

Just now, edwardflory said:

PINK ID CARD,  and a YELOW HOUSE BOOK, make life MUCH easier in Thailand.

They help to open bank accounts, travel, and other things by showing you are a """resident"""

A driver license is not that powerful but is very useful.

If I could impose, what do I need to do to get a "pink" ID card. I stay in Bangkok. Is it a big hassle? If it will be a good substitute for flying while my passport is in process and doesn't take much to obtain, I might just get one.

1 minute ago, Ganoga said:

You can renew your passport at any time and may renew your passport by mail while you are in Thailand, please see the detailed instructions here https://th.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/passports/adult-passport-renew/. Passport renewal process may take up to 6 to 8 weeks from when we receive the complete application package. 

Please note that expedited service is unavailable when applying for U.S. passport overseas.

However, we could return your current valid passport while the new one is processing. You are required to do the following when preparing your application package:

• If the page is in Thai, please use languages/translate function at the top right corner of the page,
  • complete all required information, see *asterisks,
  • Please ensure to provide the applicant’s full name and accurate returning address when purchasing the envelope.
  • Write on application checklist as “Need to have current valid passport returned.”

You will be asked to mail in your current passport for cancellation as soon as a new passport is ready. Your new passport will not be mailed until we have cancelled your current passport.

Regards,

American Citizens Services Unit

U.S. Embassy Bangkok

OK! well this is great. I think something has changed then. I'll be doing it in person as I live nearby and don't like the idea of mailing my passport in Thai post. I'll just ask for it back at the appointment. This is great news!! thanks very much for your help.

Edited by StandardIssue

22 minutes ago, prakhonchai nick said:

A pink card s only valid in the province in which it's issued. largely depends where the airport is. Air Asia refused my card!

My Pink Card was accepted by Thai Airways (no issues) - but I understand there is never a consistent from one year to the next or from one airline to another.

Experience varies... I don't travel without my Passport due to the potential need to have it at hand (in the event I'm in another province and the Police want to see the passport etc)..

But, my passport remains in my Bag, its easier to check-in with the Pink ID as its right there in my wallet - just easier to access. 

AND... the comment about the Pink ID only being accepted in the province of issue - thats technically true, yet that seems to matter little when its been accepted all over Thailand for checking in at Airports and use in hotels etc...

5 minutes ago, VirgoSG said:

You absolutely can use your Thai driving licence as photo ID for domestic flights.

In January this year, the Civil Aviation Authority of Thailand issued a weird statement that basically "encouraged" the use of a passport by non-Thai domestic passengers.  However, the CAAT statement also said:

"If non-Thai passengers traveling on domestic flights lose or are unable to present their identification documents, they must provide one of the following documents.

• Emergency Passport (Original) or Emergency Travel Certificate (Original)

• Non-Thai ID Card issued by Department of Provincial Administration of Thailand (Original)

Driving License issued by Department of Land Transport of Thailand (Original)

These will be effective as of January 16, 2024"

I have flown multiple times domestically since January, and have continued to use only my driving licence as check-in and boarding ID (as I have for the past 12 years).  

You can also look at airline websites such as Vietjet or Bangkok Airways and there they clearly say exactly the same thing.

So, relax, you are good to travel without your passport domestically.

Also, as far as hotels are concerned, I always use my driving licence.  The once or twice in 12 years that they have insisted on a passport, I have immediately emailed or WhastApped a photo of the main passport page and they have been totally happy with that.

This is excellent advice - 

Do you have a quite citing the original 'legal' source of this information ?

It could be good to show in the event of encountering a 'jobsworth' at check-in. 

21 minutes ago, Ganoga said:

You can renew your passport at any time and may renew your passport by mail while you are in Thailand, please see the detailed instructions here https://th.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/passports/adult-passport-renew/. Passport renewal process may take up to 6 to 8 weeks from when we receive the complete application package. 

Please note that expedited service is unavailable when applying for U.S. passport overseas.

However, we could return your current valid passport while the new one is processing. You are required to do the following when preparing your application package:

• If the page is in Thai, please use languages/translate function at the top right corner of the page,
  • complete all required information, see *asterisks,
  • Please ensure to provide the applicant’s full name and accurate returning address when purchasing the envelope.
  • Write on application checklist as “Need to have current valid passport returned.”

You will be asked to mail in your current passport for cancellation as soon as a new passport is ready. Your new passport will not be mailed until we have cancelled your current passport.

Regards,

American Citizens Services Unit

U.S. Embassy Bangkok

OK - so it would appear the original (old) passport still needs to be submitted, but it will be returned immediately *(via post) while the new passport is being processed. 

8 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

OK - so it would appear the original (old) passport still needs to be submitted, but it will be returned immediately *(via post) while the new passport is being processed. 

Had no idea about requesting the old passport back quickly.  Without that request working, OP will be without a passport for 3-4 weeks. Or at least that's how it worked for me (US passport) a year or so ago.  

As to flying only with a Thai driver's license, I don't know but there have been multiple postings by people saying they have done just that for domestic flights.  Obviously, might be wise to have on hand a decent photocopy of your passport photo/info page as well as a photocopy of your current permission to stay.

Edited by CMBob
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

12 minutes ago, CMBob said:

Had no idea about requesting the old passport back quickly.  Without that request working, OP will be without a passport for 3-4 weeks. Or at least that's how it worked for me (US passport) a year or so ago.  

As to flying only with a Thai driver's license, I don't know but there have been multiple postings by people saying they have done just that for domestic flights.  Obviously, might be wise to have on hand a decent photocopy of your passport photo/info page as well as a photocopy of your current permission to stay.

fortunately it's looking like I won't have to surrender my current passport while waiting for the new one. Just present it when i make the application in person and ask for hit back then and there.

I think what will happen is that once I submit my application for a new one they may do the punch hole action on my current passport.  I assume that's what they do if you request the current passport returned via post.

Edited by StandardIssue

21 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Or, as I am going to do, apply in person and ask for it back at the appointment. I don't like doing this kind of important business relying on Thai post.

• Confused 1

51 minutes ago, edwardflory said:

PINK ID CARD,  and a YELOW HOUSE BOOK, make life MUCH easier in Thailand.

They help to open bank accounts, travel, and other things by showing you are a """resident"""

A driver license is not that powerful but is very useful.

The pink ID card has your name in Thai script ONLY whereas a Thai ID card AND ticket/boarding pass, has the name in English.

Minimum security checks for both name and photo.

I am sure that someone will claim that they have managed to board a domestic flight with a pink ID card, and despite being recognized by the authorities as an acceptable photo ID for foreigners, I would stick with the Thai DL.

Edited by NanLaew
  • Agree 2

Just now, StandardIssue said:

Or, as I am going to do, apply in person and ask for it back at the appointment. I don't like doing this kind of important business relying on Thai post.

Hope that works for you.  For me (Chiangmai), I had no option other than to do it by mail to Bangkok......as there are no appointments available at the CM US Consulate for adult passport renewals.

Presuming the Bangkok Embassy will immediately give you back your old passport, won't it have a hole punched in it?  And, if so, will a domestic airline care about that?  I don't know.

7 minutes ago, StandardIssue said:

fortunately it's looking like I won't have to surrender my current passport while waiting for the new one. Just present it when i make the application in person and ask for hit back then and there.

I think what will happen is that once I submit my application for a new one they may do the punch hole action on my current passport.  I assume that's what they do if you request the current passport returned via post.

Thats the way it works for us Brits when applying for a replacement passport in person at VFS.

The best option is of course to call the embassy and ask them what the process is - as it seems experiences have varied. 

2 minutes ago, CMBob said:

Hope that works for you.  For me (Chiangmai), I had no option other than to do it by mail to Bangkok......as there are no appointments available at the CM US Consulate for adult passport renewals.

Presuming the Bangkok Embassy will immediately give you back your old passport, won't it have a hole punched in it?  And, if so, will a domestic airline care about that?  I don't know.

I doubt they'd notice it. I'll make sure and get a receipt from the Embassy showing I've applied, the money paid blah blah blah. The punched passport + that stuff would presumably allow me to fly International.

Anybody want to weigh in on that? Is a punched passport OK for international flights as long as it's not expired or past the 6 months left requirement? that is another interesting question that would be good have an answer too.