Today I met the first farang returning home because of exchange rate

nofarang

1 hour ago, nauseus said:

The real "days" were late Jan / early Feb 1998, when the pound briefly went to 90 after the 1997 tom yam kung party.

In the early 80's, 35 was common and the pound briefly went to 28 during that period (1984).

So 43 is only a fair average over the last 10 years. People coming here should be prepared for less. 

All true. Gawd forbid you arrived in that golden period after the Tom Yam Kung crisis and thought that 90 baht was going to last forever. 

I have a recollection that the official exchange rate was fixed until the early 90's, although you could get a better street rate? 

I did see a street rate of around 37 in approx 2019, a fair few expats exited around them but also from memory that was at the height of the TM30 debacle. 

Thailand seems to present the expatriate community with a new crisis every couple of years. 

31 minutes ago, theblether said:

All true. Gawd forbid you arrived in that golden period after the Tom Yam Kung crisis and thought that 90 baht was going to last forever. 

I have a recollection that the official exchange rate was fixed until the early 90's, although you could get a better street rate? 

I did see a street rate of around 37 in approx 2019, a fair few expats exited around them but also from memory that was at the height of the TM30 debacle. 

Thailand seems to present the expatriate community with a new crisis every couple of years. 

I also experienced the 28 baht in 1984. But 1998 was good for me, even for those few days.

The peg to the USD was quite tight for a long time - not so for the pound as far as I remember.

The fluctuations are not all Thailand's doing but 1997 was an exception.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, nauseus said:

I also experienced the 28 baht in 1984. But 1998 was good for me, even for those few days.

The peg to the USD was quite tight for a long time - not so for the pound as far as I remember.

The fluctuations are not all Thailand's doing but 1997 was an exception.

I'm pretty sure it was pegged at 25 to the $ through the Eighties. It was a big step to release the peg and without getting out of my comfort zone ( I'm not an economist ) the release and flow of money supply contributed to the Tom Yam Kung crisis. 

The enduring result of that crisis has been an enduring worry about the public debt ratio. Thailand's is unusually low, which stifles investment in public services, but still more than double what it was before the crisis. 

• Agree 1

16 minutes ago, it is what it is said:
On 9/16/2024 at 11:55 AM, ChaiyaTH said:

I don't get all this exchange rate talk, we are way higher than the previous low was and it still looks good on the long term too. 

depends on your perspective, i remember when it was over 70 baht to the GBP

Exactly, those that arrived 20 years ago  enjoyed a 70bht/GBP rate, and measured their savings on that exchange rate.

If they did everything legal (I don't mention those on the forum that think they can beat the system forever), they won't have had an index increase on their pensions, though the exchange rate has declined.

Edited by CallumWK

On 9/16/2024 at 5:37 AM, NanLaew said:

Under 43?

Maybe he fell in love with Thailand in the last eight years or so after being the semi-annual two-week millionaire, but mistakenly decided to retire early?

Meanwhile, many pensioners with a bit more foresight who have embraced the importance of having a budget are coping well.

probably because they maintain a UK address on the fly or some such hack.

18 hours ago, BuddyPish said:

The whole world is diversifying away from the USD. 
It's a peso-in-waiting - 35 trillion dollars of debt can never be repaid, only inflated away and that means a rout in the USD.

People say that but what other currency is in any better state? The Yuan, the Rouble, the Euro, the Yen ha ha. They are all mickey mouse now. No country will ever pay off their National Debt.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, John Drake said:

Why not? I've been hearing about doom for the dollar since 1971. And it's always the cranks and the kooks who are leading the parade. People like Peter Schiff have been predicting an eminent dollar collapse for 20 years. The only thing that collapsed, however, was his bank in Puerto Rico. They're out there today stronger than ever, doomsday preppers thinking that a dollar collapse is right around the country. They'll spend their lives and go to their graves thinking they were right, while the world marches onwards. With the dollar as the reserve currency.

Dollar might or might not collapse, but bitcoin is trending towards becoming the worlds reserve currency. Probably in your lifetime

10 hours ago, freedomnow said:
On 9/16/2024 at 11:37 AM, NanLaew said:

Under 43?

Maybe he fell in love with Thailand in the last eight years or so after being the semi-annual two-week millionaire, but mistakenly decided to retire early?

Meanwhile, many pensioners with a bit more foresight who have embraced the importance of having a budget are coping well.

probably because they maintain a UK address on the fly or some such hack.

You mean possibly? I know of three that have totally burned their bridges, but are not in dire straits due to the 'rules' changing back home.

If people, like the OP's mate, did a bit more due-diligence on their overseas retirement plans, they would probably save themselves a lot of drama. For example, a guy I worked with discovered Pattaya around the same time I did, both in our late 20's. He partied like anyone else but at the same time, he bought himself a condo on Jomtien. Now he's on a Retirement Extension and doesn't have to worry about rent, proof of address, 800 k baht in the bank, etc.. Another guy I worked with around the same time invested in shophouses first and then, over the years, built and flipped six homes. He's in his mid 70's now and is up in Chiang Rai with his wife, volunteering on the flood relief effort. He probably gave me the best advice when he advised me never to retire too early, as there are too many things that can arise in the future that you have no control over. He's still doing 2 or 3 consulting jobs each year, same as me, just keeping the accounts topped up.

Edited by NanLaew
  • Agree 2

14 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Where was it reported that he is aged under 43?

In the OP.

On 9/16/2024 at 11:12 AM, nofarang said:

He said, he loves it here but cannot afford it anymore. As the pound constantly on its way down life for him becomes unbearable expensive. At present under 43 and with the bleak prospective of sliding further he is forced to pull the brake. He was on his way back home. I wonder how many more have given up....

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, chiang mai said:
12 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

In the OP.

I think 43 is the exchange rate, not his age.

Ah yes... correct.

More coffee (less speed-reading)!

Apart from that, my sage advice still stands.

Edited by NanLaew
  • Love It 1

7 minutes ago, patman30 said:

that graph shows the rate getting better overall.....
you can tell because where it ends up is higher than where it started
*just in case you need help to understand the graph🙃

Oh, OK then! It's just that you said the rate has been in the mid 40's for years, which it hasn't. In case you need help, mid stands for middle! Pre-covid, GBP/THB was trending stronger into the high 30's. The trend very clearly was for a stronger THB and that's where it is headed once again, that's the fear and the risk.

Screenshot(124).png.6547ef21e22667551f192acc739961dc.png

Edited by chiang mai